Wire Worms

• 3 Replies

Lee G

• Experienced Member
Wire Worms
« on: December 01, 2008, 15:25 »
Collected a big pile of manure Saturday, unfortunately it's quite fresh so will need to leave it a while (although it was, quite literally, steaming!!).  However, although mainly straw based, it did contain a fair bit of sawdust.  No problem thought I, it's organic and will rot down, certainly causes no problems in my compost bins at home - the kids have rabbits so when I clean them out (Dads get all the best jobs don't they?) it all gets put in with the kitchen and garden waste.

However, when I was down the allotment emptying the van, one of the old fella's ambled over and said "you want to be careful, wood chippings will encourage wire worms".

I thanked him for his help (through gritted teeth if I'm honest, after shovelling that much sh, manure, I didn't want any negative vibes)  I've since done some searching on t'internet and not really come up with a fat lot of info, anyone out there enlighten me?

mikem

• Experienced Member
Wire Worms
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 15:35 »
I haven't heard of that but no doubt others will respond.  However I believe that sawdust is supposed to leach nitrogen out of the soil.  My soil needed better structure as it is heavy clay (you could throw pots from it once you dig down a bit) so I put as much on as I can get and I deal with any nitrogen loss with growmore, fish blood and bone etc.

Salmo

Wire Worms
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 17:55 »
Why might there be a connection between wood shavings and wireworm? I would be interested to know if it is true. When you see your freind again try and find out what his theory is.

Wireworms are the lavae of the click beetle. It lays its eggs on grass and the lavae feed for 2 years on the roots. Usually only see then after freshly dug in grass. Sometimes they can come in manure if the heap has been left and grass has grown on it. It is called a click beetle because when it is put on its back it flicks its body which flings it about 6 inches in the air, presumably to escape its enemies. When it does so there is an audible 'click'. Honest, it is true!!!!

Lee G

• Experienced Member
Wire Worms
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 19:33 »
I found a decent site that confirmed sawdust is ok to use - yes it can leach nitrogen out of the soil if it's not well rotted, and it does take longer to rot down, although green waste (i.e grass cuttings, young weeds etc) can accelerate it, it's all about the balance.

And no mention at all about it being linked to wire worm Salmo, so I think that may be an old wives tale - or, more accurately, an old allontmonteers tale.

I'm just relieved that all my efforts over the weekend were not in vain - I may have to wait a year to use it but that's better than not being able to use it at all.

xx
Wire Worms ?

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 15:59
by paintedlady
xx
wire worms

Started by ralph on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 21:43
by sunshineband
xx
sweet potatoes and wire worms

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2015, 21:00
by 3759allen
xx
Wire Worm

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 12:52
by willnbirdie

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 36 queries.