new to this, help/advice, prolapse I think

• 35 Replies

naughty nick

• Wilbarston Allotments
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:15 »
hello people, one of my rhode islands has a very messy rear end this morning and I have had a look at her with out picking her up as she is not one of the tame ones yet, but it seems there is something not quite right there :( , I'm a bit nervous to try and push anything back inside in case I do something wrong as I have never done this before  :oops: ,  any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :(

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:29 »
A pic would be a great help Nick, but keep her separate from the rest for now, if it is a prolapse then they will peck at it  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:33 »
Think you are really going to have to pick her up znd have a good look at her and as Rich said if you can post a pic that would be helpful.

There is some info here although I confess I haven't read it through, it may help.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=9858
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 12:47 »
If it is a prolapse...gently push it back in with your fingers and wash her bottom. As was said...isolate her somewhere snug and warm.Other hens could actually eat her alive if left with them!!! :x  :x  It will do her a lot more good to put it back then to leave it...I promise you!!! She will probably need a shot of anti-inflammatory from the vet. Good luck.  :D

naughty nick

• Wilbarston Allotments
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 13:13 »
I think Ive done this right              well it should be a picture, Hopefully :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 13:26 »
Is that prolapsed tissue or just mucky feathers ?

naughty nick

• Wilbarston Allotments
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 13:39 »
I can sort of see some bumpy bits that look reddish in it, Im just reluctant to pick her up and start proding :(

Bodger

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 13:40 »
I'd cull the bird. If it is a prolapse, even if you do manage to push it back in there, the chances are that she'll be back to square one the next time that she tries to lay an egg. She now has an inherent weakness.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 13:43 »
Think you might have to bite the bullet and pick her up. If you wash off the muck with a bit of warm water you'll (and us if you post a pic) be able to see better what is going on. If there is a lump of tissue sticking out from her vent it really does need putting back in as the swelling from it being out will only make it worse. If you lubricate it with a bit of veg oil and gently apply steady pressure it should go back in.

naughty nick

• Wilbarston Allotments
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 13:53 »
I will wait until they are all settled tonight and lift her out and give a gentle wash and see what I can push back in,   I dont think she is laying yet any way as she is only about 19 weeks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 14:40 »
Wash is very clean with lukewarm water with a little bit of salt in.  Smear it with hemorrhoid cream before gently easing it back in with a well lubricated tiny finger.

The hemorrhoid cream will reduce the swelling !

Keep her apart from the other birds and give reduced feed rations to try to inhibit egg laying.

If it happens again you have a few choices !  One of which is Bodgers.

Bodger

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 15:15 »
I must just point out, that this is not just my advice but that its common practice amongst the majority of poultry keepers.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 15:26 »
Quite so Bodger !

It really depends why you are keeping the chooks -  Food producers, show birds or pets.

My vet even spays pet hens with an eggy problem  :wink:

Bodger

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 15:30 »
I keep my chickens for enjoyment and not for any commercial gain . I hopefully keep them in the best conditions possible and I feel that I owe it to them not to cause unnecessary suffering.
Why would vets be required to spay chickens ? Surely it wouldn't be as simple as spaying a cat, because to stop hens laying eggs whether fertile or infertile a great deal would have to be removed. Its not the sort of animal welfare that I'd aspire to. :shock: In addition, most vets, unless they saw the pound signs, would be very sceptical about performing such an operation.

There is one particular strain of hybrid laying duck which has been bred to such an extreme in the cause of laying literally hundreds of eggs, where this condition is very prevalent.  IMO and that of others its very creation is  unethical and having had some, I'd never have them again or advise others to either.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 15:35 »
Do hope it's ok when you get to have a good look at her tonight. Will keep my fingers crossed that this is all a panic over just some poo stuck to her bum.

I've been lucky and never had this problem but I have read as Bodger says, that once they have had a prolapse it can recur again and again and the best and kindest option if this happens can be to cull. I really hope it doesn't come to this :cry:

clip
Prolapse

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 16:53
by nerdle
xx
Help! Prolapse

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 16:56
by Pretty Chick
xx
Prolapse

Started by Beano on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 09:35
by Beano
xx
Prolapse

Started by Beano on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 12:26
by Beano

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 37 queries.