When to get seed poatatoes ?

• 14 Replies

garddwr

« on: November 21, 2008, 22:34 »
I am unsure of when to get seed potatoes as they are available online now and are probably going to be sold out by January,but I would like to buy local and they probably won't be in till January at least. Is it worth paying the extra postage price and geting them online or just wait and see what local garden centres/stores will have in ? When do wilkos usaly have their garden range (seeds,seed spuds,equipment e.t.c) in ?

thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 22:38 »
Don't panic!!!

There will be loads in the stores come January. Apart from Wilkos, any reasonable garden centre as well as the big DIY stores will have them.

Personally, I would not entertain paying postage on seed spuds, but I appreciate some are in a position whereby they have no choice.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 22:40 »
Feb would be early enough for me. I'd not pay seed catalogue prices overpriced IMHO try your local garden centres nearer the time, you could even ask them now to see who stocks them when they are in season.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

garddwr

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 22:47 »
Panic over then,thanks for that

there are plenty of good garden centres nearby.

Will they be sold per kilo or per spud or what ? and are they expensive ?

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 22:53 »
There should be plenty of seed potatoes down your way next year.
Expect to pay £4 or there abouts for 2.5kg from a good garden centre.
make sure it is Scottish seed and you will be fine. :lol:
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 22:57 »
The large chain garden centres will sell them by weight, pre-bagged.

I use a family run one, which sells them by weight, but you can pick the spuds out individually.

Last year they were £1 a kilo for all varieties, a massive increase on the 99p the year before. Expect to pay a lot more at somewhere like Wyevale. Wilkos are about the same price as my garden centre, but have a restricted selection.

Of the top of my head on average you'd get 20 to 30 in a kilo.

garddwr

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 23:02 »
sounds ideal Dave and IainJBA,thanks

A Kilo of First and Second early and two kilos main crop should be plenty to keep a family of 4 in spuds all year round do you think ?

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 23:03 »
Quote from: "DD."
The large chain garden centres will sell them by weight, pre-bagged.

I use a family run one, which sells them by weight, but you can pick the spuds out individually.

Last year they were £1 a kilo for all varieties, a massive increase on the 99p the year before. Expect to pay a lot more at somewhere like Wyevale. Wilkos are about the same price as my garden centre, but have a restricted selection.

Of the top of my head on average you'd get 20 to 30 in a kilo.

Now I was having a bit count up of the average tubers we have in our nets and so far for potatoes graded on a 35x60mm Size the results were-
1.5kg = 17 tubers
2.5kg= 28 tubers

Now some varieties are bigger than others and you don't get as many small ones but that was conducted using 15 different varieties and should give a good reference point I hope.

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 23:11 »
Quote from: "garddwr"

A Kilo of First and Second early and two kilos main crop should be plenty to keep a family of 4 in spuds all year round do you think ?

if you can pick out all the nice small potatoes you could get 30 tubers in a kilo so that would give you 120 tubers in total.
Lets just say that each tuber grows 10 tubers and they weigh 200grams each.
Now lets just say there are 125 200gram potatoes in a 25kg sack.
So how many 25kg sacks does your family eat.
Garddwr you could do to change your back ground colour on your blog to light green as I can hardly read the black text on the blog. :)

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 00:45 »
If you are going to chit your seed you will need it 6 weeks before you expect to plant.
Buy seed that has not started to shoot. Many of the gargen centres keep them too warm and they start to grow too soon.
How to chit?
The aim of chitting is to advance the lifecycle of the potato so that when it is planted it immediately produces a root system.

When you get the seed, store it cool but frost free until about 6 weeks before you expect to plant.
At that point bring the seed into the warm for about a week or 10 days. This will break the dormancy and they will produce shoots (chits) in the eyes.
Once you can see chits, move the seed into a cool place with plenty of light. They will only grow slowly and the light will keep the chits short. If you keep them in the dark the chits will become leggy and are easily knocked off when handling.

Earlies and second earlies will bulk up earlier as they have already started their life cycle.

Maincrop will also bulk up sooner, which may be an advantage in a blight year if you need to cut the tops off. The other advantage is that if the planting conditions are poor you can wait almost until May and lose very little as the potato clock will still be ticking in your shed.

A final comment on how many seed to a kg? It is common agricultural practice to plant by weight and not by number. i.e. small seed slightly closer and big seed further apart. Thus a kg of seed should always plant the same row length. Average earlies 12 inches and maincrop 15 inches.

garddwr

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 09:41 »
Quote from: "Iain@JBA"
Quote from: "garddwr"

if you can pick out all the nice small potatoes you could get 30 tubers in a kilo so that would give you 120 tubers in total.
Lets just say that each tuber grows 10 tubers and they weigh 200grams each.
Now lets just say there are 125 200gram potatoes in a 25kg sack.
So how many 25kg sacks does your family eat.
Garddwr you could do to change your back ground colour on your blog to light green as I can hardly read the black text on the blog. :)

Thanks

The background colour is blue Iain and the font in light cream,I don't get diffulcity.

garddwr

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 09:42 »
Quote from: "Salmo"
If you are going to chit your seed you will need it 6 weeks before you expect to plant.
Buy seed that has not started to shoot. Many of the gargen centres keep them too warm and they start to grow too soon.
How to chit?
The aim of chitting is to advance the lifecycle of the potato so that when it is planted it immediately produces a root system.

When you get the seed, store it cool but frost free until about 6 weeks before you expect to plant.
At that point bring the seed into the warm for about a week or 10 days. This will break the dormancy and they will produce shoots (chits) in the eyes.
Once you can see chits, move the seed into a cool place with plenty of light. They will only grow slowly and the light will keep the chits short. If you keep them in the dark the chits will become leggy and are easily knocked off when handling.

Earlies and second earlies will bulk up earlier as they have already started their life cycle.

Maincrop will also bulk up sooner, which may be an advantage in a blight year if you need to cut the tops off. The other advantage is that if the planting conditions are poor you can wait almost until May and lose very little as the potato clock will still be ticking in your shed.

A final comment on how many seed to a kg? It is common agricultural practice to plant by weight and not by number. i.e. small seed slightly closer and big seed further apart. Thus a kg of seed should always plant the same row length. Average earlies 12 inches and maincrop 15 inches.

Thanks for that great advice there.

fatbelly

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 09:56 »
Last season I bought my Earlies from Wilkos in mid January and my maincrop in mid March from my Lottie shop.

Come January and February all the Garden Centers are full of them.
You will be spoilt for choice. I would never consider paying postage from a mail order supplier because you have so much choice from the Garden Centres, Wilkos and B & Q type places.

I think the best place to get them from is either Wilkos or B & Q.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 10:15 »
Hi.. going again'st the general run of this thread,
I ordered my tat's on line this year.
Simply because last year locally, there was very little choice at the G/Center. plus they were expensive, average £4/5 per bag 2/2.5kgs.
This year ordered 5 varieties of my choice, 3kgs or each.
Yes I've spent a few more bob, even allowing for postage,
double or more tatties, I'm still in pocket.

I'ts each to there own realy,

Bye PAH :) 'in

fatbelly

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 10:20 »
Quote from: "PAH48"

It's each to there own really,

I agree.......But one thing is for sure you will get plenty of choice wherever you get them from. So don't think you have to buy or order immediately.

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
How do you sow seed?

Started by Asherweef on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 17:10
by JayG

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 36 queries.