What are they?

• 11 Replies

twinsane

What are they?
« on: November 17, 2008, 22:16 »
Hi all. I'm hoping I can get some advice.
I intended to start keeping chickens for eggs and occasionally meat (lots of questions about that but that's another topic). I have been in the process of planning, clearing and building/converting a house and run and I'd ordered some eggs to hatch which should be here this week. Everything is ready for hatching chicks. I thought I had plenty of time until they go outside so I wasn't rushing. Yesterday, I had a surprise box left by my back gate. When I looked inside, it contained two of these. :scratch:

I had no where to put them so I hastily emptied the greenhouse - as you can tell by the cherry tomatoes on the floor! -  and they are in there for now. Can anyone have an educated guess as to what breed they are? I know it's difficult with the state of the feathers. Those white areas are bald patches. Is this the moult? They are very smelly too.
As well as the breed I'd also like to ask if l'd be able to introduce my chickens (not counting htem before they've hatched honest!)  to these two once they've settled? Or do I take the huge step and perform my first dispatching :shock:(which will be difficult as one already follows me around the garden like a shadow). Would they instead be useful and produce eggs while I'm waiting for mine to grow?  :?

Bodger

What are they?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 22:20 »
They are egg laying hybrids that look as though they are going through the moult. When they've got their feathers back they should lay you plenty of eggs. They wont be very good for meat

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What are they?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 22:20 »
They  look ex battery to me, so either ISA's, Warrens, Calder Rangers, Goldlines.  One of the hybrids anyway!  Poor little things.

There certainly are some strange people around!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

What are they?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 22:20 »
I'm no expert but could they be ex battery hens, something like Warrens.
Don't look like there would be much meat on them for eating so hopefully they will produce you some eggs to say thank you for taking them in.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
What are they?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 22:25 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
They are egg laying hybrids that look as though they are going through the moult. When they've got their feathers back they should lay you plenty of eggs. They wont be very good for meat

I agree mine look just like this "manky"  :lol:  but they will come back onto lay like Bodger says, give them some time and good food they will be fine.

You should be able to introduce the 2 lots together but not I would have thought until they are big enough to look after themselves eg 16+ weeks but Bodger and the gang will know better

I have no idea about the smelly bit perhaps it's the conditions they where kept in :?:

Welcome to the forums btw :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Bodger

What are they?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 22:55 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
They  look ex battery to me, so either ISA's, Warrens, Calder Rangers, Goldlines.  One of the hybrids anyway!  Poor little things.

There certainly are some strange people around!!!!!

You looking at me ? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What are they?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 23:34 »
Does your cap fit Bodger?????   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
No, silly, I meant who ever left those 2 poor chooks on the doorstep.  In my day they used to leave babies in boxes on steps, not chickens!!!!!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

twinsane

What are they?
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 00:21 »
Wow you lot are on the ball! I only went away for a cuppa and got replies already! :lol:

Thank you very much for your answers and thanks for the welcome Rich. To be honest, I'm glad they're layers. I wasn't relishing the idea of my first dispatch.

Will the stress of the move or the moult affect their appetite? I've given them layers pellets but they didn't eat them - they did redeocrate the greenhouse with them though. I've also tried porridge which they left. I added a 1/4 tsp poultry spice so maybe they didn't like that? One of them is scratching around the garden and they both love the grain (one follows me everywhere in the hope of more and if I go out of sight and she didnt see, she runs to catch up!). Maybe they've had mash before and don't recognise pellets? Can I just soak them in water and give them that?

twinsane

What are they?
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 00:28 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
In my day they used to leave babies in boxes on steps, not chickens!!!!!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I admit it was a surprise (it was my birthday on Friday so I'm wondering if they are a gift and I missed the donor) but I'm glad it was chickens, I'm sure the greenhouse is too cold for babies at this time of year :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
What are they?
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:48 »
With the food it sounds mean but give them pellets and nothing else for a few days/week until they learn to eat them. Give a little corn about an hour before bed time this will help keep them warm overnight. They love corn/grain and will eat that rather than anything else but it's not the best thing for them. Don't forget to give them a little grit and oyster shell.

compostqueen

What are they?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 12:39 »
read the hen house threads as there is everything there you need to know and more  :D

They eat the layers pellets if you give them no treats. They need them for continued egg production and to keep them in good health.  You'll see in the hen house ideas for treats and what they like and what's good for them etc

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
What are they?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 13:16 »
:) Hey lucky you - free chickens!  Agree with the consensus that they look like ex-batts (mine were the same - very smelly and generally not in very good nick).  

Ex batts make lovey pets as they can be particularly tame and inquisitive.  Mine are also the equivalent of dustbins with feathers - they eat tonnes and poo the same!  If the pellets fail you could try mash.  I also had a huge problem with food wastage because they make such a mess when eating so I've resorted to one of those feeders with a wire grid over the top which has helped loads.  Loads of eggs (altho I have a persistant soft egg layer but that's another story).

Enjoy!!   :wink:
Mad chicken woman

Page created in 0.982 seconds with 36 queries.