How much for a family of 4?

• 14 Replies

triage999

« on: February 22, 2007, 09:38 »
I apologise if there is a post asking this already  :roll:

Can we start a list of produce with how much it is likely to produce in a season

For example how many cucumber plants would be sufficient to keep a family of four and maybe parents in cucumbers through out the summer?

How many tomato plants or courgette plants will we need, I don't know how many courgettes are produced on one plant  :oops:

I really do not want to end up with a huge glut, but would like to give away to a few people aswell if I could.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:45 »
Ha!  If we could answer that, we wouldn't need so many emergency recipes for courgettes and runner beans  :lol:

It all depends on how much veg your family eats, whether you want extra for freezing, and how well your plants do - vague enough for you?

One of my books gives yields for row length, will fish it out when the nipper goes back to school on Monday.

Runner bean curry for tea (planted rather too many of those...)  :shock:

triage999

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:56 »
I love Runners and could quite happily eat them everyday with boiled potatoes and gravy  :D

I just wanted a rough estimate really  :oops:  did not realise it was a how long is a piece of string question.

The book would be good though just to get a rough guesstimate

BAK

• BK This and That
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:17 »
2 cucumber plants and 3-4 courgette plants are probably more than enough.

Re tomatoes, you need to decide what your criteria are: just to eat fresh then say 4-6 plants; cook / freeze as well as eat fresh then at least a dozen, preferably more. We have around 24 plants but we freeze a lot (boiled up and reduced by 75-80%) to use in winter soups and for making tomato-based sauces, eg for spag bol. For two of us (although we do make lots of soup) it keeps us going until the following June/July

triage999

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 10:40 »
Thanks for that :)

wellingtons

I'd go for 3 courgette plants ...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 11:28 »
... I fed myself and my son and my entire office on 3 courgette plants last year ...  :lol:

For things like beans, lettuce, spinach ... successional sowing is a good idea, then you get a steady flow rather than 3 weeks where you can't look at another bean!

It's a bit hit and miss I'm afraid, you'll be better at it in the second year and even better by the third!

BAK

• BK This and That
Have some reserves
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:23 »
Sorry if this is blindingly obvious but I should have added .. whatever number of plants you choose always have one or two in reserve to cover for the odd plant that dies off before it gets established (for a myriad of reasons).

Also, climbing beans have been mentioned: for runner beans, 3-4lbs per foot (double row) is reasonable. Can be more (or less) depending on variety and season, eg runners did not like the extreme heat in July last summer; for climbing french (if you grow them - they coped a bit better with the heat) 1.5-2.5lbs per foot (double row again).

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:26 »
Sorry, when I saw the title I thought it was an auction.

I'll go now. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 12:34 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Sorry, when I saw the title I thought it was an auction.

I'll go now.
 :lol:  :lol: Don't think even eBay has got a category for that yet!

wellingtons

Bak's suggestion ...
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 12:50 »
... about reserve plants is a good one, but just don't do what I do which is plant them all even if not required ... I can't bear to throw one away!   :lol:

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 13:20 »
Part of the fun of having an allotmnet is dealing with the surplus. Being clever in the kitchen helps here but do not underestimate the barter aspect. Any good crop has a value and if it is in excess of your needs then swap for something else.

Judging quantities for your needs is almost imposible as crops will vary according to weather conditions. May I suggest that you start by writing down your normal shop purchases and multiplying up for a years consumption. If we know how many kilos you eat, there is a better chance of getting accurate planting guides.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Bak's suggestion ...
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 13:33 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
... about reserve plants is a good one, but just don't do what I do which is plant them all even if not required ... I can't bear to throw one away!   :lol:

I'm afraid I'm the same as you there wellies, that's why I ended up with 117 tomato plants, but I'm gradually getting through them all, only got about 50lbs left in the freezer now!!!!!

And I'm getting very good at Passata, it takes up sooooo much less room!!!

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 13:46 »
Good tip about courgettes I got from the Real Seed Catalogue is that "in general you get a set amount of produce per square foot of plant," so be clear about whether you've chosen dwarf bushes or big vines. I had 4 of the variety  'Tondo di Piacenza'  which produced far too many for 2 of us. Also, pick them very small, they're much nicer (I kept finding marrows that had mysteriously grown when I wasn't looking - even though I looked every day!)
Martin

muntjac

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 13:57 »
can i just say there is no such thingb as a glut  if you have " surplus " please remember the older folks in the village / area  you may have over 60s clubs and the like so if you find yourself in a bind with stuff take it there  or a hospice like the one we have here can always use a free feed , and if you treat the oldies to a meal of fresh stuff you will be suprised at  " when i grew them when i was younger i used to blah blah blah .. tips come in usefull  :wink:
still alive /............

triage999

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 15:38 »
Fantastic, thanks everyone ) I am just out to put glass roof on greenhouse now while it is not raining for 2 mins!!! hopefully will have it up and running by the weekend!!

Just had an email to rehome some battery hens too which I am looking at doing towards the end of the year :)

xx
family apple and family pear trees

Started by clifford149 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 15:07
by WG.
xx
Fun for all the family......

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 15:52
by weeeed
xx
4.5m x 1.2m of spuds - enough for a family?

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 16:45
by shaun
xx
Family Trees

Started by Linexe on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 16:04
by Trillium

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 37 queries.