Moving/ spliting Comfry?

• 18 Replies

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« on: November 16, 2008, 21:01 »
Hi,

Need a bit of advice about comfry?

I have three plants, legacy from previous tenant, now I've cut them back, they are about 6" to 8" across on the crown. They are not where I want them. What prep work do I need to do to move them and or split them into smaller plants. :?

Now hold on everyone, I'm not moving them yet.  :) . But It maybe the case before Christmas. Dependant on digging. I'm sure I'll make lots of new friends when I do!
Now your grips too strong
You can't catch love with a net or a gun
Gotta keep faith that your path will change
Gotta keep faith that your luck will change tomorrow
'James'

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 21:17 »
They are very easy to take root cuttings from, but a pain to move as the roots go deep.
easiest way to take root cuttings I found was to chop the roots into 1-2" pieces lay them in a seed tray and cover with 50:50 sand:peat mix, that way you don't have to remember which way is "up" for the roots, keep them somewhere sheltered and don't let them dry out and you should get a new plant from every bit , somewhat like couch grass but more useful  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 21:53 »
Dig a hole, chuck the bits in and watch them grow next year!!!!  I moved my original plant that was in a pot, but a bit of root went through the bottom of the pot into the ground at the side of the old patio, 3 years later and many diggings, its still growing!!!  and so are all the other bits that I've planted, chucked out, given away........... lol

LucasAndRichard

Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 21:57 »
So does that make it good or bad stuff??!!??

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 22:02 »
Both  :lol:  good if you want it bad if you don't, I once read that a double or triple row ( can't remember which ) along a border would stop couch grass coming through  probably would too if staggered planting

LucasAndRichard

Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 22:20 »
So, out of interest, why would one want it?? :shock:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 22:23 »
Quote from: "LucasAndRichard"

Oh sorry it's mainly used by us folks to make comfrey tea, which is a great liquid feed for fruiting plants etc also has other uses on the plot as a compost accelerator, and has herbal uses for the quick healing of breaks etc.
to name just a few  :D

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 22:38 »
richyrich7:
which is a great liquid feed for fruiting plants etc

Which explains why its sat right behind, what i think are, three loganberry canes.

LucasAndRichard

Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 22:47 »
Ah ha!  My son is having a major op next year, involving breaking both femurs and his pelvis in two places...I need to get me some of this!  (As well as to feed the raspberries!) - any tips on suppliers?
L

muntjac

Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:07 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Oh sorry it's mainly used by us folks to make comfrey tea, which is a great liquid feed for fruiting plants etc also has other uses on the plot as a compost accelerator, and has herbal uses for the quick healing of breaks etc.
to name just a few  :D

and its a fantastic green feed for chickens and other poultry , and it tastes good for kitchen as a veggie once a week   also it has great healing properties for burns " acne and even bone breaks .

for  skin cream  get a ounce of comfrey and half cup virgin olive oil .1 egg yolk and half cup water shove through as mixer and put in a screw top jar n stick in the fridge , shove it on minor burns n scratches :)
still alive /............

compostqueen

Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:47 »
it's widely grown by plotters for its magic properties for turning waste green stuff into compost, and feeding plants. You can even fold up a leaf and plant it under your plant as a slow release food.  Have a look on Google for it's chemical properties as it gives you the NPK and all that jazz

Folks grow it by their compo bins so it's to hand.  I have a comfrey pipe where I bung in handfulls of leaves and they rot and drip their liquid gold which gets diluted and used as organic plant food

The old guys plant it along their bean rows.  The well behaved stuff is Bocking 14 from the Organic Gardening catalogue but you might be able to cade some from your fellow gardeners

I have some of the giant leafed Russian stuff at home. It's fantastic  :D

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 10:11 »
Excuse the idiot, but the the heck is a comfrey pipe?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 10:46 »
Ah ha!  My son is having a major op next year, involving breaking both femurs and his pelvis in two places...I need to get me some of this!  (As well as to feed the raspberries!) - any tips on suppliers?
L

I think you need to wrap the leaves around the break, can't quite remember the exact details.

PM me your address and I'll send you a bit of root.

noshed

Moving/ spliting Comfry?
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 14:27 »
A comfrey pipe is what you smoke when sitting outside yer shed, viewing the lovelines of yer plot.
More traditionally it's a bit of plastic pipe or some joined-together plastic bottles which you stuff with comfrey leaves. Let them rot and drip into another receptacle (usually through a small hole in the bottom plastic bottle.)
I just put my leaves into an old onion bag and put them in a big bin of water for a few weeks. If you do this it is important to remember to water the comfrey tea in just before you leave the plot for the day and definately not just before you want to eat your sandwiches.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
comfry

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 18, 2007, 17:52
by milkman
xx
Comfry

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2020, 09:15
by al78
xx
Comfry tea anyone

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 13:06
by arugula
xx
comfry

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 09:37
by cadalot

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 37 queries.