do u seprate the bully or the picked on girl

• 15 Replies

karlooben

« on: November 16, 2008, 17:05 »
i have yet another girl that dont seem al that good  she perfers to be in the house all the time but she will go out and about if i put her out with the others but then she goes an stays on her own tucked away behind somewhere . 2nite i was watching them though partly opened doors to the house and 2 of the new girls were really pecking her head an bascailly scaring her so what birds do i seperate although with having the babies apart at the mo i dont really have the room or the time until next weekend to build yet another tempary home ,. there was one that joined her in the nest box that seemed to try an protect this other one i am confused on what to do.

also she does seems to be eating but not as much as the others am wandering if she still has a bit of that cold the others had ,i have been giving her tiny amounts of antibiotics with water .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 17:09 »
How about taking the bullies out? Put them elsewhere if you have the room and then in a couple of weeks put them back.....their pecking order should have dropped by then! :)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 17:53 »
i know someone was going to say that lol  only prob unless i stand  there for ages watching them i am not quite sure whos the main bully .

the new girls are all pretty much the same so i cant tell them apart.

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 20:15 »
Quote from: "karlooben"
i know someone was going to say that lol  only prob unless i stand  there for ages watching them i am not quite sure whos the main bully .

the new girls are all pretty much the same so i cant tell them apart.

You are gonna have to stay around for a bit longer!!!

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 20:39 »
i will have to i've kinda getting a soft spot for this girl sat with her for quite a while during the day today talking to her but she wasnt get picked on then always the way   everthing happens when u aint got time to sort it out  :cry:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 20:45 »
My 2 ambers (roastie and Paxo) are still in solitary confinement cause they just love pulling feathers out of the others. its not too much of a problem for the top girls as they just give them a hard peck back but tilly and bokky just stand there and get plucked which is horrid to watch (especially when bokky has to brace herself cause paxo is pulling on her feathers so hard :( )
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 20:50 »
cant   that upset them to much that they dont want to go back to the others when things have calmed down i seem to read that on her quite a bit .

heehehehee  if i could have her indoors with me i really have something for her bless  :D .

we have a new guy whos looking at taking on a plot an hes an old farmer an really misses everything and hes like wow chickens so now he will have some on there which is cool as he says he knows , so i mentioned my poorly girl and i asked him what could be wrong an he was like 'well we just killed our sick birds ' :lol:  :lol:  well that helped me out loads didnt it .

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 21:00 »
I was hoping that by removing the feather pluckers i could then reintroduce them at the bottom of the pecking order so that tilly and bokky would stand up for themselves!? thats not worked yet might have to make it so they cant see each other :?

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 21:17 »
i do have one girl   that seemed to look after her an it shocked me as shes the worse looking one of the lot , she still kinda looks the same as she did when i picked them up , weak looking cream coloured feathers that still look totally yukky and i think that shes really old i called her tassles i hope they stick together .

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 21:20 »
At least she has a friend to stick with :)  ours still hang out in their groups, my 3 original girls all hang round together and bokky and tilly are never far apart :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 21:45 »
think i am going to get more probs when i let the babies out , although they are growing well i will wait tell i am of at Christmas then i have lots of time to watch them ,i even thought of sticking her in with them but i am not sure as i think she mite still have a bit of that cold they had maybe thats why shes getting picked on .

Jo-n-Neil

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 11:29 »
i have a bullied chook and i sat and watched them for an hour (it went quicker than you think, i secretly enjoyed it they are so comical) and separated them. i have 6 in the coop and run (the bullies) and 4 in the empty polytunnel as nowhere esle at mo. Thinking of building another coop and putting it on the other plot. They are definately laying better since separation. 11 eggs from 10 chooks yesterday  :lol:

The bullied girl looks a mess tho but her feathers are very slowly growing back.

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 16:04 »
i dont know if it may be worth seperating my run in half when i let the babies out , an have 12  per run . i doubt i will know who the bullies are until the weekend when i have more daylight hours .

this girl apartently spent  most the day sulking in a corner so i have been told  but she does seem to eating and tonite everything seemed quiet .

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 21:35 »
11 eggs from 10 chooks yesterday

:shock:  how did they manage that???????

karlooben

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 17:05 »
well juding by the looks of the run today my guys are in seruios moulting session and i got 8 eggs first time in a while they have laid that many , but i am even happier after one really really bad day one of my girls laid in the new nest box and its the ones that i made myself  yipppeeeeeeeeeeeee that really cheered me up . an so far the one that was being very offish seemed so much better today   :D  :D

xx
bully girl tactics

Started by jessicats mam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 18:42
by jessicats mam
xx
Bully

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 14:46
by PaulineM
xx
The little one is a bully

Started by spencekelliem on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 14:06
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Help with a bully!

Started by beki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 08:39
by muntjac

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 36 queries.