Raised beds, how high or does it matter?

• 7 Replies

rosied

« on: November 16, 2008, 09:02 »
I am planning to make some raised beds for my first attempt next year at vegetables!  I have some old planks and posts for the corners, but don't know whether to make the beds one or two planks high?   Or does it not really matter?  Also as the reason for making raised beds is that my soil is impossibly stoney what is the best thing to fill the beds with?  I was thinking of a mix of destoned soil and compost as far as I can and then maybe I might have to buy something to top up with but not sure what?  

All advice gratefully received.

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:08 »
Depends on how high your planks are. Personally I would have them about 8" high...that way there's always room for more compost/poo to be added. Don't forget to dig well before putting the bed in place....double digging is best (for me anyway) :)

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:23 »
Our raised beds are 150mm high but we are also digging out the paths around them so they will end up being about 200-250mm high which seems just about right for us as it takes the strain out of bending too much.

Our soil is very claggy so we are digging in a mixture of hay and guinea pig poo as my wife has about 50 of the things so there's a surplus and it's braking the clay up really well.We are also adding some well rotted compost and rotten leaf mold and they soon fill up with all this added.

tracy-fuerteventura

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:49 »
our soil here is full of stones and very sticky clay so my raised beds are 40 cm high 1.5 meters wide and 4 meters long ..it took a lot of soil to fill them but i could control what went in them ie a mixture of soil,goat manure,humus and grit for better drainage.
i have grown all sorts in them and for me it works just fine
hope that helps cheers tracy

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 13:40 »
just build them higher than the bloke has his in the next plot.

rosied

lol
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 13:44 »
:) There is no next plot as these are for what passes for a garden but is more like a construction site/dump most of the time! Not to mention the kids playground that is springing up at one end!

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 18:58 »
build them as high as you like/can. you're the one who'll be bending to tend to them so it's a case of how much do you want to bend/how much soil do you have to put in them. the deeper the growing medium then potentially the better your crop.

des

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 19:39 »
When I made mine, I excavated about 18 inches below ground, gave the bottom of the pit a good digging,  then got rid of a load of rubble, then filled to 12 inches above ground with a mixture of manure, compost and the original soil which I sifted, it took a bit of effort but I ended up with 2 feet depth of very good stuff for growing in.

xx
How high to fill my raised bed

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 21:45
by boldondig
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
New raised beds

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 17:09
by grenhouse
xx
raised beds

Started by newgrowers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 09:14
by Stree

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 36 queries.