Maran hen with air trapped under her skin

• 23 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 06:40 »
Quote from: "nnbreeder"
Most that I have seen is right at the base of the neck on the top of the bird. Why under the skin instead of the body cavity? That's a good question that I've yet to find an answer to.:

Not sure this is the answer but one possibility is that it does go into the body cavity (does in humans), you just don't see it. Not sure how you could detect this other than X-raying your chickens.

Very interesting though. Learn new things every day here :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Bodger

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 07:08 »
Quote from: "nnbreeder"
Well raising Naked Necks I see a vast more amount of exposed skin then the ordinary chicken keeper does. Air under the skin is more common then you think and a 16 or 18ga. needle works wonders on the condition. Usually it is caused by a torn or ruptured air sac and usually heals quickly on it's own.
 The cause of the rupture can vary widely from a rough landing off of a high roost, fighting or even a resp. infection can cause it.
 Most that I have seen is right at the base of the neck on the top of the bird. Why under the skin instead of the body cavity? That's a good question that I've yet to find an answer to.
 With cattle it's called bloat over here and they actually relieve pressure from the stomach of the cow where it's attached to the abdominal wall. There is a tool like a very large needle with a removable stopper. The tool is inserted and then the center is pulled out. When the center is pulled it's best to be already moving as the fermenting grass, spell that manure, comes out at very high speed.  :shock:

You are talking about a totally different thing. Bloat in cattle is caused by a build up of gasses in the stomach, commonly caused by them eating rich new grass.

http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinfo/199/bloat-in-cattle

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Maran hen with air trapped under her skin
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 20:02 »
Quote from: "cactus"
Hello there,this is my first visit to this forum.My husband and I retired to southern Spain 6 years agon and we live on a small finca in the country surrounded by fields of lettuce and melon and spuds and no near neighbours and it is all very blissful!We keep several breeds of poultry,as we did in Suffolk, and have just encountered a problem we have never seen before.A young,adult maran appeared to look like a turkey,very rounded and walking with its legs apart,just like a fat turkey!When we picked it up,we found that the whole bird was inflated,even the head and neck,due to air trapped under the skin.I used a scalpel and nicked the skin in two places and now,an hour later,the bird is starting to look normal again.Anybody got any info on this condition?Thanks in anticipation.  Cactus

Sounds like ruptured air sac to me

Foxy

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 20:34 »
Think you're right Aunty - must be a puntured air sac - causing a chicken version of "pnuemothorax", also explains why puncturing the chest cavity has released the pressure therefore causing instant relief...

If it happens again would be inclined to hold firmly onto bird- otherwise you get the first ever flying chicken! :roll:  :shock:

Bodger

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 22:15 »
Its almost certainly not. :roll:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 00:20 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Its almost certainly not. :roll:

Don't you raise your eyes at Aunty or it will the the naughty step for you Bodger boy  :!:

woodburner

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 13:13 »
Well with so many seemingly conflicting posts I decided to do a bit of research.

Yes, the bovine gas is completely different. (I was 99% sure of that even before I looked anything up.)

A clostridium infection that causes gas under the skin is gas gangrene, and wind puff may also have clostridium associated with it. LINK

I'm afraid that unless someone knows of a less serious cause of air under the skin any bird of mine showing this syptom would shortly have a broken neck, and not even be allowed to grace the dinner table. :(

Edit: I think this link nails it. :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 22:03 »
I should have used the quotes on the bloat but the question was asked by Big Jen, sorry for the confusion.
 Here is another link on the ruptured air sac.
http://fowlfacts.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1552

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 22:07 »
Thank you for that. All new information is cool.

xx
Red skin

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 07:45
by Mum2mj
xx
Do they get dry skin?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 09:03
by joyfull
xx
Skin Problems

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 22:14
by happychickens
xx
Red, sore skin

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 12:45
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.821 seconds with 37 queries.