More sick chickens... sneezing and a very mucky gammy eye...

• 15 Replies

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
Hello all... it's my first time and I'd love some advice from all my fellow chickenistas!

I have a young bearded poland who has a cold and has developed a mucky eye.  I'm treating the cold (usual stuff - in the warm, dog food, aspirin in the water, bird cold remedy etc) but I am worried about one of her eyes which has closed up, is very swollen and weepy... is it the cold or is it something in her eye.  Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, similar experience please????  All advice gratefully received.

Oh and this would be the chicken I'm looking after for a friend and not one of my own!!

:-)
Mad chicken woman

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 22:42 »
Sounds like a respiratory infection which will need antibiotics from the  vet. Could be a simple mycoplasma with complications -so usually a vet will prescribe either Tylan or Baytril for them.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 22:46 »
Hi Sarah. Welcome  :)

Doesn't sound like a happy time. Can't argue with Foxy (cos she knows a lot more than me :wink: ).

I would get her to a vets.

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 23:04 »
sorry Sarah!!

How rude of me, welcome to the henhouse! :oops:  :lol:  :lol:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 23:09 »
Welcome to the forum.

I would say you need Tylan from your vet just as Foxy has said.

Hope she recovers very soon.

3frenchhens

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:13 »
Hello everybody, I have just joined this site so hope nobody minds me starting off by putting my oar in.  Just thought my experience might help.
I only started chicken keeping in August but have become completely addicted.  I woke up one weekend to find two of my babies very ill indeed.  One not moving, eating or drinking and the other with foam coming from her eyes.  It was unfortunate timing as I could not find a vet that knew anything about chickens (in hindsight I should have checked this out before I got them).  I immediately brought them into the house and all I could think to do for them was to give them garlic as I know this is a natural antibiotic.  As they were not eating or drinking on their own I didn't want them to dehydrate so I chopped up pieces of cucumber and soaked them in water with garlic granules.  I kept feeding this to them for the whole weekend and kept them indoors in the warm.  It was amazing how much they improved in just the couple of days and they were really poorly,  garlic truly is a good remedy.  I still took them to a vet on the Monday morning and put my whole flock on Baytril and have now bought some Citricidal in case it happens again.  Just thought I would share this so that it might help someone else.

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 13:52 »
:D Thank you all for your advice and warm welcome!  I'm off to the vets tonight with the hen under my arm (sneezing away)!  Think she might have lost an eye though...  :cry:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 14:02 »
Sarah, if it’s any consolation our French Wheaton maran had exactly the same symptoms as you are describing in your hen and she also had a gammy eye.
Although I did my best to save her sight in that eye I couldn’t but she gets on absolutely fine with her disability.

Let us know how you get on at the vets…………….good luck.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 18:31 »
mine were all like this about a week ago but after the advice from fellow peeps on here i took mine to the vets an the baytril has done the job  :D  i do stil get sneezes but its nothing like it was .

so a very BIG THANKYYOUUUUUUUUUU to everyone for their advice .
i am liking the sound of the garlic the more i read about it i really need to try an get some this weekend .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 20:27 »
I thought one of mine had Mycoplasm at the beginning of the week,  :? but turns out it is a mild respiratory problem (Phew), :)  vet has still prescribed Baytril as a precaution - 10 doses for affected hen, as all others seem to be fine.  I have been feeding them mashed potatoes with fresh garlic grated into it and a dash of natural bio yoghurt and this seems to have really cleared up the sneezes and that was before the antibiotics were given.

A big thumbs up for garlic here.....hen shed does "pen and ink" in the morning though!!! :lol:  :lol:

C XX
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 10:50 »
Hi All

Trip to the vet confirmed a nasty case of infectious bronchitis!  Antibiotics twice a day for all 13 youngsters.  The Poland is looking much better as she was just about dead but she has a wee way to go before she's back to full health.  Thanks to everyone for all the advice it's much appreciated.

Here's to a sunny weekend

:D

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 17:32 »
i'm with you on that one sarah

heres to a sunny weekend and loads of it , my neighbours are emigating to portugal sunday so were helping him tomorw load up an i dont want to be doing that in the rain nor giving my girls a good old clean out  :lol:

hope your girlys are better very soon .

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 13:19 »
:( Hello All

I'm afraid the Poland went to the great hen house in the sky on Sunday despite all our efforts.

Thanks for all your help and advice you are brilliant.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 13:40 »
Really soory to hear that after all you tried :cry:

Hope the rest are fine.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Oliveview

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 13:57 »
So sorry about your hen :cry:   We had a poorly hen a month ago, she had the same symptoms as you described, but thank goodness she recovered.  Her eye looks normal now, we had thought she was blind in it as the  eyeball had shrunk right back into her head, we actually did wonder if another hen had pecked it out :shock:
Pamela

xx
Sneezing chickens

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 18:03
by Evansent
xx
Sneezing chickens

Started by Gemjt on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 10:46
by Aidy
xx
Chickens sneezing or so I think

Started by Rupert Bear on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 19:29
by Rupert Bear
question
Help with sneezing chickens

Started by tilley on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 02:15
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 36 queries.