Mabeline has gammy leg...update

• 24 Replies

Jellyhead

« on: November 11, 2008, 13:52 »
Help :shock: my lovely Mabeline has an infected leg. I thought she was a bit quiet on Saturday morning but I picked her up and gave her a quick look over  :oops:  and saw nothing :oops:  :oops: and she flapped like a frantic flappy thing and scuttled off when I put her down.
I noticed nothing yesterday but today when I went out she was sitting quietly on the coop floor. So I picked her up and oh s***, bum, poo noticed this :oops:  :shock:

even worse

I got on the phone to the vet who luckily was there as its a bank holiday today, arranged to take her over but when I got there he had had to go to an emergency but left me 4 anti-inflammatory antibiotic injections for her. She has had the 1st one and I have washed it and smothered it in tea tree cream. She is eating and drinking ok but when she had a poo in the kitchen it looked like watery spinach.............see :oops:

Is this an infected wound do you think or something else??? and would you take her to the vet or just carry on with the injections??
Ta muchly peeps
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Vember

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 14:05 »
Is it hot to touch Jelly?
My only experience with infection is human :(  
Is it hard to touch or squishy?
Also with infection I would have expected to see the foot redder below the scab  :?
Unless it's an abscess that has already burst???

Not much help am I  :roll:
I'd be tempted to try the vet again :)

Sarah :D

Jellyhead

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 14:22 »
No it didn't feel hot Sarah :? and it didnt seem to hurt her either when I washed it :?  :?  Cant do anything with the vet today cos of the holiday so I shall see how she and the leg is doing tomorrow and reassess then. Looks orrid tho doesnt it?? Poor Mabeline and naughty mummy for not noticing before :( The downside of a chook with extremely fluffy legs and feet tho :roll:

Vember

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 14:29 »
If it's not hot my gut say's no infection, but I might be wrong :?

Could it be scaley leg mite?? Or are the scales raised because of the lump ???

Someone will know I'm sure :D

Sarah :)

Bodger

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 14:37 »
Scaley leg is nothing at all like this. :roll:
You wont get any appreciabble swelling below the leg because it doesn't have any soft tissue there and there isn't a particular good blood supply either.
I'd bathe it with hot water and use topical antiseptic in the form of the purple spray until you can get hold of some antibiotics.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 14:38 »
Having never seen it Bodger I wouldn't know :D

Sarah :)

Jellyhead

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 14:42 »
I have already given her an injection of anti inflammatory/antibiotics Bodger and got the same for next 3 days. Do you think its an infected cut ??

Bodger

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 14:45 »
From the photo, I'd say it was infected. The anti inflamatorys wont hurt but wont tackle any infection, that yellow stuff on the leg looks like weeping puss to me. Its alright for me to say this from a distance, but I'd try and get as much of the gunge out of it and start from there.

Oliveview

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 16:42 »
Do you have any teatree plants?  I had a bad burn on my hand which would not heal, the neighbour gave  me a piece of tea tree plant to dab on.  The wound was better within an hour :D
Pamela

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NOT TEETREE  my neighbour gave me ALOE VERA   you can understand how I muddled the names, they are very similar :oops:  :oops:
Pamela

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 17:09 »
Euuuuwww! Thats not nice, looks a bit strange doesn't it? Agree with Bodge prob needs a good clean and antibiotics -strange it doesn't feel hot though -is she walking OK? Eating OK?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 18:33 »
Poor mabeline :(  If I saw that on a human leg I would say it looked like an ulcer (one of my nans legs looked like that after just a little knock) would agree with keeping it clean and some kind of ointment to keep out more infection.
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agapanthus

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 18:56 »
I was thinking the same Chickenlady :( Looks awful...but anti-inflammatories and anti-biotics should help. Poor old girl :(

NormandyMary

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 19:26 »
Could she have been bitten by something that's now infected? Poor little scrap. I really hope she's better soon.
Good luck.

Jellyhead

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 20:20 »
:oops:  :oops: felt her leg tonight, tis a bit warm :( but she is still bright. Will carry on with injections for next 3 days. I really cant make out what caused it. No open wound clearly visible so although washed an tea tree'd cant find where to start squeezin puss etc :?

Bodger

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 10:41 »
If the bird doesn't roost on a perch at night and kips on the floor, this condition may have started off as hock burn. Hock burn can be caused by the ammonia in the birds droppings and as I've said, it looks as if a more serious infection has got in afterwards.

xx
Day old chicky with gammy leg

Started by gsc on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 17:42
by Nails
xx
More sick chickens... sneezing and a very mucky gammy eye...

Started by Sarah Mitchell on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 17:06
by karlooben
smiley
Zsa Zsa Update

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 23:14
by ANHBUC
xx
leg update

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 16:34
by gibbo

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 36 queries.