Asparagus

• 17 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Asparagus
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:19 »
I have just been sent 30 1 year old crowns as a replacement for the ones that just died this year.... Should I plant them this week at the plot or plant them in pots in the greenhouse then transplant them in March/April?

Any thoughts would be great thanks.

Cheers
SG

Salmo

Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:33 »
Why not ask the supplier for advice?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Asparagus
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40 »
Asparagus dont like frosts or sitting in water as it can kill the new spears so pot up in the gh/coldframe then plant out in April

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

Asparagus
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 14:30 »
But if your ground isn't that soggy you can put them in now. They really don't mind the cold or frost but will appear to die back (as they should) when it gets really cold. Ground should be well prepped for them first as they'll be there 20+ years. If you can't prep the ground, then best to leave them in largish pots.

muntjac

Asparagus
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 22:34 »
we have just got a load as well and having some experiance with sparrowgrass i have put them in 10 inch pots reeady to plant out in the spring  :wink:
still alive /............

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Asparagus
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 12:22 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
we have just got a load as well and having some experiance with sparrowgrass i have put them in 10 inch pots reeady to plant out in the spring  :wink:

This sounds like a plan to me as well.. As I just don't have the time to prep the ground just now and not for the next week or 2 either.

So just put 1 crown to 1 pot in compost? it will be slightly old compost as I really don't want to shell out on loads more to keep these babies going till spring :)

Trillium

Asparagus
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 17:13 »
That's right, Sadgit....1 crown per pot in whatever you've got. It's only temporary so the roots won't mind. And do water them a bit as well but not too much. When you're ready to plant them out, dig a wide hole, mound a large handful of sand in the centre and set the crown head on the mound. Spread roots out like an octopus, then cover and gently firm in the soil. The sand will keep the crown itself well drained and free of rot.

beansticks

Asparagus
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 17:30 »
Wow i am worried now,i also had replacements last Friday,i had already prepared trenches with a mounded middle,but the soil was wet and cold,however i have planted them,hope they will be okay.As stated they were replacements from T&M,the last lot planted in April never showed at all.

Trillium

Asparagus
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 17:52 »
I'm sure you asparagus will come through in spring, Beansticks. If the middle was mounded, then the most suspectible part, the crown, will be better drained and survive. The actual 'roots' will come and go in the plant's lifetime.

RGManby

Asparagus
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 10:49 »
I am wanting to grow asparagus from seed in pots this spring for planting next spring, I am wondering if I should make a permanent bed in the poly tunnel for them, do you think I will regret this in years to come as it will be 3-4 years before a harvest and 10-20 years lifespan, I am in a bit of a situation, not being able to decide. The tunnel is 16'x36' but will be our first year growing in it. Any ideas welcomed   :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Asparagus
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 10:58 »
Depends on your patience!

I sowed 40 seed, given to me by a fellow plot holder, 7-8 years ago now. I've now got a bed of crowns for nothing and get stacked out with asparagus every spring.

I know that in our neck of the woods you would not need to take up valuable polytunnel space with them, but can't speak for where you are!

Yes - one seed failed to germinate!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kagganz

Asparagus
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 11:16 »
Now!  Asparagus is the one and only veg that I haven't bought......yet .....whispers can they be grown in pots????

:)

RGManby

Asparagus
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 11:26 »
Quote from: "Kagganz"
Now!  Asparagus is the one and only veg that I haven't bought......yet .....whispers can they be grown in pots????

:)

They can be grown in pots from seed for planting out the following year, I am not sure about being matured for cropping in pots, but then again it depends on how big the pot is I suppose  :shock: !

Thanks DD for the reply, how much room does 40 crowns take up on your patch (sorry 39  :lol: ) That may help me decide if I should take up the space in the tunnel or not.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Asparagus
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 11:48 »
The crowns take up a bed about 12' x 6', (a grid of 13 x 3 crowns, 1' apart in rows 3' apart).

Don't forget though that the ferns will take up a fair bit of space when they grow.

mrs bouquet

Asparagus
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 11:54 »
Did you see Flog it yesterday, he went to an asparagus farm, they had brilliant trollys to sit on and crop.  Not really relevant I know, but it was quite interesting.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus Bed

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 23:19
by lucyp

Page created in 0.698 seconds with 36 queries.