roofs for run

• 10 Replies

karlooben

roofs for run
« on: November 10, 2008, 17:23 »
i know i have spoken of roofing quite a bit on here ,but i was wandering if pvc  corrugated sheets { clear ] could stay up permantly or would it be to much for the summer months with the heat.
the run is 7 foot tall so there would always be plenty of breeze going though but at the mo the poor girls are nearly swimming bles them and all the mud is doing me in  :lol:  let alone them, it will take me quite a while to do this roof but in the future i know it will be worth it .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Bodger

roofs for run
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 17:30 »
They'd be fine. If you're worried, you could use tin roofing with PVC inserts. They certainly fir well together, it would certainly be cheaper and possibly stronger.

karlooben

roofs for run
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 17:36 »
please call me stupid  :lol:  how do u mean tin roofing with pvc inserts , also were would u get tin roofing from i havent seen that for ages and ages .

Kate and her Ducks

roofs for run
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 17:44 »
I'm going to put the clear plastic PVC stuff on my roof the moment it stops wellying it down long enough in daylight hours. Hoping it will sort out my problems

Well obviously not all my problems, that would be expecting a bit much of corrugated roofing.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

roofs for run
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 17:58 »
I think bodger means alternating one or two tin sheets with a plastic one, then another tin or two, etc.

I've done ours with plastic and with open sides it makes no difference other than keeping dry. However, with the rain last night and today, the run is just as muddy as ever. I think teh rain was going sideways last night, bypassing the roof altogether  :shock:

But it does improve things most of the time. I screwed the plastic sheets to batten framework before fixing the whole asembly onto teh run. Makes it a lot more rigid and easier to assemble on the ground.

Rob 8)

karlooben

roofs for run
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 18:06 »
i was wandering if thats what he did mean thanks for  that rob .

i am looking at putting extra posts along inside the run to attach the pvc sheets to so then it wont put any pressure on the main fencing and i do only want to do the main part of the run which is the largest part . i dont think we could cope with much more rain  and omggggg the wind has been unbearable am so glad much of it hit during the night though .

Foxy

roofs for run
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 18:16 »
Im going to get some corrugated onduline and insert corrugated  transparent pvc (all from B&Q) Then screw it to a frame with a slightly sloping roof so rain runs off but  the chooks gets some light underneath. :D
Well thats the idea anyway....

karlooben

roofs for run
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 18:27 »
looks like my parents will be buying mine ,lol once i speak of something they get ideas an say they will get this or that so i'll leave them to it . this week i have to pay a vets bill so it takes most my wages so mum said she'll buy me 3 sheets of pvc sheetting :lol:  :lol: i do pay them back though well in time i do.

Bodger

roofs for run
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 19:49 »
If you have a prevailing wind,  interwoven plastic sheeting fitted on the side of the run will stop a lot of the driven rain from entering the run. Its just a matter of fixing it with a staple gun.

raeburg

roofs for run
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 20:49 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Im going to get some corrugated onduline and insert corrugated  transparent pvc (all from B&Q) Then screw it to a frame with a slightly sloping roof so rain runs off but  the chooks gets some light underneath. :D
Well thats the idea anyway....

I found it was cheaper at Wickes.  Neither will let you order on line.  Worth getting some firrings cut so that the roof slopes and drains away rather than collecting water on top.

Foxy

roofs for run
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 21:31 »
Just tried to explain my idea to  my darling OH.... he just said "do you wonder why I get confused sometimes?"

:oops:  :oops:

xx
hen house roofs

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:24
by karlooben

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 36 queries.