garlic

• 14 Replies

matty42

garlic
« on: November 08, 2008, 14:28 »
hi all
 just a quickie if i have grown my own garlic this year , can i use some to replant for next year ? :lol:

compostqueen

garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 14:35 »
yes, but purists do advise against it and buying certified virus free stock instead

:D

SG6

garlic
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 07:54 »
If you do keep one that you have grown for next year you may want to select the one that has the largest cloves.

The idea being that if you select the biggest then that characteristic could be carried on.

Not heard of any virus etc that builds up with garlic or in the ground so cannot think of a reason not to use a blub from this year as the start for next year.

crowndale

garlic
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:15 »
hope so coz i've done this this year as I forgot to order new stock!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

corndolly

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 14:09 »
me too !! chose the biggst ones . it worked for me last year .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

matty42

garlic
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 19:00 »
hi all thanks for replys , i have chosen 2 of my biggest and best garlic to replant they are beuts , have put 2 rows down the lottie and 2 rows in the veg patch at home , lets see next year what happens ??

Oliveview

garlic
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 16:57 »
I planted up some garlic this afternoon, I had quite a few bulbs in the kitchen that had begun to shoot, so fingers crossed :D
Pamela

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 17:18 »
As I understand it you can plant Garlic in Autumn or in Spring, but if I miss the boat now, do I have to wait until the Spring, or can I plant it in December, say?

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 17:59 »
It needs cold weather to produce a bulb so plant in december, the only caveat to this is soil conditions, if it is heab=vy soil that will lie wet then be careful cos they may well rot.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 18:18 »
thanks.

I planted some last year in the early spring and they went the way of the dodo pretty quickly, but I'll be able to put them in earlier, and hopefully dryer this time around.

Salmo

garlic
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 20:32 »
Garlic are like shallots which are traditionally planted on the shortest day, 21st December. Often the soil is too wet then and they will just sit there doing little. They are better left until conditions improve in the Spring. Aim at mid February onwards.

They do need a cold period and to ensure that this happens put them in a paper bag in the vegetable section of the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Some people pot them up in compost in early February to get them started.

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 08:32 »
I planted mine in the middle of October this year and it's about 4" tall now. Last year I planted it in January and it was OK but small cloves. I'll plant some in January again and see which is the best of the two crops. I just get mine from a garden stall in Carlisle market. The people who own it are very helpfull, the cloves only cost 60p each wich I thought was very reasonable.

penance

garlic
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 11:40 »
Quote from: "Salmo"
Garlic are like shallots which are traditionally planted on the shortest day, 21st December. Often the soil is too wet then and they will just sit there doing little. They are better left until conditions improve in the Spring. Aim at mid February onwards.

They do need a cold period and to ensure that this happens put them in a paper bag in the vegetable section of the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Some people pot them up in compost in early February to get them started.

I'd say a late october or early november planting is much better, never had much luck with spring planting garlic.

If your worried about drainage just dib a wider and deeper hole, drop some grit or course sand in the bottom and plant the bulb on top, back filling with compost.

SG6

garlic
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 21:47 »
Had fair success with a spring planting. Used a supermarket garlic, they came up OK, possibly a bit smaller then the parent but very crisp and a redder skin, also I think stronger. Placed the garlic in the fridge for a few weeks so it got cold, then planted it. :?

As said successful and still eating the crop at present. Cost the exorbitant sum of 19p if I recall. :D

Faz

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 22:08 »
Mines been in the ground for a while and is already sprouting. It's the first time I've grown it though and I am looking forwards to harvesting it net year and eating some of it.

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic

Started by HevO22 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 10:29
by HevO22

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 36 queries.