i have sick girls

• 14 Replies

karlooben

i have sick girls
« on: November 06, 2008, 17:20 »
one of my tamer girls has been really quiet for the past few days an shes making gurgling noises an is down and has always been standing still when i see her also she seems puffed rite up the feathers that is , the other one has a very bad looking eye as if shes almost blind an there seems to be either puss or sleep in tthe  corner but she seems bright in herself .

my friend told me to seprate them but i cant do that tell sometime tomorw { rabbit hutch will be handy again for a nite }

is there anything esle i can do , i spoke to my friend after they all went to bed so  now i am paranoid that the others will become ill :cry:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Kate and her Ducks

i have sick girls
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 18:05 »
So sorry your girls are poorly. Hope they pick up soon. Sure one of the clever chickeny people will be along in no time.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

karlooben

i have sick girls
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 18:10 »
thanks , i am reading though older posts and have some rough ideas on whats wrong .

Vember

i have sick girls
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 18:13 »
Hi Karlooben

Is she sneezing at all?
Any strange smell round her nostril area?

Discharge round the eye area can be a sign of Mycoplasma :(

If it is then it will need antibiotics :( And separation would be a wise move

Sarah :)

karlooben

i have sick girls
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 18:21 »
i think the one with a dodgy eye is sneezing but then i think msot of them are , at the mo is differcult for me as i only se them for a few mins in the morning about 5 mins at 10 am to check eggs and then thats  it until 4pm roughly when i have done the dogs an horses.i wont get a full day with them tell saturday.
i also did not notice any strange smells
i can do without a vets bill got enough at the mo with the horses . :lol: can u cheat and buy stuff of the net for them

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
i have sick girls
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 18:24 »
Antibiotics from the vet would be my advice  :!:

Foxy

i have sick girls
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 18:28 »
perhaps if you phoned the vet describng the symptoms and ask for "Baytril" this is a good broad spectrum for most respiratory infections. It does sound like she needs antibiotics.

karlooben

i have sick girls
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 18:38 »
i spoke to the vets an they would like to see one of the girls only prob is i dont have £38 for the check up { my vets charge a fortune } .

omgggg will have to speak to my mum but the nurse says it sounds like they have colds but a vet will tell me more .

Foxy

i have sick girls
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 18:45 »
Do you have any apple cider vinegar? (cheap from horsey places) pop this into the drinking water, this may help to break down the mucus.
Stop any treats, particulary bread. Make sure their house is nice and dry and a cleanout with Jeyes will kill any lurking bugs. A crushed cloce of garlic might be useful too. :D

karlooben

i have sick girls
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 18:55 »
apple cider vinegar i can get saturday no probs there , garlic well mums green house is handy for that .lol

i have spoken to friends of mine that have kept poulty for years an they are going to make some calls for me in the morning an see what they can get to save me  a trip to the vets although it does look like i mite be taking 2 of them tomorw afternoon .i am so worrieddddddddddd about them all now but if they need anttiboitics then how am i going to give it to  20 birds  :?

Kate and her Ducks

i have sick girls
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 19:01 »
Think if you are giving it too all of them might be better in the food or water! I had enough bother dosing just a couple!

karlooben

i have sick girls
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 19:09 »
now that i  can imagine my life giving anything to my jack russell is hell enough let alone doing 20 chickens  :lol:  :lol:  i only have to say tablet to my dog and hes goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee like the wind , big prob with that the pup has decided to follow suit .

i shall keep all of you posted  but why could this not happen in summer time when we have day light hours  :roll:  :roll:

Oliveview

i have sick girls
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 20:24 »
The poorly hen sounds like my new girl (Alana) she had a cold, was wheezing and had a bad eye.  She has been away from the other hens now for almost 3 weeks.  She has had antibiotics and her chest and runny nose cleared up and she is back to eating well.  Her eye is still not right.  It has got better the past two days, I have been using the eye drops the optician gave me, just to keep eyes moist and soothe them.   I have been giving her cat food mixed with cereal to try to get her to put on weight.  She is now outside during the daytime, as long as it is dry, and inside in a big plastic box at night- the box has holes all around it, so she has plenty of air.  I´m still keeping her away from the other hens, I tried to re-introduce her, but another hen pecked at her bad eye.   She is in a fenced off bit of the garden during the daytime.  She goes right up to the fence to try to get to the other hens :(  She is doing well now.  She still has some  ´yellow stuff´ in her eye, that looks like the fat you get on a oven ready chicken! I´ve tried to clean her eye, but no chance!! At least she is opening her eye now and I can see the actual eye and not just the swollen skin.   I did think she was blind in that eye, but I´m not so sure now :)
Pamela

karlooben

i have sick girls
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 20:36 »
it really does sound the same i am hoping to get some stuff tomorw and over the weekend . i do hope she wasnt pecked tonite at all if i get the chance over the weekend or as soon as i can get enough daylight i will take pics .

hopfully that could help someone out in the future in what to look for .

Foxy

i have sick girls
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 20:37 »
aww oliveview glad Alana is improving! :D

xx
my girls that were sick

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 19:38
by Aunt Sally
xx
hen still sick

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 18:29
by henamoured
xx
sick hen

Started by dreghorns on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 14:37
by dreghorns
xx
Help! Sick hen!!

Started by belladonna on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2007, 21:27
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 36 queries.