Hens

• 16 Replies

Arielf

Hens
« on: November 06, 2008, 15:21 »
So yay! I just found out that the place we will be living in has a half acre garden, and the owners are ok with us taking some of the field area as well..so after reading posts and looking at chicken pictures, I so want some.

So.my question..for a beginer, is it better to get point of lay birds, or can I try with some ex battery hens?

Thanks!

Erin
The only way to have a friend is to be one. -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bodger

Hens
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 15:27 »
No contest ! POL everytime. :thumright:

Vickie & Richard

Hens
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 16:15 »
Go for it, POL are great, they may take a few weeks to start laying (one of mine was laying within 1 week), but that gives you the chance to get to know them all.  I love my girls!! and i have 2-3 fresh eggs a day from 3 out off 4 hens (one isn't laying yet as she's decided to have a moult first!)

Arielf

Hens
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 16:24 »
Quote from: "Vickie & Richard"
Go for it, POL are great, they may take a few weeks to start laying (one of mine was laying within 1 week), but that gives you the chance to get to know them all.  I love my girls!! and i have 2-3 fresh eggs a day from 3 out off 4 hens (one isn't laying yet as she's decided to have a moult first!)

Excellent! Thanks for the advise..now I just need to decide on what kind to get.... ^^

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Hens
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 16:33 »
Yeah get POL, excellent, I have 3 girls 2 Amberlinks and 1 Warren, they are lovely, very entertaining too!!  Oh I'm excited now  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Hens
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 16:47 »
Hi Erin
POL get my vote too every time  :D

Whatever you do read the posts in the Poultry info section 1st on buying and then looking after hens. Be careful what you buy, don't buy the skinny little thing with a sneeze that you feel sorry for  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Arielf

Hens
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 16:53 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Hi Erin

Whatever you do read the posts in the Poultry info section 1st on buying and then looking after hens. Be careful what you buy, don't buy the skinny little thing with a sneeze that you feel sorry for  :)

That is actually the first thing I read when I thought about getting them...I need to do some research on breeds now..as I'd like some layers and some meat ones...

woodburner

Hens
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 18:42 »
Quote from: "Arielf"
Hi Erin

That is actually the first thing I read when I thought about getting them...I need to do some research on breeds now..as I'd like some layers and some meat ones...

POL for eggs, but meat birds you would buy as chicks, or maybe hatching eggs.  
Would you be able to kill a healthy bird that you had raised from a chick though?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Foxy

Hens
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 18:52 »
Well personally I love having a couple of exbats around -usually tame and cheap and usually 50p to a £1.00.
They are healthy things  (OK maybe a little shabby looking initially) just need a little tlc in the early days until they get their strength back.
From what I have been reading these days -it isn't that easy to source a "so called" healthy POL hen!!!
So why not give a home to a couple of exbats???? Cmon you guys have a heart! :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Hens
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 20:14 »
Quote from: "Arielf"

That is actually the first thing I read when I thought about getting them

8)  that's great  :D

Spadefighter

Hens
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 20:14 »
I agree Foxy! To watch an ex-bat recover from being a bald, stumbling scrap of feathers to become an active, happy, laying hen is truly rewarding.

Arielf

Hens
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 20:16 »
Quote from: "woodburner"

POL for eggs, but meat birds you would buy as chicks, or maybe hatching eggs.  
Would you be able to kill a healthy bird that you had raised from a chick though?

Yes, actually. Our plans include a few sheep (for fiber and food..I'm a spinner/knitter) and a coo or two (I fell in love with highland coos. Must have fuzzy coo.)

I'm more comfertable with eating something that I have raised and know that it has had a good life, then with eating something that has had a miserable existance in a battery farm...

Oliveview

Hens
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 20:27 »
Hi Erin

Be careful what you buy, don't buy the skinny little thing with a sneeze that you feel sorry for  :)

It´s ok richyrich, the man saved the poorly/old hens for me, he saw me coming :x
Pamela

Foxy

Hens
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 20:40 »
Quote from: "oliveview"
Hi Erin

Be careful what you buy, don't buy the skinny little thing with a sneeze that you feel sorry for  :)

It´s ok richyrich, the man saved the poorly/old hens for me, he saw me coming :x
Pamela

You're not wrong! I've heard of soooo many stories of poorly birds bought recently.....  :?

well up the ex-bats I say! :lol:  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Hens
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 20:41 »
Quote from: "oliveview"
Hi Erin

Pamela

Oop's hope you took it back, I would have done.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 36 queries.