Cooped up hens

• 19 Replies

Phil W

Cooped up hens
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 22:19 »
Hi. My first reply so I hope I'm doing it right. Its a question for compostqueen actually. Hi. I've just read what you said about the chipped bark. I saw some bags, I think of the same stuff up at our local T.P yard last week while I was scrounging for pallets. I wondered if you could tell me what sort of area one of these bags will cover and what depth? I hope when I get my chicken house built and run done to be able to leave my girls out all day. The trouble is I'm having to build it all on the wettest end of my allotment so now I'm thinking this could be a good idea if we get too much more wet weather. I guess after use this stuff could be chucked on my veggie area?
Phil.

compostqueen

Cooped up hens
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 22:26 »
it keeps their feet out of the mud but they do churn it up and it'll be reduced to powder before long.  One bag has covered most of the area you see there which is 18 ' long I think by about 12' wide, there are just the corners I've not bothered with.  It's very deep too, deeper than necessary really but I wanted to use up the whole bag as it was in the way.  

This was a huge back,one of those builders rubble sackfuls  :D

Phil W

Cooped up hens
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 23:03 »
Thanks for that. I'm guessing that my run will be bigger than that but then if they have a fairly clean area near the house it wont hurt them to go into the mud so long as it doesn't get too bad. Also I suppose if it builds up the level of the ground a bit it might stop it getting so wet in the future. Am I right in thinking garden lime sprinkled on occassionally will help de-toxify the chips if they spend alot of time on it?

compostqueen

Cooped up hens
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 15:06 »
they do say so yes, but I've not done it yet as I only got mine in april.  

If you put the bark chippings in the area most used then that will be better than nothing

:D

violet

• Experienced Member
Cooped up hens
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 09:37 »
I think my hens like rain better than sunshine... sll the lovely worms!"!!!! Two of my young hens were squabbling over a huge worm the other afternoon... playing tug of war ...suddenly they both let go, the worm flew through the air and landed at the feet of a surprised but very happy duck.. who of course slurrped it down before the hens could get to it!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 36 queries.