Woody Swede

• 5 Replies

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
Woody Swede
« on: November 05, 2008, 13:51 »
I have just harvested my first swede that I have ever grown and they are very poor.  They are so woody that they are inedible.  Am most dissapointed at they are the only flippin things which grew this year!!
Does anyone have any advice for me to stop this happening next year.  I think I may have grown them too close together - would this cause woodyness (is that a word?!).
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Woody Swede
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 14:34 »
Hessayon says that failure to water in dry weather can cause woodiness.  Thought we had a pretty wet summer :? Perhaps they were planted too closely; recommended distance=9in apart.
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
Woody Swede
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 15:48 »
Quote from: "happy chick"
Hessayon says that failure to water in dry weather can cause woodiness.  Thought we had a pretty wet summer :? Perhaps they were planted too closely; recommended distance=9in apart.

Must admit, did not water them much in summer, but as you say, it was so wet didn't think needed to!!

Old Whiskers

Woody Swede
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 00:22 »
Woodiness in swedes is usually caused by a deficiency of borax in the soil.  I mix a few spoons of borax into half a bucket of hydrated lime and rake it in to the swede bed prior to sowing.

muntjac

Woody Swede
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:03 »
Quote from: "Old Whiskers"
Woodiness in swedes is usually caused by a deficiency of borax in the soil.  I mix a few spoons of borax into half a bucket of hydrated lime and rake it in to the swede bed prior to sowing.

and make sure they have had plenty of feed put in the soil before planting a good handfull of growmore will help and another feed of it in october :wink:
still alive /............

Salmo

Woody Swede
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:51 »
Quote from: "Old Whiskers"

Be very careful what you are doing. Too much boron is also bad.

Only very light sandy soils are usually short of boron. If soils are naturally very alkaline or have been overlimed the boron can be locked up in the soil and unavailable to the plants.

xx
Woody leek

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 22:49
by Vagabond
xx
Woody parsnips

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 19:04
by pa snips
xx
woody parsnips

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 21:19
by 3759allen
xx
When do carrots go woody ?

Started by beesrus on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 09:15
by Growster...

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 30 queries.