help! feeling defeated by brambles....

• 28 Replies

rhian13

« on: November 03, 2008, 17:48 »
Hello, new on here and have just got an allotment. I have gardened organically for years, and after years of waiting I finally have an allotment - the only snag being it is full of man-eating brambles (though it did look more appealing than the couch grass plots)

I expect many people have asked advice regarding plot clearing - I know the only way to do it organically is by digging out every root, and mulching to prevent re-growth - but today it took two of us over half an hour to get one large root out.......and the plot is covered with hundreds

I don't have much money, so buying some plastic sheeting for £30 is too much, let alone any petrol driven power tools. (We only have our hand tools). It looks like we would need some serious machinery to clear our plot

I would feel really bad going against my principles and using a herbicide, but at the moment I can't see an alternative as we have barely dug over an area for one bed at the moment.

I was thinking if I used herbicide once to clear the plot, then build some raised beds - I could bring the plot into production and continue 'organically' from there :?

if those brambles get a year bigger I won't be able to see the plot...

Thanks in advance - any advice is greatly appreciated

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 18:00 »
Brambles are pretty nasty to get rid of. I would be tempted to use a herbicide on them and then go organic as well. However, first I think I would use a short bladed scythe to have a go at them, remove the tops, then try and dig the roots out. THis is what I did in my garden and it worked, although I did use some glyphosate after that for all the other weeds.

SalJ1980

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 18:18 »
Hi Rhian, why not Rent a Goat?!?!  :lol:

(Thanks to new member Luigi for originally posting the link!  :D )
Sal

Organic...so far!

Pete C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 18:41 »
Hi Rhian :)
I too have a bramble plot to clear. I spent 3 hours Sunday clearing a 10ft x 3ft strip. And that was only top growth and stumps. Imagine a plot size plate of spaghetti  a few inches below the surface..........that is what I don't know how best to clear. Not being worried (atm) about growing organically, I've sprayed an area with Roundup and will see how it looks week by week.
Good luck mate :)
Pete C

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 18:44 »
I sympathise, brambles can be a nightmare.

In the absence of a goat ...

The most common herbicide used by allotment growers will be glyphosate.  However, at this time of year it's unlikely to have much impact because it requires the plant to be growing.  To be honest, I'd have my doubts about significant impact even in the growing season as brambles are quite a woody plant.

That leaves you with other types of herbicide, which I think tend to be more persistent in the soil (others may correct me here tho').

What I'd suggest in the meantime is that you first of all clear all the top growth, down to about a foot or two high (this leaves you some leverage for removing the roots).  This will give you some decent light, and (more to the point) a satisfying bonfire!

After that, I'm afraid there's no real substitute for slowly clearing by hand.  The roots are actually relatively easy to spot so you shouldn't have to worry about careful sieving of the soil.  Even if you do get any subsequent re-growth, it'll be very weak and you can just pull it out.

I wouldn't bother worrying about black plastic unless you've cut the brambles right down to ground level, it'll only puncture and there won't be significant growth over the winter anyway.

I don't suppose your council / owner of the site will give you any help clearing it?

Or if there's an allotment association, some of the members may be prepared to give you a hand or lend you tools if they see you're serious about tackling this awful plot.

Best of luck and you know where we are when you've had a bad day!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rhian13

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 18:45 »
hello  :lol:
thanks - maybe I should buy a goat!!!! :lol:
I like goat's cheese!!!
thanks for your advice sal, pink tequila & pete
my neighbouring plotholders said they had to resort to roundup - after finding a empty bottle of gear oil in the soil, maybe I shouldn't be so worried about a spray. I had a good go and removed the tops on about an 1/8th of my plot, but I think I need 10 men to dig out the roots  :oops:

It's clay soil, and the brambles are well and truly stuck in :?

at home I built raised beds, mulched the base with cardboard and backfilled with compost & manure and have had good crops for 2 years, so I wanted to do the same on a 1/4 of my plot to get started, but the brambles have got the better of me today

rhian13

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 18:57 »
thanks yorkie, I have a satisfying bonfire building up :wink:

I don't know if the council will help - I'll ask them tomorrow - the site has been neglected, although there are a few dedicated plotholders, many plots are vacant. Someone said the local farmer might go in with his tractor, but there's some bindweed as well and I wouldn't want more......

My partner found 'growing success deep root and stump killer', but I think its glyphosate based - as you say, it won't be very effective this time of year. I've never used any sprays before, my garden was negelcted and full of weeds & rubble, but I managed - the allotment is a much bigger scale

I may have to plant all my onions and garlic at home :)

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 19:00 »
The only extra piece of advice I would give you is to sharpen the end of your spade as this will help to cut through the smaller roots.  If you then dug about 6/12 inches from the main root then you should be able to get them out a bit easier.  Good luck.

rhian13

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 19:13 »
that's a good idea mikem
all the tools need re-sharpening after today so I'll sharpen the spade too
thanks

Dominic

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 19:23 »
I find they're a lot less hassle than most think.
If you behead them, they will grow back, keep beheading them, eventually they will die.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

penance

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 19:33 »
Hi rhian13,

I see your in Bristol, so am I.

I have some tools that may be helpful, chainsaw and a petrol strimmer. If you think it may be of some help drop me a PM and we'll see what we can sort out.

Angelah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 19:40 »
I know people have differing opinions of freecycle, but it can be a good source of tools. I had a similar problem with brambles on my lottie and got a scythe through freecycle - unfortunately, I couldn't get on with it, so I did resort to roundup and then black plastic, but I have got other goodies from there too, including a good source of manure and another of leaf mulch!!

Again, I know carpet is loved by some and loathed by others, but I've found it useful to keep one step ahead of the worst weeds, this can often be found on freecycle or from local carpet fitters. Just avoid the rubber backed or mainly man made ones.

greenqueen

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 19:51 »
Hello,  I really do sympathise with you  :(   I've recently moved house and taken over a badly overgrown garden area, so many brambles, thistles, nettles, tree roots, etc. etc.,  you name it, it was there, so soul destroying and depressing  :(  

I won't use chemicals, weedkillers etc., so the only way is plenty of elbow grease and backache  :?   but no pain no gain eh ?

the only way I'm afraid is to keep chipping away, a little at a time,  I first cut down all the top growth, and then dug out as many roots as I could, I'm expecting some to grow up again, but it should be easier now to chop them back again now.

I now have some veggies growing  :D   but still a lot of work to do

Don't have any other advice I'm afraid, just keep at it, one day you'll see the difference you're making  :)

Good luck.

greenqueen

woodburner

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 20:17 »
My first plot had a forest of brambles on the back third, it hadn't been cultivated in 20 years. I cut them down with a scythe and loppers, and then double dug the area. Only one or two had roots that went below the two spit deep trench. I'm sure that it's a lot less effort in the long run digging them out that way than digging lots of individual holes, plus you get a wonderfully prepared plot as well as bramble free.

An advantage of brambles is the lack of other weeds to drive your spade through when digging, also lack of perennial roots and I got the impression there was less 'weed seed' too.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 20:42 »
One or two members on here have azada's they reckon they are ace at root removal
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
getting rid of brambles

Started by jjlittle on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 21:07
by jjlittle
xx
Brambles!!!!!

Started by leinad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 11:40
by woodburner
xx
brambles

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 19:45
by missycat
xx
brambles

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 15:35
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 36 queries.