Forgive my ignorance but ......

• 4 Replies

vegmandan

« on: October 31, 2008, 00:04 »
Seeing all these posts about overwintering chilli plants for next year, please forgive my stupidity in asking whether I can cut mine back, and also my capsicum plants and get a crop from the same plants next year. :?

I never realised it could be done. :oops:  

If this is true I'd love to hear some tips regarding how to do this.

Cheers.  :D

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 20:41 »
just posted on another thread about this but Aggy for sure has experience.  Cut back to about half the current size.  Keep somewhere cool over winter but frost free and in the SPring move to a warmer spot (watch out for frost still) and they will grow again and produce hopefuly earlier chillies.  I don't know this for certain as i am trying it for the first time this year too, i have chilli and normal peppers (about 15 plants) and i am going to try it this year.  I will report back on the success as we go along.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 00:22 »
Quote from: "cawdor2001"
just posted on another thread about this but Aggy for sure has experience.  Cut back to about half the current size.  Keep somewhere cool over winter but frost free and in the SPring move to a warmer spot (watch out for frost still) and they will grow again and produce hopefuly earlier chillies.  I don't know this for certain as i am trying it for the first time this year too, i have chilli and normal peppers (about 15 plants) and i am going to try it this year.  I will report back on the success as we go along.

Cawdor

....don't keep too cool....room temperature is good :)

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 19:56 »
My chilli pepper plant and my chinese 5 colour chilli plants are still fruiting & ripening. Tepins have recently germinated after 5 months waiting.
My bell pepper plants are well if nibbled when they were still in the garden. I've removed the worst damaged leaves but the  flowers dropped so no fruit this time, what shall I do about those? Thanks

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 13:26 »
I did this last year with 5 chilli plants, I cut them down to a couple of buds on each branch, 2 straightaway grew new shoots but the other 3 died, the 2 that survived has been prolific and one is even now flowering for the second time this year, I’m just going to leave it and see how it gets on. By the way they are on the window here at work.
Paul

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.