easiest starter vegetable

• 44 Replies

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 10:37 »
cool idea and easier on the back, I'm only in my forties and already have the Hozelock Kneeler  :roll:

FRUITFULL

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 10:37 »
More showing off :roll: i couldnt get radishes to grow this year.I got a few manky leaves but nothing on the root.
Learnt alot this year though so cant wait for next year.Neighbour gave me a parifin heater for the greenhouse so just need to mastic the draft holes in there,mend some glass that the halestones smashed last month and were ready for new season.

garddwr

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 10:38 »
What were the yeilds on the Kelvedon Wonder ? Which Heritage variety are you growing?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 10:40 »
I'm not showing off, I'm sharing my experiences & passing on hints!  :wink:  

If I was showing off, I'd let you see the piccies, but not tell you how to do it! :lol:  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

FRUITFULL

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 10:45 »
True DD your just very clever and knoledgable.I have learnt so much from reading on here.
Found out today chickens get worms (thats creepy)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 10:46 »
Quote from: "DD."
I'm not showing off, I'm sharing my experiences & passing on hints!  :wink:

If I lived nearer you'd be sharing your fresh peas too  :wink:  :D

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 10:49 »
Quote from: "FRUITFULL"
True DD your just very clever and knoledgable.I have learnt so much from reading on here.
Found out today chickens get worms (thats creepy)

Not really, think I've learnt more on here in the last 2 years from others, than the previous 30+ on my own!

paintedlady

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 11:02 »
Quote from: "peapod"

Peas are only easy for DD, he is the pea whisperer  :D (mine got mildewed  :cry: )

Last year when I grew peas, I had 2 varieties - Kelvedon Wonder & Hurst Greenshaft, and sowed a batch of each every 2 weeks.  Most produced fantastic pods of lovely sweet peas (but I started to favour the HG because they had more peas to the pod - more of a kitchen thing than a growing issue  :wink:   )  By the last batch in mid-June, the rain was becoming too much for them & by the end of July, they all went down with mildew, the last batch producing nothing of consequence.  I also noticed that the shadow from the nearby shed was more noticeable by August/September across that bed.

So I deduced that batch sowings was definitely the best way to go, starting in March and it was weather dependant and to avoid shady spots even though they got sun most other times.

PS Didn't grow many peas this year as had lots of other things going off & ran out of time

Hope that helps peapod (peapod? - with a username like that, you just HAVE to successfully grow peas  :lol:  :wink: )
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 11:06 »
Favourite for me has got to be the humble carrot.  Freshly dug carrots were a real discovery for me.  Blissful.  Also, if juiced with ginger they make a great hang over cure.  I could use some of that this morning.

Easiest this year was the Swiss chard.  I had to dig a few of my plants up as I had far too much from 20 plants.  I'm down to a more manageable 12 now and I've still got more than you can shake a stick at.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 11:51 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
Quote from: "peapod"

Peas are only easy for DD, he is the pea whisperer  :D (mine got mildewed  :cry: )

Last year when I grew peas, I had 2 varieties - Kelvedon Wonder & Hurst Greenshaft, and sowed a batch of each every 2 weeks.  Most produced fantastic pods of lovely sweet peas (but I started to favour the HG because they had more peas to the pod - more of a kitchen thing than a growing issue  :wink:   )  By the last batch in mid-June, the rain was becoming too much for them & by the end of July, they all went down with mildew, the last batch producing nothing of consequence.  I also noticed that the shadow from the nearby shed was more noticeable by August/September across that bed.

So I deduced that batch sowings was definitely the best way to go, starting in March and it was weather dependant and to avoid shady spots even though they got sun most other times.

PS Didn't grow many peas this year as had lots of other things going off & ran out of time

Hope that helps peapod (peapod? - with a username like that, you just HAVE to successfully grow peas  :lol:  :wink: )

I did plant late in,because I got the plot in may
I was gutted they died :cry:
Im hoping this year they will behave, Ive got two beds for them, one lot for a heritage variety I cant eat this year that DD sent me, and will go with HG for the ones Im allowed to eat  :D

Paula

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 11:52 »
What about the old favourite "BEETROOT", easy to grow and delicious when still warm from the pot, luverley  :pig:
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

SalJ1980

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 12:15 »
Tomatoes and peas both did very well for me...I planted them, they grew!  :lol:
Sal

Organic...so far!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 13:14 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"

Carrots go well with peas! :twisted:

FRUITFULL

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 13:29 »
Can i say me and my neighbours had a beef tomatoe competition,who could grow the biggest.I won,cant find the picture now that had the weight on it but it was a whopper.Maybe not the most perfectly formed but it done me proud .It was a robinsons mamouth tomatoe grown from seed.:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

SalJ1980

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 15:26 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "SalJ1980"

Carrots go well with peas! :twisted:

Cheeky s*d!  :lol:

xx
Easiest for a Newbie?

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 14:52
by JayG
xx
Easiest way to grow carrots ?

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 22:54
by JayG
xx
What has been the easiest and most difficult crop

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 22:14
by kopperdrake
xx
Best or easiest way to grow pea shoots?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2014, 17:17
by mobilekat

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 36 queries.