Hello and help please

• 8 Replies

merrycraft

Hello and help please
« on: October 25, 2008, 17:28 »
Hi
New to chickens and to forums so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post.  Desperately need some advice before the chickens kill each otjavascript:emoticon(':(')her!  Have had the three girls for about six weeks now with no problems, one started laying and all happy.  Suddenly today when went to get them out of their ark on the grass, one has nasty hole in top of head and another on side.  Checked with supplier who suggested purple spray and vaseline and to put her back or the other two will 'have won'.  Tried this and the result was an all out attack on the poor bird and more damage :(.  NOw dont know what to do and have hen in the kitchen - not good as dog thinks dinner has just walked in!  SOrry if this is wordy but any help and advice from anyone would be much appreciated,

Meryl

Vember

Hello and help please
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 17:34 »
Hi MC
You've done the right thing in separating them, and purple spray is good :)
Some hen's can be quite nasty, it seems strange that would start attacking each other after 6 weeks :?
When you say Ark how big is it? could it be they haven't got enough room?

Sarah :)

merrycraft

Hello and help please
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 17:45 »
Hi Sarah

Thanks for the reply.  The ark is about 6 ft long and 3 ft wide but is only used for letting them round different bits of the garden for a couple of hours which they have been happy to do until now.  They are normally kept in an 8ft x 8ft run with a 4 x 3ft raised house.  Problem now is will I be able to put her back?

poultrygeist

Hello and help please
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 18:02 »
Hi merrycraft. Welcome from me.

Are they free ranging on your lawn at the moment or are they in a run ?

If one hen gets a scrape or a slight wound, it can attract teh others like a magnet. The purple spray theoretically stops them from being atracted but I don't know how effective it is in reality.

Vember has more experience than me so see what else she advises.

Rob 8)

Jellyhead

Hello and help please
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 18:05 »
Stop yawning everyone please :roll:  I always use Tea Tree cream on wounds as it is an antiseptic and smells vile enough not to eat :shock: It works wonders on my chooks, kids, dogs cats whatever. Its great stuff, fairly cheap and it works. Good luck :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Vember

Hello and help please
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 18:06 »
Tricky one :?

I would be tempted if she's sprayed with the purple spray to pop her back in tonight, and see how things go tomorrow. The longer you keep her away from them the harder it will be to reunite :(

Sarah :?

merrycraft

Hello and help please
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 18:31 »
Thanks everyone for the advice - as its dark now two are back in the house all tucked up so will try and put her back in.  The purple spray didnt seem to stop them earlier but will persevere.  Will get some Tea Tee cream as well - I cant stand the smell so hopefully they wont.  The vaseline idea certainly didnt work - they just ate it!  Also hadnt realised how vicious they seemed to get.
They are normally kept in the run as havent had the nerve to let them free range yet but the ark was obviously not the best thing.

Heres hoping peace reigns again in the morning.  If all else fails and I have to keep her out for a while are there any tips for reintroduction please. Sorry to keep asking but really enjoying my 'girls' and hate to see them hurt.

Meryl

Vember

Hello and help please
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 18:45 »
The best way to reintroduce after fighting is to have them side by side in separate runs, that way they see each other but can't actually hurt each other :)

Really hope things are better tomorrow, keep us updated, and when you've got them sorted pop into Chicken chat with photo's of your girls :D

Fingers crossed for you :D

Sarah :)

garddwr

Hello and help please
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 22:32 »
Hi and welcome from me.

Vember is the expert here as I am a very novice chicken keeper !

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 36 queries.