Growing cauliflowers

• 17 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Growing cauliflowers
« on: February 18, 2007, 18:27 »
We have been told that cauliflowers are harder to grow than cabbages. Please could anyone tell us what the problems are and what is the best fertilizer to mix into soil which has had cow manure dug in.
Thanking you all in advance, Terry and Jim
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 18:31 »
We gave up growing cauli's years ago.  

All matured at the same time.

Difficult to blanch heads

Heads often began to bolt and became a strong unpleasant flavour.

If any one knows a successful variety I'd like to have another go.

WG.

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 18:33 »
Can't say I've had any problems growing them (organically).  As I recall, they do need boron present but plenty of muck should see to that.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 18:34 »
What variety do you grow whisky_golf    :?:

WG.

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 18:45 »
All The Year Round simply because my Mum did.  Despite the name, it doesn't overwinter for me but then not a lot does.  Yes, you do get a whole lot ready at the same time but I barter them with local hotels.  I also make tons of piccalilli and cauli is essential ingredient.

ziggywigs

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 19:01 »
Last year is the first year i've managed to be successful with caulis in the sense that i had probs with heads forming.

Previously they have started to develop a curd and then bolted or not developed.

What i did last year was to make sure they were very firmly planted this seems to be critical otherwise the heads don't form properly and for sprouts they are blowsy.  If you start from seed you need to make sure they are firm when potting on as this affects them developing...they really are divas.  I also flung down some fertiliser and made sure they were weed free.

You also need to ensure that they develop at a steady rate so watering is critical too....otherwise they will bolt.

Other problems are the cabbage whites...to be successful you really need to grow under some sort of protection (well at least i do) otherwise your lovely formed heads will be eaten by caterpillers!

muntjac

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 20:03 »
manure in winter and leave to get frosted over leaving the ground rough. grow ya plants in single pots with a space around them so plenty light gets in and they dont go leggy. run a shallow dig over the bed your going to put them in .. level it off plant 24 inches aprt when you plant them out put 2 thirds the stalk under n make em really firm .  make a small mound soil up around the stem so no water pools around the stem . let em alone for about 4 months then give them a feed of iether sulphate of potash and ammonia 1/2 teaspoon of each in pint of  water in the evening .or liquid manure 1/2 cap to pint water.always always check they are not rocking in the ground .firm with ya boot if they are . when heads start to form bring the outer leaves over and stick an elastic band around them to hold them in the head . cover with butterfly netting to prevent the cabbage white getting em
still alive /............

WG.

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 20:11 »
Cabbage White Butterfly protection is in the form of me with a badminton racquet !!

I also rub off any egg clusters I find underneath the leaves.  If any caterpillars get out, I knock them off into a bucket with salty water in.

Annie

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 20:22 »
I tried cauliflower Snowball for the first time last year.I started in pots then planted out under net.All plants started off OK then they began to grow at different rates.When the first couple grew curds I bent over the leaves to protect them,the heads weren`t hugh but big enough for us.On advice I left the rest in and 1by 1 they produced curds,though 1 boulted and had to by added to soup(if you have net and bent leaves you can`t tell at a glance what is happening).We haven`t decided if to grow this year because they take up a fair bit of room,plus this may have been beginners luck.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 20:28 »
Avoid F1 hybrid varieties - which will always mature at the same time, open pollinated varieties are also cheaper.

Never let caulis dry out

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 20:54 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
manure in winter and leave to get frosted over leaving the ground rough. grow ya plants in single pots with a space around them so plenty light gets in and they dont go leggy. run a shallow dig over the bed your going to put them in .. level it off plant 24 inches aprt when you plant them out put 2 thirds the stalk under n make em really firm .  make a small mound soil up around the stem so no water pools around the stem . let em alone for about 4 months then give them a feed of iether sulphate of potash and ammonia 1/2 teaspoon of each in pint of  water in the evening .or liquid manure 1/2 cap to pint water.always always check they are not rocking in the ground .firm with ya boot if they are . when heads start to form bring the outer leaves over and stick an elastic band around them to hold them in the head . cover with butterfly netting to prevent the cabbage white getting em

:D Dear Muntjac,
Very many thanks for your prompt and detailed advice on growing cauliflowers.
You have made our minds to do it.
One other question. How soon - or how warm should the earth be before we plant out?
Kind regards Jim

muntjac

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 21:05 »
early coli should have gone in just afore Christmas you may get away with it now if ya can sow em quick,,,, plant out in march
late cauli for autumn sow end march plant out in early may ......to harvest july ish .
winter coli sow now and plant out sumer  to cut it Christmas   varieties  i leave to you .
 i buy mine from t&m seeds

muntjac

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 21:06 »
as ur nth of me mate nr manchester .i have taken into account ur a little behind us in season stakes

milkman

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 09:40 »
I'm still in practice to get the perfect cauli (it's taking me several years!) - didn't do too badly last year - had a couple of lovely specimens - I think I posted a pic in the album - the variety was Igloo.

I start the seeds off in Rootrainers, then transplant the plants when they are looking nice and sturdy into a bed which has had a thick application of mushroom compost, spacing them about 1 1/2 feet apart.  Then I protect them from all the beasties under a viromesh tent.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

mercury

Growing cauliflowers
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 21:00 »
I've never had a problem growing cauli, i think it could be down to my very heavy soil :)

xx
Growing Cauliflowers, Please help Me !!!

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 23:00
by lottielearner
xx
growing winter cauliflowers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2019, 17:39
by rowlandwells
xx
Growing Cauliflowers Under Runner Beans

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 15:36
by Trillium
xx
Cauliflowers!

Started by Coach on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 19:58
by Chappers

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 36 queries.