Coldframe Heaters for Greenhouse?

• 16 Replies

WG.

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 22:59 »
Don't want to be a killjoy but I see some problems

1. expense of installation.  Won't the water need to be piped back to return to the existing drain / soakaway?  SEPA are a mighty powerful body these days

2. freezing in winter?

3. you'd need to take a shower EVERY DAY to notice any benefit  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

You are both scientific types ... is there really that much heat energy contained in the volume of water required to take a shower?  What d'ya reckon the exit temperature is at the plughole ... 30 degs C maybe??

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 23:09 »
Okay

1.  OH very capable with stuff and cheap to pay (loves home made soup... :cool: ).  We have our own septic tank and the drain water could connect in lower down easily.

2. The patio remains unfrozen in winter already - this is the south facing wall of an area with 2 other sides to it.  Passion flower lives growing up one wall here!

3.  I have four children - no problem!

Okay the heating bit.  Water takes a lot of energy to heat (4.2joules to raise 1ml by 1 degree Celcius), meaning it releases a lot of energy as it cools.  Freezing water releases even more energy (the reverse amount is needed to thaw it).

So really we are not talking a very warm frame.... may be tepid would be a better description.  But it would give plants an edge I think....

... whether it would be enough of an edge to warrent doing it is another matter!
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

xx
Greenhouse heaters

Started by digby on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 08:10
by Pimento
xx
Propane Greenhouse Heaters

Started by muckshifter on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 21:15
by muckshifter
xx
Paraffin heaters

Started by scabs on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post November 26, 2009, 21:51
by sam on lewis
xx
Propane heaters??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 21:49
by WG.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 36 queries.