Problem Dog Question.

• 16 Replies

Minty

• Experienced Member
Problem Dog Question.
« on: October 23, 2008, 21:54 »
Our site has a policy of allowing dogs on site as long as they are on a lead and under control,I always take my two dogs with me and they are always on the lead or at the bottom of the plot on long chains.Other people take their dogs along with them and we have not seen any problems at all.

Although there is one of the committe members who takes his dog along and it's never on a lead,run's around everyone's plot's and through their crop's and has a habbit of leaving little packages on most plot's.I have mentioned the problems to the secertery but was told it's allowed to do as it pleases because apparently it keeps the rats under control but my dog has rooted out more rats than that thing even while she's on her lead.

I was just going to live with the problem but now I'm getting fed up of turning up at the plot to find everything trappled and on saturday the dog came onto my plot and tried to attack one of my dogs.

Now as I know talking to anyone on the committe is going to be like banging my head against a brick wall I just wondered if anyone know's what to do next?It's a council owned site so should I be contacting them to see if there is anything that can be done?

The only thing thats bothering me is getting thrown off the site for ruffleing some feathers.

Knight Family

Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 22:22 »
i think see how many other people think its an issue maybe?? Otherwise not much help I'm sorry but I would have thought the council will have an opinon but the answer may not be one you like "No dogs.".
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Minty

• Experienced Member
Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 22:27 »
Thanks for the reply.

Plenty of other people are fed up but they dont want to upset anyone.

Thats my biggest worry,a total ban on dogs as my two hate being left at home.

Knight Family

Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 23:19 »
Minty,
  One thing to remember is if its council run I cannot see them kicking you off if other people have an issue.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 00:16 »
u could always surround your plot with chicken wire, would also keep rabbits at bay.
or smack said dog over the head with a spade......

Salmo

Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 10:36 »
Take photos of dog, damage, poop. Be sure of your facts.

Write to the Chairman of the committee something like this.

Please will you remind plot holders that dogs are allowed on the allotments only if they are on a lead and under control.

One dog in particular seems to be allowed to run free, damaging crops and leaving excretia on other peoples plots. Two weeks ago it attacked my dog which was tied up on my plot.

I spoke to the person about it but got very short shift.

My dogs enjoy being with me on my plot and I would not like to see dogs banned altogether. I fear that a few irresponsible people may spoil it for those who abide by the rules.

There is no need to name names. If the Chaiman does not know who it is he will ask. He may well be aware of the situation already and your letter may well be the stimulus he needs to do something about it.

Sometimes we have to stand up and be counted. Good luck and be brave.

Knight Family

Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:02 »
Salmo, good letter writing :)

Oscar Too

Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 11:26 »
Quote from: "Minty"
Thanks for the reply.

Plenty of other people are fed up but they dont want to upset anyone.

Thats my biggest worry,a total ban on dogs as my two hate being left at home.

That's your answer.  You'll need to take a lead, but once you get enough people together the committee will have to take notice.  See whether you can get several others to write a letter to the secretary to all arrive at the same time.  Get a petition going to control animals.  Does anyone have young children?  Play the child act - what if the toddler eats the poo or is bitten?  No-one like sticking their head above the parapet, but once you do, others will follow.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:31 »
Quote from: "Minty"
Our site has a policy of allowing dogs on site as long as they are on a lead and under control

Theres your answer, if thats part of the contract then in the letter make sure thats pointed out too. I understand you dont want to ruffle any feathers, but you are going to get sick of this dog ruining your stuff anyway, and gradually go off having your lotty

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

woodburner

Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 12:08 »
Perhaps, as a dog owner, you are more tolerant of dogs' messes, but I'd be hopping mad if anyone's dog messed on my plot. Personaly I wouldn't want a plot on a site where dogs were allowed as there's no telling whether a previous holder kept his dogs properly wormed or whatever it is that needs to be done to prevent toxicara plasmosis. I do however undertand your need for such a site.

Sure I would talk to other plot holders, but I wouldn't wait for their approval, if it wasn't forthcoming, before I contacted the owners. The rule is there and it's fine as it is. You are within the rules and he is breaking them.
The excuse that the dog is catching rats is pathetic and in no way excuses the owner from cleaning up after him.

I'd copy Salmo's letter, very nicely worded IMO :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Minty

• Experienced Member
Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 18:35 »
Thanks to you all for some great advice.

Salmo the letter is a great idea so I'll have a word with a few other plot holders and see if anyones interested in doing the same.

Like I said though the trouble is the bloke in question is on the committe and they seem to be a very tight nit group,I have mentioned the problem to a few other committe members and just get the same reply that it's allowed to do what it want's because it apperently kill's rats. :roll:

gobs

Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 19:08 »
Well, Minty, it's a hard political decision to make, you gotta way up your enemy well before you start such like, as we say, be careful starting with committee members if you want to be happily keeping your lottie.

But usually it's not that bad on the ground, you might be getting the rough treatment for it, but it is very unusual to get to this extreme of being quicked out, it's extraordinary, but does happen.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 19:16 »
perhaps you could take the attitude "is this the council's official policy and method of pest control? and ask to see the results statistics and proof so that all the allotment holders can decide whether they would prefer an alternative form of pest control?after all, this is supposed to be a democracy!
if i am correct then anyone is allowed to go to the AGM, could the point be raised there?

is there a council representative on the allotment committee?
which hat is he/she wearing when it comes to impementation of council rules and regs?

Minty

• Experienced Member
Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 21:11 »
Quote from: "ceri green"
perhaps you could take the attitude "is this the council's official policy and method of pest control? and ask to see the results statistics and proof so that all the allotment holders can decide whether they would prefer an alternative form of pest control?after all, this is supposed to be a democracy!
if i am correct then anyone is allowed to go to the AGM, could the point be raised there?

is there a council representative on the allotment committee?
which hat is he/she wearing when it comes to impementation of council rules and regs?

We've been talking about this tonight and have decided to go to the next public meeting and bring the point up there when everyone is in one place.

I could kill more rats in one day with my air rifle than that dog has killed so I'll bring up the point on policy over pest control as I would do it for free and not leave little packages all over peoples plots :lol:

Elcie

Problem Dog Question.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 22:47 »
Good luck with this, it is a tricky one.  However, just because someone is on the committee shouldn't give their dog the right to trample other people's crops.  When they leave a 'package' at least you can see it.  The dog must also be weeing somewhere and that can't be seen.  A revolting thought.

xx
Lemon Tree question/problem

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 17:10
by DopeyAlex
xx
Cherry tree question/problem

Started by seanandde on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 09:48
by SG6
xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 36 queries.