Clubroot

• 11 Replies
Clubroot
« on: October 23, 2008, 18:45 »
:( started our allotment this summer and looks like we have clubroot in the soil ! Do we give up on brassicas or does anyone have any suugestions ?
Castle Cumpo

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Clubroot
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 20:01 »
Try growing them in larger pots before planting out, and also I read somewhere that earthing up the stem with multi purp also can help.

I'm fortunate not to have it, that's why I never buy in brassica seedlings to risky.

:oops:  forgot my manners  Welcome to the forums Julian  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Ice

• muck spreader
Clubroot
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 20:11 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I never buy in brassica seedlings to risky.

I hadn't thought of that Richie.  It would be all too easy to import something nasty that way. :shock:
Cheese makes everything better.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Clubroot
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 20:13 »
Quote from: "Ice"
I never buy in brassica seedlings to risky.

I hadn't thought of that Richie.  It would be all too easy to import something nasty that way. :shock:

yes too easy Ice, won't buy any in not even wallflowers.

Leligdowicz

Re: Clubroot
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 13:33 »
Quote from: "Julian Cumpstone"
:( started our allotment this summer and looks like we have clubroot in the soil ! Do we give up on brassicas or does anyone have any suugestions ?

Try a cabbage variety called Kilaton, which is clubroot resistant. There are various brassicas available which are also resistant so worth shopping around.

garddwr

Clubroot
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 14:06 »
Kilaxy is a clubroot ressistant variety.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Clubroot
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:57 »
Hi, hope this helps, couple of guys down at the lottie have complained of clubroot this year. Both bought in plants from the same source, therein may lie the answer!!

However 'ole Den, one of our elder statesmen, previously advised me to add a little lime when planting out my young brassicas, apart from the usual whitefly, caterpillars ect, I've had no problems with clubroot.

Also going back Den advised  the other two guys to obviously plant in a different area/location next time, but to add a small piece of rhubard to each hole when planting out, so its buried under the roots. (only about an inch or so).

If it works it works ? He reckons it does. Worth a try at least, hope that helps, Bye PAH  still :) 'in

Club root
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 13:31 »
:) Thanks for the reply everyone. We did plant our own seed so looks like we inherited the club root problem. Will note all your helpful suggestions and hope for the best.

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
Clubroot
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 14:29 »
I'm surprised at the rhubarb suggestion
add a small piece of rhubarb to each hole when planting out, so its buried under the roots.
because rhubarb is very acid and I thought clubroot disliked alkaline conditions, hence the ususal recommendation to add lime. Then again, perhaps it just dislikes extremes of pH.
Organic

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Clubroot
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 14:30 »
Quote from: "Stoatus"
add a small piece of rhubarb to each hole when planting out, so its buried under the roots.
because rhubarb is very acid and I thought clubroot disliked alkaline conditions, hence the ususal recommendation to add lime. Then again, perhaps it just dislikes extremes of pH.

Perhaps it's the toxins in it

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Clubroot
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 15:44 »
The only down side to my new plot is clubroot, all the brassicas had it this year, I was told it wasn't on the site but since been told its everywhere. I am adding a good covering of lime soon, it wont eradicate it but will knock it back for next years crop, I grew greyhound this year with great success and my kales are looking good as is my PSB so although its on it has not effected me that much.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Clubroot
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 20:13 »
Quote from: "Stoatus"

Perhaps it's the toxins in it

Been there, seen it, done it.

Don't work!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Looking for help with clubroot

Started by meltaff on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 22:00
by muntjac
xx
clubroot

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2021, 14:08
by Christine
xx
Clubroot

Started by thegarybrough on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 17:16
by thegarybrough
xx
I've got clubroot.....how?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 22:34
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 36 queries.