Heeling in parsnips

• 17 Replies

jb

• Experienced Member
Heeling in parsnips
« on: October 19, 2008, 16:02 »
I have some parsnips dotted around various raised beds, some of which will be OK and some of which will be rubbish (2-3inch knobbly round growths rather than roots), from what I have seen from harvesting thinnings as babies and a couple of exploratory checks recently. As I would like to consolidate them and ditch the total duffers could I dig them up now and heel in the decent ones for storage over winter or do they only last for a short period of time if heeled in? Also is there a preferred soil type for heeling in?
Cheers,
Jon

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 16:06 »
I think it's a bit early to consider digging for storage, I wouldn't even contemplate lifting parsnips for eating before they'd have a really good frost on them.

Once lifted, even though you may heel them in, you start the clock ticking towards their demise. Couldn't tell you how long though, I never lift mine for storage, they stay put all winter.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Gwiz

Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 16:09 »
I can't see any problems with doing this, I think the term for it is "clamping". If you don't get anymore detailed replies, give me a pm, and I'll try to find the book I read about it in!

EDIT:
DD is right though, it is a bit early....
 :wink:

farmersue

Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 20:40 »
I dug up a couple of my parsnips today and they are monsters! They were rather tasteless though and i'm worried that if i leave them until we have a frost they'll have grown even bigger and got woody. Oh it's a worrying business this grow your own lark.  :?

AndyRVTR

Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 20:44 »
This might be a silly question... but why wait unitl a frost before lifting parsnips?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 20:51 »
You don't want the ground to be frosty / frozen when you lift parsnips, but it is generally accepted that parsnips improve vastly in flavour after they have had their first proper frost - something to do with the sugars turning sweeter or something  :roll:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AndyRVTR

Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 21:11 »
ahhhh... I was just curious, I was always led to believe that parsnips can be grown all year round but if it adds flavour and they taste nicer than Aunt Bessies, I'm willing to try anything once.  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 21:28 »
Quote from: "farmersue"
I dug up a couple of my parsnips today and they are monsters! They were rather tasteless though and i'm worried that if i leave them until we have a frost they'll have grown even bigger and got woody. Oh it's a worrying business this grow your own lark.  :?

They usually don't turn woody until they start to re-grow in the spring.

farmersue

Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 21:40 »
Oh thank you. I'll wait for Jack frost then.  :D

jb

• Experienced Member
Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 21:45 »
Thanks for the advice folks, just one more question how strong does the frost have to be as it's predicted to be 1-2C midweek overnight here (so same for you Andy, if you're waiting, like me, for some mature roots). My babby neeps were nice and sweet but did undergo a transistion losing a lot of their taste a couple of months ago, so I would like to leave everything till they do regain their flavour. Having said that I sowed parsnips so we could (hopefully) pull some up for Christmas dinner so I will be leaving the vast majority till December.
Jon

AndyRVTR

Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 21:50 »
Quote from: "jb"
(so same for you Andy, if you're waiting, like me, for some mature roots).

I'm afraid all I'm waiting for at the moment Jon, is for the Roundup to work on my new plot... or should that be Jungle  :lol:

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 08:18 »
Just a suggestion, but I was given some parsnips yesterday when I was at the allotment and the old boy told me to stick them straight in the freezer when I got home, then you have your frost which will sweeten them up nicely! Makes sense in theory because they are a nice size but would have been tastless without the frost so I am giving it ago! :)

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43 »
Sharonx - I am interested if the trick of sticking them in the freezer worked, How long did you put them in for and did they taste good.
Paul

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 15:44 »
Well the old boy told me to put them in for a few days (you don't wash first, straight from the ground to freezer)then take them out and treat them as you would normally, either blanching for the freezer or cooking them. I only got them yesterday so I will let you know how they go. He swears by it because you can pull them when they are still young and tender and he has never let me down with his advice yet so i'm expecting good results  :)

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Heeling in parsnips
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 06:44 »
Thanks Sharonx - I look forward to the results, wonder if it would work for other veg such as brussels and swede? who some say benefit from a frost

xx
heeling in

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 21:54
by Trillium
xx
Heeling In?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 19:25
by DD.
xx
heeling in?

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 18:20
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Heeling in raspberries.

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 15:48
by ianl

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 36 queries.