keeping chickens by a novice (help)

• 13 Replies

kezlou

« on: October 14, 2008, 10:10 »
Hello everyone, my first post in the poultry section :oops:

Just wondered if i could get some quick advice.
I am hoping to purchase two hens for laying eggs, i'm thinking of amberlinks at the moment, courtesy of grannie annies site.

My main concern is i would most probably want to keep them either at home in my yard so that i could keep an eye on them.
I looked on this site and the guy who runs recommends this hen house for two chickens:-

http://www.downthelane.net/chickenhousing/IMAG007A.JPG
The 'standard' and basic ark. This one is about 6' x 3'6" and would house two chickens OK

My other option is making a little house for them under my middle room window or next to mini green house thingy and allowing them the full run of the yard and then putting them to bed on the night. My yard is about 5 metres long and some parts only a metre wide. Every other day i would also allow them to roam the alley way which is huge in order to give them more exercise.

Is this space too small for them to live  as i do not want to get the hens and keep them in  cramped space it may sound silly but i like animals to be comfortable.

Is this space too small for keeping chickens in? Or is the idea or keeping chickens in a yard a cruel notion.
Thanks for looking, any advice would be appreciated.
Sorry for such a long post.

Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:29 »
Hi Kerry. Nice ot see you on this side of the chicken wire  :D

Is your yard covered in grass/soil or hard surfaced ??

That ark is prob ok for housing but teh attached run is too small for 2 amberlinks. If you can let them have your yard area, that would be ok depending on what you put down,etc

Could you put up a photo of the area ?
Always helps to see it and might get some more suggestions coming in.

Keep asking. We aim to please  :D

Rob 8)

kezlou

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:44 »
i know i feel quite strange coming onto the poultry bit.

Just uploading the pics up now to photobucket. Thanks for getting back to me  Rob, didnt think i'd an expert so quick!  :D

kezlou

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:55 »
BEWARE  i have just dumped a load of stuff in the yard and my washing still hanging out  :oops: Stupid washing machine keeps breaking. So sorry for the mess.

Heres the main area:-

Warmest place of the yard near the window:-

(I would prefer them to be here but i think it might be too small)

The length:-

And could i use some of these to make a hen house play thing for them.

I know its not a lot of space that's why i ask so many questions about keeping them, my cats use the entire place but the chickens should be fine. (She says confidently).

Are these pictures any good Rob?

lotstodo

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:57 »
The ark looks similar to the one that my brother-in-law has for his girls but he had 3 hybrids in it. He has now cornered off a section of the garden for them and keeps this ark open so they can go in at night and use the nest box as required. He found the attached run was too small for them. The outside room you have sounds ok - after all its much bigger than they would have in battery farm!  They do like scratching so an area for this hobby would be great for them. A warning thou any plants you have will either be devoured or dug up! :roll:

If you can make your own ark this would prob work out a lot cheaper for you,  and you could make the run as big as you like, if you have any foxes that visit you or around the area you will also need to take this into consideration.

Ours are all pets and have the run of the garden in the day and closed in to their run and coop in the evening, the 3 of us have our own favorite. Just a warning thou they are addictive!

lotstodo

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:00 »
Also check your house deeds and with the neighbours.

kezlou

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:06 »
We have urban foxes but luckily none have been in the garden yet, i don't think they can climb over the wall as its quite high. The cats can barely scale it :lol: daft thing is they can climb up the roof hmm strange cats.

I'm sure my neighbours won't mine on one side they students and the other is barely used but i'll check with them first before i do anything.

I can see me buying more chickens in the near future! Thanks for your help.

Is the area outside the window too small for a coop?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 11:18 »
Hi Kerry, first of all, we normally say get 3 chickens not 2 because they are flock animals and if one dies then you are left with a lonely hen until you get a replacement.  

The minimum housing space is 1sq foot per bird, so something that size will be okay housingwise, and minimum run space per bird is 1sq metre, but as much as possible.  

We have a similar ark to that which 2 hens live in okay,but they free range the whole garden during the day, poking their tongues out to the Amberlinks in the runs!!!    :lol:

If the yard is concrete floored, some people put down bark and shavings etc so they can still do their natural thing of pecking and scratching about, and a bit tray perhaps with soil or something for a nice dustbath.

Welcome to the mad world of chicken keeping!!!!!

Thank you for the compliment about the amberlinks, but the Babcocksare lovely birds too!!   And if you had bantams, being smaller, the area would seem bigger to them too!!!!

kezlou

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:27 »
sorry i had to have a sneak peek at your site, all those chicks look so cute!!

Bantams, are they egg layers too? As you can tell i have no idea about chickens. I was thinking of putting wood shavings down on the floor around the actual hen house.

My plan so far, let me know dodo (PLEASE don't be nice) :lol:)

1)make a shanty type house, maybe put it on top of house bricks and a little ramp.
2) make a sort of small chicken run for on the night, roam during the day.
3) Let them run in the alley way for more room with me watching them of course.

Oh another daft question if i were to take the chickens out for a walk would they follow to the local park / school to eat the grass, weeds etc
I know they not dogs but thought i'd ask.

Bet your chicks in the run are so jealous of the other two :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 11:29 »
I think the area (spacewise) is big enough but not sure how they would manage if it's paved or concreted. If foxes can get in, they will and again I don't know whether they can scale the walls. Depends on what's on the other side of the wall they can climb on. You might need to put some wire netting on top of the walls to keep them out.

Your cats may object to sharing their space. I've got a good idea as to who would win if they take on amberlinks. They're hard as nails  :lol:

Rob 8)

ps. Ain't no experts here  :shock:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 11:33 »
regarding the cats... my 2 are 100% fine with the chickens and vice versa. The basically ignore each other.

kezlou

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:38 »
Oh god i can the fights now my fat tommy against an amberlink, can see many trips to the vets!
The walls on the outside(alleyway) are smooth no hand grips just plain wall. I'll make sure the silver bins are away from our yard.

Hope my cats are like yours Mark :)

So glad theys enough space for them, not to win over my OH, or just build the hen house and tell him were getting two or three!

Grannie suggested woodchip for the yard for and tub of grit / dust for them to bathe in. Would that be okay?

Thanks for the help :) I'm off buy a slow cooker and hunt down some pack lunch food for tomorrow, been really naughty and haven't been shopping)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 23:07 »
Like I said, I'm sure a few of our members have hard standing under their chooks feet.  there is nothing like a nice bit of dirt to scratch in though, hence the idea of a dust bath somewhere for them, sheltered from wet weather to keep it dry.  

What about digging some of the concrete or slabs up and turning over the ground underneath?  is that possible?

As for bantams, yes they are a smaller chicken and they lay smaller eggs, so you'll need more in your omelete!!!!  You can get quite a few different breeds that have been bantamized!!!!! lol

Thanks for looking at my blog, yes, the chicks are lovely aren't they?  It's a shame they grow up, I love them when they are tiny!!!!!

woodburner

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 20:44 »
The space is plenty for a couple (or even three ;) ) chooks. The area being so confined I'd be a bit worried about smell though.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
New to keeping chickens

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 21:43
by andreadon
smiley
new to keeping chickens

Started by jony worrall on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 09:12
by toasted
xx
Keeping Chickens

Started by Lilac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 19:53
by SnooziSuzi
xx
keeping chickens

Started by tomtomgo44 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 10:10
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.