Very smug - great allotment weekend

• 9 Replies

bethaphillips

« on: October 13, 2008, 13:07 »
Hi everyone,

I'm sitting at my desk very proud of myself after a weekend toiling away in the allotment!

Thanks to the great weather, my husband and I were there for around seven hours this weekend and we managed to remove the weeds from all our beds and cover them ready for winter. We also weatherproofed our shed and made an amazing discovery of approx 12 frogs living in our sunken bath-come-pond!

What did everyone else get up too?

Beth

DIGGER

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 13:15 »
I confess I went to the lotte Sunday for about two hours but spent most of the time chatting. Went home told oh what a hard morning i  had. Opened a bottle of white wine and sat in my sunroom with a book. Slept till 4pm,checked if the lawn had grew,decided it could wait.
Spent evening looking at holiday brochures
Its all just to much

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 13:39 »
:lol:  that's the stuff  :D

I was on my plot attacking my overgrown hedge with a pair of loppers. Got loads done though but crikey there's tonnes of prunings  :shock:   I had made a start on shredding them but it's a huge job.  It was a lovely day and I had a robin to keep me company oh and a female pheasant  :D

Christine

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 14:42 »
Hmm went down with some stuff to store in the shed (useful stuff like bags for carrying produce home) and a big bag of shredded newspaper to be introduced to the compost heap(s) in very small doses.

I missed the first hourly bus up the very steep hill home as I didn't walk down fast enough and put things away fast enough. So I thought I would just collect some carrots. This allowed me to empty a couple of tubs of spent compost. And I managed to miss the next hourly bus. Then I realised I had a small hebe to plant out in a spare corner where veg won't grown next year (fruit trees now in position). I looked at one of the compost heaps that is just over three weeks old and it had settled in a couple of places so I thought well I can just add some stuff to those two places (did mean moving the plastic cover off). Missed another hourly bus (just) and accosted a brown green waste wheelie bin that was going to be put out for council to take away. Plot holder filled it up a second time to save him putting it out in two weeks time and gave me some pigeon poo to speed up the rot. Found and secured some plastic over most of pile leaving just a little bit showing but not enough to panic over.

Decided that I'd had enough and would move the major heap that has rotted to a fit to use state another day. Well it's a big heap like. And then it means that I have to move the newest heap into the cleared space.

I love making compost heaps - I just have to work up the same enthusiasm for moving and spreading them  :wink:

Cleo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 17:43 »
Took the kids to the lotty on the weekend. Dug a little. Marked out their beds for spring. Cleaned some pots. Bought some japanese onions and decided where to put my broad beans...
Now comes the hard work of actually putting them in :-)

Oh and the kids planted tulips and watered everything...weeds included.
They were so engrossed I didn't like to stop them. :-) :-)

Jen

• Experienced Member
Very smug-great allotment weekend
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 17:46 »
the perfic weekend,  :D  the mornings up the lottie in lovely
sun-shine getting loads done, and of course a good natter
with the G.O.B's then home for coffee and watch a couple
of rugby matches... heaven  8)

Jen   :flower:

DIGGER

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 17:48 »
I think my day was best :wink:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 17:49 »
tulips!

thanks for the reminder cleo, I knew there was something Id forgot to do!

paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 19:08 »
Quote from: "DIGGER"
I confess I went to the lotte Sunday for about two hours but spent most of the time chatting. Went home told oh what a hard morning i  had. Opened a bottle of white wine and sat in my sunroom with a book. Slept till 4pm,checked if the lawn had grew,decided it could wait.
Spent evening looking at holiday brochures
Its all just to much

You definitely worked to hard, it seems your just a plain workaholic  :lol:
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

yummy

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 21:10 »
Lovely weekend here too. I was there about 9.30 Saturday and decided to text best friends and invite them for a look see. They all obliged and liked it so much that they stayed for 3 hrs. One even put their name on the waiting list.

Was there for about 4 hrs on Sunday but did have an unscheduled and accidental snooze in the camping chair.

I weeded lots of the raised beds, took down the runner beans, composted em, cleaned the canes and tidied them away. I did the same with my mange tout.

Earthed up the leeks... spent about 1.5 hours making a new raised bed nice, forking it, sieving the lumps out, adding compost and a bit of grow organic. Then once nice and fluffy I had to stand on it  :oops:  before I put the broad beans in.

I weeded the salad bed, added some compost and sowed some winter lettuce.

We harvested the pumpkins and turned them over to dry out in the sun.

I planted some allium bulbs along the back of the plot.

Cut the last of the calabrese heads (might get a few side shoots still).

Cut some cavolo nero.

Drank alot of half price ribena courtesy of the local coop and nattered alot.

xx
Good Allotment weekend

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 16:17
by compostqueen
xx
What is your list of jobs for the allotment this weekend?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

51 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 00:02
by Paul Plots
xx
George Monbiot: A wee bit smug ?

Started by ted_woodley on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 14:56
by compostqueen
xx
Is this going to be big weekend?

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 17:04
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.617 seconds with 36 queries.