Weeds in the composter

• 4 Replies

FRUITFULL

Weeds in the composter
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:11 »
Is it ok to put weeds in the composter?I keep taking mine to the amenity tip as i thought maybe the seeds turn into weeds as we do have tomatoe pips grow from the compost.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Weeds in the composter
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:47 »
There are two types of weeds: annuals, and the perennials such as couch grass, bindweed, ground elder, mares tail etc.  The approach is often different, depending on the type of weed.

I have friends (yes, really!) on the allotment site who do compost their perennial weeds in separate compost heaps which they leave for a couple of years at least.

However, I think most gardeners / lottie people don't put perennial weeds on home compost heaps because the heap doesn't reliably get hot enough to kill off these pernicious weeds.

As far as annuals are concerned, if they have gone to seed, again the heap is generally thought unlikely to kill off those seeds.  But if it hasn't yet seeded, you should be ok.

I tend to put all my weeds in a recycling green bin or take them to the tip.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

FRUITFULL

Weeds in the composter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 19:36 »
Thanks for the info.I have put todays weed collection to one side so will get rid of them as we have 2 green joahnas so cant leave it for 2 years as keep filling them.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Weeds in the composter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 20:27 »
I compost my garden weeds as only annuals, but burn all my lotty weeds now, as bindweed and mares tail deserve the pain!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Christine

Weeds in the composter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 15:00 »
I'm all for composting annual weeds - I like to catch the little blighters before they go to seed. I mean you can never make enough compost on an allotment can you?

And if you get a few seeds along the way by mistake - well consider the growth next year's compost.  :wink:

question
Big White grubs in Composter

Started by Jean Stanford on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:45
by fatcat1955
xx
weeds

Started by mfconway on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 10:19
by fletch
question
Are these weeds?

Started by Dkang on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2017, 23:44
by gobs
xx
Weeds, weeds, weeds!

Started by Steve.P on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 12:39
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 36 queries.