Chillis over the winter

• 16 Replies

banf77

Chillis over the winter
« on: October 10, 2008, 16:07 »
Hi,

I currently have a large surplus of chilli plants, in pots in the garden. After looking after them so lovingly all year, I am reluctant to let any die in the frost. However I do not have enough room in the house to take them all in.

Will they survive in the shed, do you reckon? Also, with the ones going into the house, should I pick all the chillis now, or will they carry on growing throughout the winter, so I can pick them as and when I need them?
Cheers
Steve

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chillis over the winter
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 16:57 »
this is what I am wondering... I am going to overwinter a couple in the kitchen (sorry Mrs SG :) ) and am thinking about 5 or 6 others in the unheated greenhouse wrapped in fleece/bubble wrap. nothing to Toulouse I guess :)

pick the chillis sooner rather than later.. saying that mine are still going good guns and ripening all the time.

gobs

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 20:44 »
In my unheated thing they don't survive, but it's not insulated and flimsy.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

agapanthus

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 22:31 »
Try covering them with fleece as well....this could help. :)

Lardman

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 22:54 »
Leave the peppers as long as you can to ripen on the plant but catch them before first frost. Indoor ones pick as you need, they wont ripen very quickly (at all) with the low light levels though.

Its painful to do but I've overwintered many a plant by giving it a short back and sides and bottom.  Things like the habs / rocotos  its worth it but fast maturing peppers its just as easy to bin them and start again next year.

Cut the main stem of the plant down to around 6-8 inches, shorten any side branches to around 2-3 inches.  Wash the compost / soil off the roots and trim these down proportionately. Repot in a smaller pot with fresh compost and stick somewhere frost free and light, but not too warm. Not sure a plastic greenhouse would do, shed or garage might - but you can get away with far more in the house in small pots  :D

Next time Im doing one I'll grab my camera.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chillis over the winter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:29 »
Thanks for the tip lardman. Defo going to try it for my choc hab plant which is looking huge and healthy but only just fruiting *sobs*

matron

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33 »
I have a chillie plant on the front room window sill (well, other people have flowers so why not) and it is doing very well. It has a lot of fruit on it and all nicely turning red so I am going to leave it as long as possible.

Bombers

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:57 »
Quote from: "matron"
I have a chillie plant on the front room window sill (well, other people have flowers so why not) and it is doing very well. It has a lot of fruit on it and all nicely turning red so I am going to leave it as long as possible.

Got my eye on the Front room sill as well. (Mrs Sreb doesn't know it yet) yet) :wink: Haven't grown any chilli's this year, but with the successes I've had with Capsicums I'm going to try next year. It'll look nice amongst the flowers anyhow!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

matron

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 10:02 »
Quote from: "srebmob"

Got my eye on the Front room sill as well. (Mrs Sreb doesn't know it yet) yet) :wink: Haven't grown any chilli's this year, but with the successes I've had with Capsicums I'm going to try next year. It'll look nice amongst the flowers anyhow!

You may have to change your signature then Srebmob.
As I am the Mrs in our house they just do as they are told.  :lol:  :lol:

Bombers

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:05 »

You may have to change your signature then Srebmob.
As I am the Mrs in our house they just do as they are told.  :lol:  :lol:

They all start life on the Kitchen windowsill. So no change there :)
I wear the trousers in our house (quick look over my shoulder to see if Mrs Sreb's about) and I will comandeer (sp)that space! :wink:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Chillis over the winter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:51 »
They all start life on the Kitchen windowsill. So no change there  
I wear the trousers in our house (quick look over my shoulder to see if Mrs Sreb's about) and I will comandeer (sp)that space!

Hmm but shes got the green fingers  :tongue2:

Im going to overwinter my chillies on the GH, Ive got some seeds if it doesnt work.
Ive also got some hot patio that I can bring inside, as they are such pretty plants anyway.

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:17 »
Quote from: "peapod"

Pure beginner's luck   :oops:  :roll:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Chillis over the winter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 11:39 »
Quote from: "peapod"

Pure beginner's luck   :oops:  :roll:

Im hoping that wasnt why my swede went well!

Paula

Bombers

Chillis over the winter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 11:49 »
I was thinking the same about my BNS until I read sadgit's thread about his being bland  :cry:

wellingtons

I would also choose ...
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 14:26 »
... only the really healthy ones.  A vague hint of weariness or disease seems to reduce the chances of survival quite severely.

Kitchen windowsill or heated greenhouse would be my choice.

xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
Chillis - There not hot ???

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:08
by arugula
xx
chillis

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 09:43
by agapanthus
xx
Big Chillis

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:40
by backpain

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 35 queries.