do i get day old chicks or incubate own eggs??

• 13 Replies

karlooben

« on: October 09, 2008, 19:48 »
i am now considering maybe getting day old chicks or incubating eggs what do u reckon i should try .

i know a few ppl local to me that can help and one person i am going to see over the weekend breeds all his own birds { different breeds} he keeps his babies in a heated greenhouse, mum is liking the idea of having babies an seems ok for her green house to be used for the winter , but i dont know if i should try an deal with baby chicks or get 7 more ex batts ????? either way i know i will need to split my run an build a tempery now house .

help me make up my mind, :lol:  :lol:  please
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

WR1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 19:54 »
:scratch:     Well my opinion is get some eggies and incubate (spelling) them because  it is soooo fun and is a good expirience  :D
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

millymolymandy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 20:00 »
I have spent most of the summer hatching chicks, and  have loved every minute, the only problem is what to do with the  cockrels, I have ended up with loads and they have cost a fortune to feed.
would have been enough for a crumble!

Fran

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 20:01 »
one thing to consider very seriously is the possiblity of getting more boys than girls hatching! As you probably know already it can be hard to rehome boys and some have a really loud crow! :shock:

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 20:10 »
thats what i am worried about is getting any males . i would get into trouble if i had any on the allotment site  :shock:  :shock:  as i am surrounded by houses , although i doubt i will get any trouble from those in the cementry  { hehehe so sorry could not resist that }  :lol:  :lol:

3 sides of the site are houses an one is the cementry .

going to the rescue centre an getting 7 more girls seems just as good

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 20:40 »
Even if you buy day olds if they are not sex linked then it's hard to tell boys from girls anyway, day olds are fun I've done that before noisy little beggars too  :lol:  also you would have to weigh up the cost of an incubator making one or buying ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 20:45 »
i have been checking prices on ebay and other sites and yes they are quite pricing but that depends on how fussy u are i suppose ,  but i know quite a few ppl and i was going to ask around an see if i could borrow one for a while .  mum has told me that we have a heat lamp somewhere that we could use but the thought of ending up with cockerals is scary ......

agapanthus

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 21:01 »
I think I would go with day olds. Have spent so much time and money this year on hatching eggs (no offence intended Foxy!!!!!!!!)....I'm talking e-bay here......and the hatching rate has been dissappointing to say the least!!! There again you can only get certain breeds with day olds.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 21:08 »
what i also need to consider is the amount of free time i have as well to be able to look after them properly. i work full time although my hours are brillant { 7 am - 2.30 pm}  but i also have my other pets an the 2 allotments and a socail life , :lol: .
this is why i am looking to u guys for help on this as you have done this before and i am still a newbie  and you can help me make up my mind on what to do .

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 21:25 »
To incubate eggs is a lovely and exciting experience but then you have the risk of hatching cockerels ok if you can keep them but if you can't then you have a problem.

If you buy day old chicks at least they will be sexed.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 01:42 »
I've only hatched ducklings but I would imagine that day olds are just as much a timewaster. They really steal your life. All of a sudden you have done nothing but watch and play with them for 2 days (although maybe hatching them is worse for this :wink: ). Sexed chicks does remove the dilemma to a degree about what to do with the boys (although mistakes can be made so they should agree to replace / refund for any boys). If you hatch you have to be prepared for what to do with any males. It is hard to rehome boys so you need to be realistic. If you can't keep them they you have to accept that they might be heading for the pot (even if it is not yours). Currently having this dilemma with myself for next spring (even though I know I will have more ducklings :roll: )
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 05:46 »
There is no bigger joy than watching them pop out of the shell but if you must have hens I would go the ex-battery route. Now if you don't mind the cockerels going for food they are fairly easy to give away if they are a larger meat type breed. If you could find someone that would take them beforehand it would sure make the descision easier.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 09:34 »
We are lucky with our day olds because they are hybrids, the Amberlinks are feather sexed so out of 300 we only had 3 cockerels, but the Babcocks are colour sexed, so no cockerels at all.  They do take time though, as I'm always out in the brooder checking on their food water, heat light etc.

I'd like a go at hatching, but the cost of the incubator isn't worth it for me, so I'll stick with day olds!

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 09:39 »
I bought three day old chicks in June one a Light Sussex and the other two L/S X RIR for £5.30 all sexed and all had been vaccinated.

They are so friendly because I handled them so much. :lol:

xx
Incubate some eggs?

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 15:22
by babe
xx
Want to incubate some eggs

Started by teresac on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 08:46
by sorrel
xx
Eggs or day old chicks?

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 16:28
by joyfull
xx
Marking eggs and chicks

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:28
by gsc

Page created in 2.46 seconds with 28 queries.