Cheap Fruit,is it worth it?

• 22 Replies

Minty

• Experienced Member
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:09 »
We noticed a lot of cheap fruit earlier in the year at Aldi's and Iv' seen the post about Lidl's doing cheap bushes and I just wondered if anyone had put any of these plants in and had a good harvest?

I'm a bit dubious because we've had garden plants from Aldi's before and they've never done very well. :?

Knight Family

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:56 »
well we have done cheap clematis before now and they have been ok, i'll be getting some but I dont expect a good harvet off them next year.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:04 »
i bought from aldi (and also from poundland) some cheap rasps, along with gooseberries and currants.

I was very suprised. Some plants didnt grow at all, about 25%, but of those that did about 1/3 are going very well and have given me loads of fruits!!!

Totally recommend it.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:28 »
i think its the same as anywhere though, make sure you take your time selectibg good, healthy, strong looking plants. Too often people just pick up the first on the shelf, and there the ones that have bean mauled, knocked, etc

I bought two autumn rasps on the weekend as an 'impulse buy', it still took me half an hour to select them!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:29 »
I've never bought any from Aldi, I'm always a bit dubious as there is quite often no variety name and with rasp's it's important to prune at the right time and they are not always the cheapest option. J parkers have an offer for 30 rasp canes 10 early, 10 mid, 10 late, for £17.50 p&p 3.95 I think, so you would be hard pressed to beat that offer.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:13 »
i bought mine from j parkers, 25 autumn bliss canes for £13,  all but one have grown and produced fruit this year and i think the one that didn't got moved for some reason so it was my fault any way

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 14:29 »
Bought 3 apple trees from Lidl early in the year and we have had some fruit on each.  Did not expect to get any the first year so very lucky.  Will be getting red currant and black current this week.
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 16:14 »
I bought several 6 packs of strawberries from Aldi. each pack had 2 x honeyore 2x pegasus and 2 x symphony  ie 2 early 2 mid 2 late and they all did really well.  Would recommend.

garddwr

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 19:12 »
Is this it rich ?

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/Index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.standard&category_id=470&producttype_id=49300

What time should you plant them ?

Are they easy 2 grow and would you get fruit fisrt year ?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 20:13 »
Quote from: "garddwr"
Is this it rich ?

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/Index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.standard&category_id=470&producttype_id=49300

What time should you plant them ?

Are they easy 2 grow and would you get fruit fisrt year ?

Thats the ones  :D  they are very straight forward to grow you just and must prune them right, but that's easy it's knowing the variety and fruiting time thats counts.

Just prepare a bed about 2' wide and as long as you need 18" per plant so 10 plants need about 15' ish incl stakes
You will get some fruit next season but it's better for the canes if you don't let them  :(  but most of us do  :lol:

And you need to plant from about now onwards as long as the grounds not frozen your ok  :D

lincspoacher

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 21:00 »
Quote from: "digital_biscuit"
i bought from aldi (and also from poundland) some cheap rasps, along with gooseberries and currants.

I was very suprised. Some plants didnt grow at all, about 25%, but of those that did about 1/3 are going very well and have given me loads of fruits!!!

Totally recommend it.

so if 25% didnt grow, and 33% are doing well, what did the other 42% do ??

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 21:03 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"

Totally recommend it.

getting ready to produce fruit next year, putting in good root growth probably. Lot's of fruit 1st year is not always beneficial.  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 21:22 »

Totally recommend it.

I read it as 75% survived. Of this 75%, 33% are doing well. Therefore 25% of the originals are doing well.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

vegmandan

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 23:34 »

Lincspoacher why can't you ever post anything constructive instead of just being bl@@dy pedantic !!!! :evil:

Are you a closet mathematician.....or something else  :shock:

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 08:47 »
Firstly thanks Rich,that offer from JP's in good value for money.We went to Dobbies just the other side of Hinkley on sunday and they were charging £7 for one cane. :shock:

So from whats been posted I'm supposing it's a case of you pay's your money and you take's your chances but with it being so cheap it's worth the chance.

Cheers all for the feedback.  :D

xx
Cheap Fruit Trees

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 12:18
by gillie
xx
Cheap Fruit Trees

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 21:30
by jonewer
xx
Cheap fruit and veg stuff

Started by Limey153 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 20:05
by digalotty
xx
cheap fruit bushes at Poundstretcher

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 21:41
by londongardener

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 37 queries.