Asparagus bed ...

• 17 Replies

wellingtons

Asparagus bed ...
« on: October 06, 2008, 16:52 »
... OK ... I'm going for it.

All thoughts, advice, do this, don't do that's gratefully received.

Also any thoughts on best varieties, number of plants ... thank you, please!!

compostqueen

Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 18:23 »
So am I.  I have the spot in mind and am going to prepare with more than my usual slipshod effort  :D  I love sparragrass so can't wait  :D

crowndale

Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 18:26 »
I have two varieties, Gijnlim and crimson purple.  not actually tried them yet though coz only put them in this eyar!  But before you go ahead with this do what I didn't and make sure the bed is completely weed free!  I thought mine was but up popped the bind weed and every other perrenial kind of weed that lurks underground (except for mares tail don't have that one!).  its a reall bind now to weed coz I can't dig it over so will be battling weeds for the duration of the bed I suspect.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

compostqueen

Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 18:36 »
I know cos everyone says it  :D   the patch I have in mind has been under sheet mulch for four years since I got my plot and will be the last bit to be unfurled, so it should be weed free by now

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 18:40 »
i planted 6 crowns in a 3x6ft raised bed, made from old pallet wood, two planks high. Filled with compost, muck, and whatever. The weeds get in like a shot, but because its fairly loose soil there quite easy to get out. The whole bed is covered now with asparagus 'ferns' about 3ft high!

it did take a long time for them to all come through though and i did think for a while they wouldnt. And there just cheapos from wilkos.

Question now though, do i leave the ferns as is, or do they need cutting down or anything?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 18:48 »
Blimey, didn't realise that it could be that complicated.

I've got a bed of 39 crowns, grown from seed, which I stuck into unprepared soil in a panic, when the roots from the plantlets went through the bottom of the pots they were in & rooted into the tarmac drive they were standing on. So I can't really say the 'proper' way to do it.

The only thing I can say is to Zak - wait until the ferns go yellow & then chop them back.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 18:52 »
Quote from: "DD."

The only thing I can say is to Zak - wait until the ferns go yellow & then chop them back.

cheers for that DD, all quite green at moment. Do i chop them right down to the ground, or above/below it?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 19:31 »
About 1" - 2" above the ground.

wellingtons

Thank you for all the thoughts ...
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 10:05 »
... and advice.

39 crowns ... godfather's!!  You like asparagus then???  :lol:

How many years do you have to wait from planting seed to cutting?  An extra year or two I'm guessing.

Hampshire Hog

Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 10:45 »
Wellingtons Bob Flowerdew suggests wide spacing for best results. He suggests a good stride apart -depends on your legs but that sounds like at least 2-3 foot to me. (says wider the better). He also says 3 years from planting for first crop. Says lots of varieties are good but cull/kill any plants that don't thrive to give room for others. I have two beds one planted in 2007 another in 2006 so I hope to get a crop next year. One watch out at first the spears seem very thin but then they really thicken up if you weed and provide muck. Thought one bed was barren but slowly took off now main problem is stopping the wind damage to large ferns.

Cheers HH :)
Keep digging

DD.

• Global Moderator
Re: Thank you for all the thoughts ...
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:58 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
... and advice.

39 crowns ... godfather's!!  You like asparagus then???  :lol:

How many years do you have to wait from planting seed to cutting?  An extra year or two I'm guessing.

3 years, Wellies, long term project!

Bombers

Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 14:31 »
Or buy 1yr old crowns, then only 2 years wait, for 20 years+ harvesting 8)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 15:51 »
had mine in since march last year and I haven't seen a thing from them.... are they dead? they were 1 year crowns

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 16:03 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
had mine in since march last year and I haven't seen a thing from them.... are they dead? they were 1 year crowns

Mine went in this year in a trench and all sprouted at least one spear that became a fern so sounds like you may indeed have lost the lot
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

Trillium

Asparagus bed ...
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 19:17 »
give them until next spring to come up. They can be VERY slow to sprout even from crowns. If they aren't up by spring, then they likely didn't make it. I've had a few I thought were long gone only to suddenly find them growing.

HH, if you're having wind damage then place some tallish sticks all around the asparagus bed and run strong string between each of the sticks to basically fence in the fronds. This minimizes the breakage to fronds and keeps large ones from drooping over other plants.

Asaparagus likes lighter soil if possible - lots of sand and humus and they definitely like old manure but do add a bit of lime as asparagus likes slightly sweeter soil. I found that planting the crowns on top of a handful of mounded sand helped greatly with crown survival. They really do hate soggy soil and having their crowns sit in puddles. And yes, weeding regularly through the season is mandatory - they really can't cope with weeds.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus.........again

Started by Wavertree Red on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 16:27
by Wavertree Red

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 36 queries.