Calling all chilli experts - can anyone help please

• 14 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:39 »
Hi

We have grown chillies for the first time this year, Cayenne (hot) it says on the packet.  There are loads of them but just taking a long time to ripen.

Anyway they have started to ripen picked one nearly red and another green - waited for them to ripen completely - wanted to use them.

Cut it up and tried it - no heat whatsoever - none, nada, zilch.

Does anyone know why?  I know they are not meant to be the hottest ones you can grow but no heat at all I just don't get it.

Could it be the lack of sun - I know I am grabbing at straws - does anyone have any ideas?

Any suggestions for next year a good hot chilli that grows reasonably easily?

cheers

willnbirdie

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:56 »
I'm no expert but the individual chillies can vary from one pod to another
so don't despair  :D  I've grown cayenne before and they were fine, not the hottest though as you say

I've grown a very hot one this year and it's ripening in the greenhouse. Some on the plot, in a cobbled up frame were going black, so I put them in a grow house (plastic zip up job) and I hope they're going to ripen  :(   They are incendiary, only tried one unripe one  :shock:  It's called Lemon Drop and it's 9 out of 10 on the chilli Richter scale  :shock:  The plants are smothered and if they all ripen I will be very happy. I fear though that once dried they will be even hotter  :shock:  Once ripen they reckon they taste distinctly lemony.  Hope so  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:58 »
You are right about lemon drop being prolific!!!  I've got loads on my plants, but still green, wish they'd hurry up!!!!

Yabba

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 10:00 »
I've got lemon drop for next year :D

How big do the plants get ( width / height ) ?

¥

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:00 »
Have you tasted one yet GA  :?:

Loads of mine are still green but my greenhouse isn't in full sun (unfortuntately it's between buildings  :( )

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 13:04 »
Cayenne aren't really hot - they're just advertised as such in case  Joe public complains.

Try a larger slice from higher up towards the shoulder of the pepper - Good on Pizza either way  :D  Lack of heat seems to be a common problem this year.

Lemon Drop / Hot Lemon - Love these, 100s on my plants at the moment still all green though.   :cry:  Grew mine in a builders bucket last year plant was around 5ft tall and 3ft spread, made tubs and tubs of powder with them. Great for fish, chicken, chocolate and vodka.  Not so good with heavy red meat as the lemon taste is lost and they dont carry the heat of some of the other peppers.

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 14:11 »
Quote from: "Lardman"
Grew mine in a builders bucket last year plant was around 5ft tall and 3ft spread

Hmmm, guess I need to go find a building site :roll:

¥

gobs

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 21:44 »
Quote from: "Yabba"
Quote from: "Lardman"
Grew mine in a builders bucket last year plant was around 5ft tall and 3ft spread

Hmmm, guess I need to go find a building site :roll:

¥

:lol:  :lol:

Chillies will accommodate well to the size of growing space you give them. 8)

The heat is a bit of a mistery as to our current knowledge. The same variety produces completely different heat in diff climates and the same variety in the same field next to each other can differ in heat a lot and - as CQ says fruits on the same plant differ in heat a lot. We just don''t bluudy know. :shock:

I do not overfeed or over water, have not not had any probs yet. Will do one day, I'm sure. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:32 »
I have somewhere in my chaotic organized mess at home a reason for the lack of heat in certain climate zones, you can help the production of heat by not watering them and causing stress, if you have been watering them daily they are probably as happy as pigs in brown smelly stuff, so stress them, also if you want to ripen them quicker, cut the branch and hang them for a few days and they will ripen.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34 »
it is due to the bad summer we have had.. mine are the same. Even my Orange Habs have been the same. Brought a few into the kitchen and after a few weeks the heat and taste has come into the fruits.

I have some bright red Cayenne with no heat and some green with a fair bit of heat...... roll on next year and some warmth and sun for all our chillies.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 21:35 »
my Lemon drops are in smallish pots, most of them are in 5 inch ones and doing well. I have one plant in a 7" clay pot and that has made the biggest plant but it's still not very big, only about a 18" maxiumum, not very wide either, only about a foot. The ones in the 5" pots have made compact plants only about a foot tall I'd say

FCG

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 22:00 »
Smilydog could you please tell us how big the containers are you're growing them in? CQ could you do the opposite and tell us your yeild? I'm torn between growing chillies next year or more garlic.

FCG

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 18:51 »
Thanks smiley dog. Someone sent me fish pepper and cayenne seeds today... i've forgotton who i asked from for from... eep. Anyone who did i'll send you something in return if you let me know who you are! Nice envelope.

wellingtons

I think it's a good idea to grow ...
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 10:41 »
... a few different chillies sometimes it's good to have a few different strengths for different things ... salads, thai food, indian.

Cayenne are really quite mild, if you're a keen chilli fan, but if you use them in salads, they have a bit of a bite.  If you dry them and then use them you will find that ups the heat.

At the moment I have Black Pearl, Numex Twilight, Prairie Fire, Jalapeno and one that I don't have the name of it, but it's enough to blow your hat off.

TECC2009

• http://www.theenglishchillicompany.com
Good seeds to start out with
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:48 »
African birdseye chillis are very easy to grow and fiery little devils too....
Alex

chilli seeds for sale

xx
Calling Onion Experts..what's this ??

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 23:32
by peterjf
xx
Calling all celery experts!

Started by Puff on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 13:32
by Puff
xx
Calling the Pea experts. DD/Aunt Sally + others.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 18:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
Oops, ... I've ... done it again! (Calling all bean experts!)

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:27
by woodburner

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 36 queries.