Cordon / Espalier growing

• 13 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« on: October 04, 2008, 19:55 »
Does anyone grow fruit as cordons or espaliers? Im planning on doing to as part of my fruit and nut hedge :D

I need some advice though -

How high should the top wire be from the ground?
How far apart should the support wires be from each other?
How do i best select trees to grow this way?
What varieties work best? im looking at a nice red apple, a pair, maybe even a peach (though no idea where to get a peach tree from!) I appreciate i may need a couple of each as pollination partners.

How low would the lowest branches be trained? could i grow soft fruit in the lower half of the cordon and train the firm fruit higher up?

Ive been looking in the garden centers today for ideas. Didnt intend buying anything but saw some autumn raspberries so got two of those, and a blackberry :D

Trees seem to start around the £25 mark, so i'd like to make sure i get suitable varieties for my investment.

My cordon will eventually replace a laylandii hedge (cant stick them!) and hopefully provide an effective and attractive boundary 'hedge' and fresh fruit for me and my neighbour!

i cant seem to find any books dedicated to this kind of growing anywhere
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

mfconway

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 20:44 »
can some one please help Zak as this will also help me as I am too trying to grow trees like this
thank you  (I know some of you will have all the answers)

FCG

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 20:55 »
No idea, but i do know a member on here who has one grown like this. Wondering why she hasn't posted yet.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 21:06 »
I recommend the The Fruit Expert by Hessayon.  Lots of useul info on there about espaliers, fans, cordons stepovers etc etc.  Also about best rootstock to use for different types of fruit.
 I don't know how up to date it is though wrt all the different types of varieties around today.  The expert series can sometimes be picked up second hand at big DIY stores.  Hope this helps :)
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 21:54 »
My Bro' used to grow his that way, and they where quite prolific fruiters, it's more about getting the right rootstock , nothing too vigorous or too dwarfing.
I've got a book some where but I can't find it  :roll:  I'll have a better look in the morning  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

nilly71

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 20:48 »
I am going to use the fruit trees and bushes as boundrys as well.

I was thinking of these..Here

Have you thought about family trees, they have upto 6 different apples or pears on one tree.

Neil

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 20:58 »
didnt know families could be cordon trained. They do look good, since there are two varieties or more per tree, are they effectively self fertile?

my biggest problem with the whole idea is that of the current conifer borders, they are part mine and part neighbours, so i will have to persuade the neighbours to let me take them down (probably bit by bit as the cordons/espaliers grow)

but who could say no to all that free fruit!

gobs

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 21:18 »
Not to be a spoil joy, Zak, but I would not plant any fruit trees whilst the conifer hedge is up and running.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Auntie Rain

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 21:28 »
ideally i wouldnt, and certainly any fruit that gets planted will have the conifers nearby removed, but its something i will have to do slowly, bit by bit. Im starting down the bottom end of the garden (which is my plot anyway) where its less noticable. On one side all the conifers are mine anyway so im slowly 'dismantling' them.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 21:33 »
Quote from: "Auntie Rain"
Try these links for inspiration.....

http://agutie.homestead.com/files/world_news_map/fence_garden_espalier.htm

http://www.scenicnursery.com/archives/002422.html

some nice designs there!

I was thinking of a more 'trident' or 'fork' design, 2 or three tiers, trained out horizontal a way and then back vertical, perhaps with a 'stepover' low growing tier across the bottom

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 21:51 »
Zak have you had any luck yet with finding cordon growing information ?? I've found my old RHS notes on it, I could scan and email if you want ?

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 04:38 »
Can I ask what else you have planned for your fruit & nut hedge? We've just had our conifers removed and hope to do the same thing, espaliered pear with raspberries/blackberries underneath/infront and a hazel....  

We were thinking of filling in the gaps while they grow with runner beans or similar annual climbers.

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 06:42 »
hello Zak, The best book I have ever seen on this type of thing, was the RHS book of pruning. If you don't have any joy with other information, give me a PM.......... :D

xx
growing a fig espalier?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 11:23
by Grubbypaws
question
Growing apples & pears, which variety for cordon?

Started by xt600 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 19:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
Espalier - without a wall...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 20:50
by Junie
xx
Espalier cherry

Started by dugless on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 16:23
by aqua

Page created in 0.681 seconds with 37 queries.