egg numbers - a drastic drop ?

• 12 Replies

threeranger

« on: October 03, 2008, 12:41 »
Hello folks,

We have 3 rescued freerangers (18 months old). They are warrens and so far have laid the following:

Week 1 - 13 eggs
Week 2 - 13 eggs
Week 3 - 12 eggs

We have had at least 1 egg a day, often 2 or 3. So quite a healthy amount there....

However 5 days into week 4 and we have had 1 egg (that was on monday). We can put it down to cold weather (in derbyshire by the way) starting to set in.......but this seems like they have gone on strike rather than slowly lowering production for winter ?

No signs of mites, not too much pecking witnessed, poos are generally black and white, not runny. Not been moved recently, no signs of foxes, all seem healthy, fluffy and eating well.

The only thing we noticed is when we switched to organic layers pellets, from non-organic, they seem to prefer the non-organic. We are trying not to give too many treats, corn etc so that they eat the pellets (take away the choice) they eat them eventually, but very slow on the uptake.

So we presume it's the weather - but does the drop in egg production set in this quick ? And is it a complete shutdown for a while ?

Any thoughts most appreciated :-)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:49 »
how did you do the switch in pellets? a straight swap, or did you vary the ratio over a week or so?

its always best when changing a food to do it bit by bit, changing the ratio each refill a little more in favour of the new food until there completely changed over.

That said, i wouldnt have thought it would have upset them too much
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

threeranger

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 13:09 »
It was a straight swap as we ran out of the previous pellets before getting the new stuff.

Before they came to us they were with an animal rescue place for a couple of months, and they fed them the organic type...so it's a switch back really.

Thanks for your thoughts Zak.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 13:18 »
Mine have gone on strike while moulting (about time they started up again!)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 15:31 »
I was wondering if they were moulting. They won't lay for a while if they are.

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 18:30 »
mie have gone from 18 eggs a day down to 10 in the past 3 days, i put it down to the cold, not bothered as we had far too many eggs anyway.

threeranger

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 18:43 »
Thanks for the responses so far.....

It doesn't look like they are moulting, just the occasional feather around in the run. One of them looked like she had been when she arrived, but they are all looking fluffy right now.

Maybe they are about to start moulting....

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 19:31 »
Some of the chickens have stopped laying but for the last few days it has been so cold and wet that I have taken to giving chickens some extra's - veg peelings boiled up with cornmeal and given warm, warm boiled rice, warm mashed potato, what has surprised me is that the eggs are bigger, just a few grams but enough for me to start weighing them.  Has  anyone else done or noticed this?
janet

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 22:34 »
Hi one of my chickens has laid 2 90gm eggs this week we had them today and they were both double yolkers she has laid doubles before but they weren't this big.
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 08:02 »
We have ten chooks six which are adult and four chicks.

None of the adults are laying two that are pensioners and the others either in moult just finished moulting and then the four chicks that are only 14wks old.

With the nights drawing in there isn’t much chance of any either……………me thinks!

No eggs for two weeks now.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 09:52 »
I even had a dream last night that my girls had started laying again. It was a big white one so I thought it must be the Appleyard. Was quite excited when I went down to check this morning.  And Nothing   :cry:

Think I'm starting to obsess a little but its TWO months now!

EggBound

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 10:31 »
One of my chooks laid her first egg yesterday - we were so excited.  I thought it might be too late in the year and I wouldn't see an egg til Spring.  Anyway - just checked the nest box and she's laid another one!  Once they start is that it?  I expected it to be a bit more ad hoc at the beginning, wasn't expecting to see another today. :)

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 23:27 »
Our 10 girls were giving us 8 or 9 eggs a day up to last week then we had rain so they went on strike.  We got back to 5 eggs one day, then we got the new hens- so they went on strike again! Thursday we had 1 egg, Friday 6 and today 5  so a bit better.  Just cos we had managed to get folk to start buying the eggs instead of me giving them away!!  Neighbours cousin wants 2 dozen for tomorrow (we have 1 dozen) and a neighbour wants a dozen too, he will have to wait till Tuesday or Wednesday for his eggs!  That is if they carry on laying :roll:
Pamela

xx
Reducing numbers

Started by gracie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 23:15
by gracie
xx
safety in numbers

Started by southcroft on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 10:17
by New shoot

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 36 queries.