feeding questions

• 4 Replies

ceri green

• Experienced Member
feeding questions
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:38 »
(probably) some daft questions....perhaps some of you lovely people out there can tell me what YOU do?

a) Do you mix the grit with the feed? or give it seperately? or some of each? if you give it seperately, do the chooks eat it automatically when they need it, and how do they know they should ( cos i dint suppose its very tatsy)?

b) how do you actually suspend a cabbage securely so that the first pecks dont pull it down? do you thread the string right through the middle and what do you use to make a hole big enough to thread through?

Ceri  :)

ceri green

• Experienced Member
feeding questions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:44 »
just been reading some of the other threads and got another question!
apple cider vinegar - is this something that should only be given occasionally or is it ok for them to have it all the time?
if occasionally, then how frequently and for what duration? Also should all other sources of water be withdrawn for the period of admistration?

there will probably be other questions aswell............... :lol:

Bodger

feeding questions
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:46 »
Grit wise, you can do either but having it in a fixed container is probably better.

Cabbages that you've grown yourself will have a root that you can tie it up with. The same with caulis and sprouts. :D

poultrygeist

feeding questions
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:50 »
Hi ceri.

We give grit/shell separately in a container protected from rain. They know to help themselves, but no idea how they know. Free-ranging birds obviously pick up grit as they go, so it's quite clever of them really :)

I hang cabbages using a small, blunt hook on a shoelace, which seems to keep it hanging for longer. But if two or more grab at it, it can still be pulled down :roll:

Can't help with ACV as we haven't got any.

Rob 8)

Vember

feeding questions
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:52 »
Hi Ceri

I have dishes with Grit & dishes with Oyster shell dotted about the place, my birds free range.
They go to the dishes as an when they want they must know they need it as I see mine regularly going to the dishes and having a peck :D

I can't really help on the cabbage question other than poke a knitting needle with some string attached pull it right through and see if that works :?

I have ACV in handy but only give if I feel it's needed ie some one under the weather got a snuffle etc...

Sarah :D

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Feeding

Started by Des C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 15:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
feeding

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 21:15
by joyfull
xx
Hen feeding

Started by babradburn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 17:59
by compostqueen

Page created in 1.224 seconds with 36 queries.