Help!!! More chickens or not?

• 32 Replies

raeburg

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 09:53 »
Quote from: "Roughlee Handled"
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I'd not get them.  They are more hard work than your new girls......................

I TOTALLY disagree. VOCALLY AND LOUDLY.

THE EX BATTS ARE EASY

Completely and utterly agree RH.  My ex-batts are easy to deal with (apply louse powder dead easy - my mum's pure breeds you can never catch) and friendly creature.  Very nosey and the improvement in 2 months has been astounding.  My silkies are also easy going and friendly, but have had scaly leg and one lays thin shelled eggs no matter what (oystershell grit, yoghurt, calcium supplement etc).  

I'm getting between 6 and 8 eggs a day from the batts (8 of them) and when I've dismantled and rebuilt the hen house I found I will get some more of them (it's 7 feet by 5 feet and on cast iron wheels).  

LONG LIVE EX_BATTS

woodburner

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 12:32 »
I'm not usually brave enough to voice my opinion on rehoming ex-bats, but as someone else has already braved the elements and been shot down in flames for it, I should add my voice.

If you want to stop battery farming, don't rehome exbats.*

Do buy eggs from a local supplier that you know looks after their birds.
Do keep your own hens.
Do avoid products that contain simply 'egg' as it will be from caged hens.
Do sell your surplus eggs to friends and neighbours, especially those that would otherwise buy 'caged eggs'.
Do encourage others to do the same.

*Unless you get just the few that you want direct from a farm that looks after it's stock well enough that they will let you in, or they are the only hens that you can get for some reason.
It costs the farmers to dispose of their birds. By rehoming a few individually you won't be making much difference to him, but if you are helping him dispose of a whole barnful, you are saving him a small fortune. Pay him for his troubles/fuel and he's laughing.

/me ducks and runs for cover.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 12:45 »
Personaly I always did the below
Do buy eggs from a local supplier that you know looks after their birds.
Do keep your own hens.
Do avoid products that contain simply 'egg' as it will be from caged hens.
Do sell your surplus eggs to friends and neighbours, especially those that would otherwise buy 'caged eggs'.
Do encourage others to do the same.

But in the mean time, "till hell freezes over" the farmers will replace the uneconomic birds.  I for one feel that I would rather help a few birds become chickens.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

raeburg

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 16:46 »
Sorry if I came across as flaming.  I already buy conciencously (sorry about spelling) and encourage others to do so.  I sell and give away any surplus eggs from my girls who would already be catfood by now.  I only buy free range meat products (at great expense compared to the £1.99 for a whole chicken).

I just want to make the point that my hens are no more trouble or difficult than one bought at POL (other than they looked awful to start with).  They have adjusted to allotment life very easily and are very rewarding creatures to keep.
OK I'll get off my soapbox now :)

Knight Family

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 18:52 »
Blinking heck so much emotion, sorry if i rocked the boat. I would agree that 5 to 8 birds wont be that much extra work, and I totaly hate Battery farming but its not the chickens fault but the consumer.

You have to remember that anyone who buys cheap eggs etc is making the market for the farmers who need to do it for the shops. I believe in rescueing the birds as its not there fault. So I decuded that were getting an extra 3 birds and I hope they live well. (wont be getting any more).

thanks for the points good and bad, and its helped me make my mind up. I also hope it may make other people think.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

too many girls

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 20:43 »
I am very disapointed on all the threads on here that advise people against re homing ex batts, ok, we can't change the world, but with a little effort we can change what happens to birds that have been incarcerated (kept in cages) and that have passed their peak, battery egg farming will be phased out, until then all we can do is help the birds that are coming out of battery farming, i for one applaud everyone that has rehomed an ex bat, and i will continue to do so, Aunt Sally's right in saying ex batts are not for everyone, but if you love your chooks, you'll love your ex batts or ex barns just as much.

too many girls

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 20:59 »
Hi, my names Sam, ( Sam and his ducks ) i agree with my mum, i've read all the posts, where will it end? we can't stop ducks being bred for fois gras (i've seen the video on u tube) i love the hens, they are great, go get ex batts, you won't be disapointed. love Sam, (and his ducks).

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 21:15 »
Hi Sam and his Ducks :lol:

Always nice to have another Duckie about 8)

Get your own sign in, Us Duckies need all the help we can get keeping the Chook lot in line :wink:

Kate and her Ducks :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 21:17 »
If I had a bit of land I'd  have loads of ex-batts the majority of which still go into pet food.  But I'm comfortable looking after chooks.  

Newbie chook owners, often townies or lottie holders who have never had experience of more than cats or dogs need what you call in pony club terms bomb proof hens first time round.  

People who are used to animals, live in the country, are perhaps used to cows, horses, sheep, have no idea what the panic is like when faced with a sick pathetic bird and you have no idea what to do to help it.  Vets bills are high and vets who can treat chickens are rarer than hens teeth.  

My advice still is if you don't feel really confident handling animals and treating their ailments and injuries, have done your homework on the things that they need and more importantly can go wrong; play safe first time  round.  Get some good quality birds from a supplier who has a reputation to keep,  not ex-batts or birds of doubtful origin from an auction.  When you gain a little experience then go whichever way your conscience takes you !

You'll always be keeping hens then not giving up because of bad experiences  :(

I do speak from experience here.  I don't have enough space for more than two birds in my little garden so I'm not permitted battery girls by the BHWT  but I have many friends who have them and I've often have to help and advise them.

too many girls

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 21:46 »
each to their own Aunt Sally.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 22:41 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
each to their own Aunt Sally.

That's quite right TMG.  Each to their own !  and I like to encourage sucessful hen keeping.  Wish I could keep as many as we had when I was a child.  Rescues are very heart rending (for me anyway).  Why not cantact your local BHWT and offer your services at local recues.

too many girls

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 22:53 »
i have offered my services, plus our 40 acre farm, (as a pick up point) also included my dad's landrover for transport, unfortunatley they never got back to me...............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 22:55 »
Oh shame  :cry:

Try again, they are very busy   :!:

too many girls

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 22:58 »
think we are a bit off the beaten track for their services, didn't actually tell daddy about offering his landrover (he would have agreed anyway)  after all i can only get 60 in a renault Megane.....................

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 23:02 »
If they can't use your place you can always go to one of the rescues to help.  There's a lot of birds to move and be checked for health problems  and box up for new owners. They bring their own boxes so it can be a bit of a rush  :shock:

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Which chickens?

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 21:21
by Foxy

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 36 queries.