« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 00:02 »
Hi Shelle

A big

WELCOME

to you  :D

beansticks

Newbie to Veg growing
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 07:54 »
HI SHELLE and WELCOME,you will find all the advice you need here,make yourself a list of questions and post them a couple at a time,then you will not get swamped with too much info.

Annie

Newbie to Veg growing
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 09:33 »
Hello Shelle,you don`t need a greenhouse to grow as quite a lot of things can be sewn directly into the soil when it gets warmer and you can start stuff in pots trays on window sills.The main thing is to enjoy it.

Shelle

Newbie to Veg growing
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 18:42 »
Havent managed to get outside tonight due to central heating boiler packed in yesterday and today, and I am too cold!!  Brand new boiler installed in November last year and they cant figure out what is wrong :(   Now waiting for a rep from the manufacturer to come round tomorrow to see if they can fix.  Problem is they say is that it is so new that spare parts do not exist yet!!

Back to gardening, I looked at the link for the square foot garden, liked the look of that.  Presumably I could translate that idea onto soil as I do have a plot with soil there already.  That way I could have a few squares for each veg until I get the hang of it?

Once I have warmed up again, will post more re soil details.  Think next thing I need to do is work out for definate the veg, and then find out what needs to be planted first and go from there.  Sound about right?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Newbie to Veg growing
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 19:20 »
Hi Shelle bad news about your boiler, we've just had one put in last week, but the sparky has not turned up yet so the damn thing is on constantly unless I turn it off at the plug. :x

As for square foot gardening I bought the book and it works well in open ground, better in someways cause beds can dry out fast. Onions did really well and grew the best carrots I ever have.  beetroot a doddle.

Just one question your boiler not an "ideal" one is it !
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Shelle

Newbie to Veg growing
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 20:12 »
Richyrich can we have some of your heat  :D   Just would like hot water for a shower really to wash my hair!  Its a baxi combination boiler.

Thanks for input re square foot idea on existing soil.  Think I will settle for that idea.  Once I get things sorted out will set down some questions, and list priorities etc as to what goes first.

Impressed with this website by the way, and the friendliness of you all  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
Newbie to Veg growing
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 20:41 »
Welcome to the site Shelle.  I grew veg for the first time last year and made every mistake that the first-timer could make.  I hope to do better year on year and learn from my mistakes as well as taking advice from the very knowledgeable folks on here.

I bought loads of books and scoured the internet for information and then felt completely overwhelmed by all the things you seemed to need to know.  

Don't worry too much, plant the things you really enjoy eating and learn from your mistakes.  Crop rotation, successional planting, companion planting etc are all good, but don't worry too much this year.  Get a feel for what grows well and what doesn't.
Cheese makes everything better.

Annie

Newbie to Veg growing
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 20:46 »
The other nice thing about this site is that you can crow about the things that grow well and we`ll congratulate you and with things that don`t do well  u won`t be alone.

question
Newbie on growing chillies!!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 14:28
by stentman
xx
re Newbie to vegetable growing

Started by dadshelper on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 18:26
by dadshelper
xx
Newbie/Growing in a Rented Property

Started by countryrabbit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2006, 12:35
by Oliver
question
Newbie question on growing potatoes

Started by moretvicar on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 22:14
by Ice

Page created in 1.973 seconds with 36 queries.