Getting it right

• 8 Replies

FRUITFULL

Getting it right
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:38 »
We are finally clearing the ground in our garden for the chicken home (dont think we will get them now until next year)i am getting very nervous about getting their home right.
We have bought a wood wendy house which we will adapt with nest boxes and perch but its the run thats worrying me.
Would it be ok to make the run about 5ft tall without a roof.We would put part of a roof to shelter from rain but the rest open.
We will be putting the girls securly to bed every night but do they need to be in a fox proof run in the day time too?
I have been reading on here how important access and ease of cleaning must be etc so thought rather than going in the run army crawling i could stand up.The run is going to be about 12ft x 12ft.
Also if the girls are tucked up safe at night could we use chicken wire for the run?
Sorry for these questions and this is just the start as when we do get the girls i will be an extremly anxious mum.
Thanks to you all we will have support.

Foxy

Getting it right
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45 »
Hi there in answer to your questions firstly the idea of using a wendy house is fab -I use one and its worked really well as is very solid. I have raised it about a foot of the ground in order to deter vermin nesting or burrowing underneath. With regard to the run it probably would be wise to use galvanised wire as a fox can chew through simple chicken wire as well as being more durable. Also would cover the top as 5foot would be easy for a fox to climb over and they are around during the day. (I expect Rob will along soon to give you the technical info re: chicken wire and stuff!)
Alternatively you could invest in electrified poultry netting?
Good luck and dont forget the golden rule of lots of piccies! :D

FRUITFULL

Getting it right
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:29 »
Thanks for replying foxy.
Iwas thinking of raising the wendy house so there is more space under for the girls but wondered if its difficult to get under and clean.
At the moment the ground is earth in the run area should we slab all or half of it or even concrete the whole area?

poultrygeist

Getting it right
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:57 »
{fanfare sounds} ...I am here !!

Fox proof = 19g which is approx 1mm thick wire. This is usually welded mesh (square) but I have seen hex chicken wire quoted as this guage.
But then it would prob cost the same.
I know a lot of people do use chicken wire and risk it if they can supervise their hens during the day but then foxes also get daring and wait for your back to be turned.

Our run is mostly welded mesh, but part of it is chicken wire over about 3ft. They are in the back garden but we accept the risk. The ducks would see any fox off I think  :roll:

To be truly fox proof, you'd need about 6ft high, with the top 6"-12" angled outward as per security fences and the bottom 9-12" buried, and/or a skirt round the bottom edge or slabs.

And even then, they may find a way in.

Is your main problem budget ? (ours was/is).

Rob 8)

Foxy

Getting it right
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:53 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
{fanfare sounds} ...I am here !!

Rob 8)

ummmm looking something like this???? :lol:  :lol: (sorry fruitful -couldn't resist!!!! :lol: )

poultrygeist

Getting it right
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 12:56 »
Damn!!

Those paparazzi get everywhere ! :?

Maybe I should try Donald duck next time  :roll:

Rob 8)

FRUITFULL

Getting it right
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 17:02 »
Hi im back,just had to pick my Sons partner up from hospital as she broke her arm badly yesterday.My son had left their ferret to roam the house and she (slinky) went missing.We found her cuddled up in a hot water bottle cover fast asleep.
Back to the run....My problem there is (many problems at the moment but this is minor)the run is going to be outside the kitchen on a raised piece of ground 4ft up behind that it steps up another 4ft so the area is an island 12ft x 12ft I was sort of hoping to use the boundry fence as one side,just add 1ft on the 4ft bit and build the front and remaining side.But if foxes will seek and find in the day time it will have to have a roof (OH is 6ft 7 so he wont be wandering round the run!)
I didnt want it looking like a huge bird avery but i guess if they are having that size run rather than an ark type and i want to get in there it will have to be a big cube,is that right as i dont want a blood bath?
Also money is a bit tight as i have just been made redundant.

poultrygeist

Getting it right
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 17:35 »
Your ideal is welded mesh sides with buried bottom. Corrugated plastic as a roof all over to keep foxes and rain out. A dry run is a happy run (not smelly/muddy).

The compromise we have is welded mesh all round up to 3'. Mostly the same above but some chicken wire. Slabs all round bottom edge.
We have 2 sheets of plastic over part of the run and a piece of polythene sheet over another part. the rest has Flimsy nylon netting over to keep birds out.
We hope to buy some more plastic roofing for the rest before Winter but, like yourself, the budget isn't elastic :)
I think the message is that you can make a move towards fox-resistance but unless you throw a couple of hundred at it, you'll always have weaknesses.

Rob 8)

FRUITFULL

Getting it right
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 18:12 »
Great thanks for info,i have it clear in my head now for the run.Iknow how to adapt the wendy house thats ok.So the floor,should we concrete the whole lot or half leave earth.We have balast and a cement mixer etc?

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 36 queries.