• 30 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Red Mites - attraction factors?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 22:30 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
just been reading this research abstract

http://scienceandresearch.homeoffice.gov.uk/animal-research/publications-and-reference/001-abstracts/abstracts-2005/nov/immunisation-of-domestic-red-fow?view=Html

seems theres work in progress for a vaccine, not sure how that would stop the mites biting, but maybe more likely reduce any harmfull effects.

That looks like very interesting work Zak !

They would use concealed antigens - ones from organs inside the mites - to inoculate the birds.  The birds would then produce antibodies to these in their blood and when the red mite sucks their blood the antibodies would kill them.  

It's going to be a cost benefit decision for poultry farmers I'd say.  If it's more expensive to inoculate the birds than the cost of chemical treatment of hen houses they won't do it !

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 22:36 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
just been reading this research abstract

http://scienceandresearch.homeoffice.gov.uk/animal-research/publications-and-reference/001-abstracts/abstracts-2005/nov/immunisation-of-domestic-red-fow?view=Html

seems theres work in progress for a vaccine, not sure how that would stop the mites biting, but maybe more likely reduce any harmfull effects.

That looks like very interesting work Zak !

They would use concealed antigens - ones from organs inside the mites - to inoculate the birds.  The birds would then produce antibodies to these in their blood and when the red mite sucks their blood the antibodies would kill them.  

It's going to be a cost benefit decision for poultry farmers I'd say.  If it's more expensive to inoculate the birds than the cost of chemical treatment of hen houses they won't do it !

of course, that makes sense. I can see that would work. But like you say it will need to cost less than the chemical treatments
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 22:59 »
....or just use poultry shield and red mite powder  :roll:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 00:41 »
im happy to report that i have now been red mite free for over 3 weeks.

but did notice when it was at its worst, everytime i ventured near the coop to spray it, they would come out in droves, i had assumed it was my body heat. and this was in broad daylight.

i dont know if what i did worked. but i removed the chickens from the area of their coop. sprayed with poultry shield daily, and lots of dusting with diatom.

by removing the chooks i hope ive broken their breeding cycle as well as nuking the little *****.

the girls (and tufty my fella) are now back in their house, looking fantastic, laying well.

and so far not seen one for ages.

poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 10:23 »
They're forecasting a mild, dry winter, which won't help. A few good sub-zero frosts might help. :?

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 10:43 »
Well done Babe :D

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 11:36 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
....or just use poultry shield and red mite powder  :roll:

thats just it, PG, if a vaccine is expensive it may well be cheaper to just keep spraying.  The bulk volume of vaccine produced would need to bring the cost down enough to make it economic

that abstract was from 2005, i'll try and search for any updates, or see if i can get the whole paper from somewhere

poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 11:51 »
It may be that you discover a method of attracting them. I still think it's a possible way round it all.

I suggested months ago feeding foxes to almost domesticate them and make it easier than ripping through fences. They would keep away other foxes and get some easy feed. It was pointed out that their instinct would still mean they would kill chickens but I suspect red mites are not so intelligent  :)
Give them an iresistable source with the right signals and they should come running. Then find a way of trappign and killing. Maybe a solvent ?

Rob 8)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 11:57 »
no, dont think they would be as intelegent! a solvent or surfactant should strip the wax from them and dessicate them, or something to disrupt their exoskellington.

Getting them into a tube using a heat source at one end should be easy enough

they must have a signal they use between themselves for mating, that would be the best to discover. Find that pheromone and not only will it trap them but instantly end the breeding cycle. (this being how moth/fly traps work)

the dificulty is in finding that pheromone!

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 19:16 »
ok, its dusk. The girls are locked outside for a while (my gawd they not 'arf complaining! :tongue2: )

the vapouriser is in the house and warming up. Im going to check for mites just after dark, going to have a while bat watching and listening first

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 14:18 »
RESULT - INCONCLUSIVE :(

loads of the little s*$s came out, mostly quite close to the heat source, but its not possible to say whether they would have come out in those numbers anyway just due to the dark. Couldnt see if they were making their way towards the heat, as it was positioned in the middle of the floor, which happens to be well coated with mite powder and diatom, so they probably would have to have been desperate to cross that :lol:

noticed though, that the diatom says it can be mixed with water and painted on, to give a thin even layer. As the red mite repellant concentrate also mixes 1:20 with water, has anyone tried combining the two, making an anti-mite paint?

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 15:47 »
Just reading through this post and...Daisy,  :shock: your vet mustn't like hens...poor girlies.. lights on/off, on/off...you might get rid of the mites but your girls might go on strike as well!!

I rarely see any red mites in my henhouses as I spray with Poultryshield every week or so and dust out with Diatom weekly when they're cleaned out. (Wanted to put a smilie here...one with a little halo but there isn't one!!!)  Anyway this regime seems to work, I think the key word is "vigilance"...just because you don't see the little B...... for a while, doesn't mean there aren't a few lurking, so I always behave as if they're there and the Diatom will slowleee dessicate their 'orrid little bodies, Tee-hee  :lol:

If only everything else in life was as simple!  :wink:

Judi

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 15:55 »
" the price of freedom is eternal vigilance ", W.Churchill :D

Daisycow

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 20:47 »
Ooops, I dont think I was clear, take the birds out!! They would not be happy!  :x  :D Let them sleep elsewhere if you can, ie different coop temporarily.

Foxy

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 09:49 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
Just reading through this post and...Daisy,  :shock: your vet mustn't like hens...poor girlies.. lights on/off, on/off...you might get rid of the mites but your girls might go on strike as well!!

I rarely see any red mites in my henhouses as I spray with Poultryshield every week or so and dust out with Diatom weekly when they're cleaned out. (Wanted to put a smilie here...one with a little halo but there isn't one!!!)  Anyway this regime seems to work, I think the key word is "vigilance"...just because you don't see the little B...... for a while, doesn't mean there aren't a few lurking, so I always behave as if they're there and the Diatom will slowleee dessicate their 'orrid little bodies, Tee-hee  :lol:

If only everything else in life was as simple!  :wink:

Judi

There you are! just for you for being so good! :lol:

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
Leg Mites

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 08:03
by Jo57
xx
mites

Started by sundancejim on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 20:45
by ste23
xx
Mites

Started by rowbow on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2018, 20:14
by grinling

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 37 queries.