Moving and caring for raspberry's

• 6 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« on: September 23, 2008, 13:12 »
Hi

We currently have a load of raspberry canes that are ok but dont produce loads of fruit we think this is because they aren't in the sunniest of places so we are moving them.  We have built a support for them ready and now i just need to know how to move them.  We also have some new canes that my mum has taken from her plants to add into ours.

When do i cut them back and when is it ok to move them?, i have mainly summer fruiting but a couple of Autumn fruiting ones.  Im not too sure on which bits to trim down either, do i basically cut them down to little stumps?

Thanks for any help

gobs

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 13:48 »
Raspberries don't particularly need to receive all day's sun. There might be some other reason, why they don't fruit well.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

noshed

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 15:06 »
You could probably move them now if the leaves are turning brown. Put a load of good compost in the trench when you plant them and top dress them with rotted manure and you'll be living in rasberry heaven in the summer.
Cut the ones that have fruited down before transplanting. Leave the others to fruit next year.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 15:12 »
We've got some to move. Someone (may have been gobs and/or noshed :) ) suggested taking some old soil with it.

We've got summer fruiters. i plan to cut down the new growth to about halfway and obviously the fruited stems to a stump.

Rob 8)

DIGGER

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 15:27 »
I moved some autumn rasberrys this time last year from a unused plot, they had not been cared for and not fruited last year.
I put a heavy mulch of manure in a trench and backfilled and cut the stems right down.
Regret no fruits,may be I need to allow another year, Iv just cut them back again
In the hand of the gods

gobs

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 21:54 »
Quote from: "DIGGER"
I moved some autumn rasberrys this time last year from a unused plot, they had not been cared for and not fruited last year.
I put a heavy mulch of manure in a trench and backfilled and cut the stems right down.
Regret no fruits,may be I need to allow another year, Iv just cut them back again
In the hand of the gods

Next time you don't move autumn raspberries in prime time of fruiting. :lol:

Be happy they are alive. 8)

And stop cutting them back when they are supposed to be producing a crop, please.

I cut my autumn raspberries in February after cropping them till November.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 22:37 »
Mine are autumn fruiting, currently loaded wth fat juicy berries that I'm picking every day. They're taking over the back garden so I'll cut them down when they've finished and move them to the plot. Wasn't completely sure when was the best time for this, but gobs has answered
that question now  :D  Cheers!

xx
moving raspberry canes into pot?!?

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 20:19
by fatcat1955
xx
moving raspberry canes

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:17
by mumof4
xx
Moving Raspberry canes.

Started by sally10 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 18:33
by JayG
xx
Moving raspberry plants

Started by Rincon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2016, 22:24
by Rincon

Page created in 0.753 seconds with 36 queries.