Taming chooks

• 12 Replies

ReaderRabbit

Taming chooks
« on: September 22, 2008, 22:28 »
My 3 girls are around 24 weeks old and we've had them for 6 weeks now.  They come running to me and hubby as soon as either of us opens the door and will eat treats from our hands,  but if we go to touch them they run/fly away as fast as they can.

We are eager to get them used to being handled so that we can check them for any problems (and have a little cuddle of course  :lol: ).

They are not POL yet, so will they become more docile when they do come into lay?  On the odd occasion we've tried to catch them it has been fun and games cornering one.  We've only managed to catch FiFi (Barnebar) a couple of times and she's fine once balanced on hubby's arm but the two Wyandottes go running all over the place and last week they tried to get through the patio doors - that were closed  :shock:

Any ideas how to get them to trust us and be petted?

RR

Kate and her Ducks

Taming chooks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 22:32 »
Don't ask me. I'm still recovering from this morning's bloodbath! :oops:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=24188&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Vember

Taming chooks
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 22:39 »
Mealworms

Don't over do them as too many aint good for your girls, but mealworms will get them eating out of your hand :)

Then you can move on to the next stage of picking them up :D

Sarah

Lemon

Taming chooks
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 22:48 »
Hi RR

We have the same prob here too.  Had our girlees four weeks now and they were (I think about 20wks?) when we got them - they have been laying happily since their arrival (aren't we lucky!?).

We've had to handle them from day one from out of box into house and from there to the separate temporary pen up to their fourth day when their new enclosed pen was placed by their house.  

They have always been skittish to humans and although they too will run to us when we see them in hope of food, when you go to stroke or pick them up they do run away.  Past couple of days seem to be more difficult to catch them - I feel I'm chasing them round garden which can't be good?  Still, I persevere and pick them up for quick cuddles, but sometimes they struggle and end up flapping to the floor.

I've tried the corn in the hand - yes, they do peck it and my hand too occasionally!  But doesn't make it any easier for picking them up.  I can feed them dandelion leaves or spaghetti by holding it out to them with fingers but if I try to pick them - they know and move away.

I haven't figured the way round this one yet!  :?
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

ReaderRabbit

Taming chooks
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 22:54 »
Quote from: "Vember"
Mealworms

Don't over do them as too many aint good for your girls, but mealworms will get them eating out of your hand :)

Then you can move on to the next stage of picking them up :D

Sarah

Thanks for that Sarah - we do give them mealworms, but only Tori and Lacy the Wyandottes like them.  Fifi (my favourite) won't touch them - but she'll push anyone out of the way for corn.

Lacy will eat out of our hands beautifully but both Fifi and Tori peck quite hard so I feed them treats from a pot in my hand (I'm no masochist  :lol: )

Kate - I read about this mornings bloodbath and I didn't laugh - honest

:lol:

Hope your hand's better soon.

Lemon - well done on getting eggs from your girls - ours don't seem to realise that all the money we have spent on them (don't ask :shock: ) needs repaying in eggies - all they lay is poo :lol:

RR

Knight Family

Taming chooks
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 22:59 »
yer but poo is good for the veg patch!!
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Lemon

Taming chooks
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 22:59 »
Good luck with the taming of the chook!

I wonder if you were to dangle spaghetti for them yours would become tamer any quicker?  

Yeah - they can be violent little peckers at times!  I can't say I like feeding that way too often - I value my hand too!  :wink:

I know what you mean about the poo - for every egg they lay for us they return the favour in 10 poos each - and add a 'mustard' poo too for added stink!

.....hope not too long for your eggies?  Ours have very red combs - how about yours?

ReaderRabbit

Taming chooks
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 23:15 »
Quote from: "Lemon"
Good luck with the taming of the chook!

I wonder if you were to dangle spaghetti for them yours would become tamer any quicker?  

Yeah - they can be violent little peckers at times!  I can't say I like feeding that way too often - I value my hand too!  :wink:

I know what you mean about the poo - for every egg they lay for us they return the favour in 10 poos each - and add a 'mustard' poo too for added stink!

.....hope not too long for your eggies?  Ours have very red combs - how about yours?

I've never heard of such fussy chooks as ours.  They won't eat anything 'wet' i.e pasta, cooked veggies peelings, slugs, etc.  They will only eat corn on the cob if it's hanging up in their run but not if it's on the floor.

Tori will eat grapes but the other two won't even look at them.

We are giving them flubenvet at the moment and that's turning out to be fun

:lol:

The only way we have found to give it to them is by mixing up a small bowl for each of them with mealworms for Tori and Lacy and corn for Fifi, a pinch of flubenvet and a little olive oil to make it stick.  The fun part is getting them to eat from their own bowls - it takes 3 of us to do it otherwise Tori will just push the others out of the way and eat the contents of all 3 bowls.  Oh well 2 days down only 5 to go  :lol:

As for their combs - well I thought they were quite red until I looked at some pictures online and saw how very very red some are - oh well good job I've got lots of patience.

RR

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Taming chooks
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 23:17 »
the only really cuddly chooks we have are our 2 ambers, Roastie and Paxo. They were very timid when we got them but about a week before they started to lay they started to squat when we approached them!! now they will happily be picked up and cuddled. Our 2 new girls are still skittish and as for our 3 girls that we hand reared from hatching!!!! well they run a mile!!!! I hope they calm down once they come into lay (they're 19 wks).
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Taming chooks
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 23:23 »
My brother has a couple of ambers who seem to think him mum. they follow him everywhere and get under his feet!

All I have done with my birds is grab them and they have to get used to it. After a while they figure you mean no harm and just seem to stop running. You may need to be more forceful and grab them?
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

too many girls

Taming chooks
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:50 »
when they start laying they will probably crouch when you stand over them, you can pick them up easy then, it's the only way i can pick up some of mine, i feed them something scrummy on my knee and i don't restrain them more than a few moments and then let them go, they soon got used to it, by the way i have 27 ex barn, some are a lot more friendly than others.

ReaderRabbit

Taming chooks
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 21:56 »
Thanks for the tips everyone - I'll hang on a bit until they come into lay and see if they bow down to me as their superior mistress  :lol:

Tori was a cheeky little devil this evening - I'd left the back door open and she found her way into the kitchen - with a flap and a squawk she few up on to the top of the freezer and then when I scooted her off she left me a present on the kitchen floor  :shock:

So much for a timid chook  :lol:

RR

Kate and her Ducks

Taming chooks
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 22:02 »
Mine are being a right pain when I try to get them to bed at the moment. You'd think they'd never seen their pan and coop before! Now that I'm back off nights can get them back into a routine but they're being bug**rs at the moment!

xx
Taming chooks

Started by FCG on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 09:07
by Nats
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
New to chooks

Started by Kel of the Kirk clan on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 20:29
by freda
xx
What can chooks eat?

Started by beki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 17:37
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 29 queries.