Compost onto plot

• 27 Replies

lincspoacher

Compost onto plot
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 00:46 »
Quote from: "peapod"
dammit, does that mean digging it in? id better warn OH then :-)

No, the free nitrogen in the compost will wash out over winter.

but can i ask LP? wash out where? they can only go downwards to my way of thinking!

It degrades into other chemical compounds no use as nutrients to plants.
Thats one of the points of artificial fertilisers such as Suphate of Ammonia. You sprinkle it on top and hoe it in, and three weeks later what hasnt been absorbed by plants has turned into other chemicals adn been washed further down into the soil. In Lincolnshire, at one stage in the 70's there was so much nitrogen compounds  being washed down into the water  table we had the highest levels of water borne nitrogen in the country.

compostqueen

Compost onto plot
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 09:36 »
I don't dig anything so I'd fluff it in with the end of the fork, if that.

I like the idea of covering the soil over winter, be it with manure, compost or even plastic sheet mulch. It keeps the soil in good nick over the winter and you can either then incorporate it or move it to one side and grow spuds in it.  

Then there's green manures but I digress  8)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Compost onto plot
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 11:33 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I don't dig anything so I'd fluff it in with the end of the fork, if that.

I like the idea of covering the soil over winter, be it with manure, compost or even plastic sheet mulch. It keeps the soil in good nick over the winter and you can either then incorporate it or move it to one side and grow spuds in it.  

Then there's green manures but I digress  8)

To be honest, thats why I did it CQ, as a mulch really,  cant afford the plastic membrane stuff, Ive already covered two due to be beds with cardboard, and Ive also got some green manure to use on a smaller bed...Im going to see which one keeps the weeds down the most, as I can only get to the plot once a week tops at the mo, and even then only for three hours or so

Im not lazy, really! Just got a lot of college work to do!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ice

• muck spreader
Compost onto plot
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 12:17 »
This is gardening not a chemistry lesson.  Just do whatever you feel is right for you.  If you have the energy to dig it in then do so.  If you don't, let the worms do the work and don't stress about every tiny molecule.  Either way your soil will improve.
Cheese makes everything better.

compostqueen

Compost onto plot
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 15:00 »
I thought you meant me then til I scrolled back up  :oops:  :lol:   Bit disappointed now  8)  :D

noshed

Compost onto plot
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 15:10 »
Bung it on now. It will be grand by the spring.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Ice

• muck spreader
Compost onto plot
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 15:31 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I thought you meant me then til I scrolled back up  :oops:  :lol:   Bit disappointed now  8)  :D
It can be arranged. 8)  :lol:

drizabone

compost onto plot
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 16:00 »
I am spreading my muck all over the plot, not just for the nutrients but to add some body to my soil. It is a light sandy loam and 3 feet down is gravel, so you can imagine how quickly it dries out, hopefully once dug in it might improve the situation.

dugless

Compost onto plot
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 17:23 »
Quote from: "Ice"
I found grass clippings a problem as they caused a slimy layer that absolutely stank.  But hopefully, with turning it a bit more that will not be a problem next time.

Grass cuttings should only be put on loose compost and then 3" or 7.5c/m.
I might get a dissagreement here when I say I put my grass cuttings  a  3" layer stright on the allotment where nothing is growing It helps to keep down the weeds and eventualy the worms sort it..
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

lincspoacher

Compost onto plot
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 18:23 »
One of the reasons i compost everything is because I can get it analysed at work and a measure of the nutrient levels in it, otherwise its a bit of a guess.

All fertilisers decompose/adsorb in soil, its all to do with what you will have left in freed nutrients in 5 months time.

One thing ive learned is that horticulture isnt guesswork, or some mystic art know only to wizened little old men in flat caps with whippets and pigeons.  Its just science and common sense :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
Compost onto plot
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 19:55 »
If I were a farmer with acres of land and my living depended on it I too would adopt the scientific approach.  But, I grow veg for pleasure and some health benefits both mentally and physically.  Analysing every last detail would suck all the joy out of what I do.

Too much information can be a dangerous thing.  It can also confuse the hell out of people.

Little old men with flat caps and whippets can be a mine of information on what grows best locally.

dugless

Compost onto plot
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 07:27 »
If I were a farmer with acres of land and my living depended on it I too would adopt the scientific approach.  But, I grow veg for pleasure and some health benefits both mentally and physically.  Analysing every last detail would suck all the joy out of what I do.

Too much information can be a dangerous thing.  It can also confuse the hell out of people.

Little old men with flat caps and whippets can be a mine of information on what grows best locally.

Very True

lincspoacher

Compost onto plot
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 09:56 »

Ah but each to his own, thats the point. Do it however you feel happiest with. Personally, i like to know exactly why things happen and what should happen, and how to make it happen, and what happens if it doesnt happen, and why.

:lol:

xx
Compost heaps on the plot

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 12:53
by digital_biscuit
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford

Page created in 0.712 seconds with 36 queries.