Broody chicken

• 5 Replies

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Broody chicken
« on: September 22, 2008, 19:08 »
Hi my black star has started staying in the nest box, the first 2 days she came out mid day and carried on as usual I thought she had just taken her time laying her egg on the 3 day I went to see and found there was 3 eggs there so she had already laid I removed them and she came out but today she stayed in the nest box even after I had removed the eggs I ended up turfing her out and then having to close the house to stop her going back in I am worried that she is not getting enough to eat and drink. At night do I take her out of the nest box and put her onto the perch? I have noticed that a lot of her bum feathers are in the nest is this usual? these sound like really stupid questions but I have only had my 3 chooks for 5 weeks and I am still learning
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

Kate and her Ducks

Broody chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 19:24 »
Sounds like you've got it in one and she is broody. Think you just keep doing what you're doing and turfing her out :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mikebucks

Broody chicken
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 20:49 »
Hi aging chick, I have two hens but have only started keeping them for the last year. One ofmine keeps going broody and I looked up a olution and tried it and it seemed to work. It sounds bizzare but the idea is that as a broody has an elevated temperature you reduce it by giving her ice cube "eggs " to sit on. Worked in one day!
Mike

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Broody chicken
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 21:28 »
Hi Mike thanks for that tip I shall try it tomorrow
Diane

agapanthus

Broody chicken
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 21:47 »
Quote from: "mikebucks"
Hi aging chick, I have two hens but have only started keeping them for the last year. One ofmine keeps going broody and I looked up a olution and tried it and it seemed to work. It sounds bizzare but the idea is that as a broody has an elevated temperature you reduce it by giving her ice cube "eggs " to sit on. Worked in one day!
Mike

What a damn good idea!!!!! Do you cover them with cling-film or something so they don't 'burn' the breast?

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Broody chicken
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 21:51 »
I think I will put them into freezer bags to protect the hen and the nest box
Diane

xx
broody chicken

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 21:48
by joyfull
xx
help re broody chicken

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 20:14
by abd1964
xx
is my chicken broody or ill

Started by atwickwitch on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 10:41
by JamesFarmFood
xx
Broody Chicken.

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 22:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 36 queries.