new to veg growing please help the learner

• 7 Replies

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
« on: February 10, 2007, 12:58 »
hi all
ive just taken on a plot in worsley manchester and im nearly ready for planting i think, ive just put some peas into half drain pipe using seed compost and put them into a mini greenhouse at home my question is do i need to keep them watered.
many thanks
steve
please let me have the good life
cant cope with this one

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 13:06 »
the soil / cpmpost would need to be watered with a fine spray ,they will germinate ina  few days and then a single stem will come up with 2 leaves showing soon after  it wil need watering sparingly at this stage every other day so you dont drown them out . can i ask why you used half drain pipe to plant them in .its easier to sow them straight in the ground as this does'nt disturb the new roots , you can get a massive amount of help by reading  all the grow your own  posts on what to do to get the best results from your new plot any problems ask and you shall recieve a plethora of answers lolo . and welcome to the gang   :lol:
still alive /............

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
new to veg
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 13:34 »
thanks for the reply muntjac
i watched grow you own veg which she said that if you sowed the seed into half drain pipe you can give the seed chance to grow without getting eaten first then when ready to plant outside you simply dig a small trench then slide them straight of the pipe into the soil which doesnt disturb the roots. anyway i planted the seed last sunday and have just checked them and not a sign of any germination yet, have i done something wrong
cheers

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 13:38 »
no if its outside it to cold they wil come in thier own time ,, carol klien has some ideas .but her planting out peas like that is a real old one .15yrs approx i havent used it so cant really say how good or bad it is .other may have some ideas on it .personally it seems to me its a wasted exercise when you get the seed in the ground outside your not messing with more compost and drain/ gutter pipe.. the only thing that eats them aroud here is the woodpigeons but then i get my own back  :wink: i protect mine with wire netting and or fishing twine stretched across

beansticks

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 14:24 »
Welcome Bridgeford,bide your time you cant rush these things,they will come when they are ready,its still very early in the season.

Annie

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 16:57 »
I plantin guttering tooo but thats because of mice having tried netting,wire and traps ,only water at the start once planted then not until shoots are about 2" then sparingly.Water well when you move them in the soil to help the lot slide out,oh and don`t forget to harden them off before you put them out.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 21:42 »
I've got some guttering in the shed.  I'll think I'll have a go with that, we used to have trouble with mice when we had a lottie previously.  Don't think we ever managed to pick peas  :(

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 21:44 »
dip em in vasaline hat will fix the mice

xx
Complete Learner in need of help!

Started by Zambezi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 19:26
by Zambezi
xx
some questions for a learner

Started by Brad26 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 17:21
by barney rubble
xx
Learner still learning couple of questions

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 14:30
by stompy
xx
Nothing growing :(

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 16:55
by izzy

Page created in 0.727 seconds with 28 queries.