wireworm?

• 4 Replies

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
wireworm?
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:54 »
Just lifted all my spuds yesterday and realised i had a big probelm with worms eating the tubers.  I am not sure they were wireworm, should have taken a pic.  They were not like the typical wireworm pics you see on the internet, they were around 1cm long, white but very small in circumference, 0.5mm max and some holes had up to 15 latched on, the holes were also not as large as the typical wireworm holes, they were smaller.  Any ideas on what they are.  

Also having lifted the spuds and drying in the sun will they evacuate the holes/potatoes? i think if the OH sees them in the holes she will never eat a spud again.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
wireworm?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:04 »
Just found this on the net which may be an explanation, i reckon they could have been millipedes, anyone else ever had anything like this?

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43427

Cawdor

Ice

• muck spreader
wireworm?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:50 »
Almost my whole crop of Charlotte spuds were ruined by creatures that look like those in your link.  From what I read on there the culprit might well be millipedes, but I could not see legs on them.  But then again they were tiny.  

The only good thing is that they did not attack my Pink Fir Apple spuds at all.

Looks like a bit of chemical warfare is needed.
Cheese makes everything better.

gobs

wireworm?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 21:30 »
Millipedes indeed are the most likely culprit, Cawdor, disclosing tuber eelworm - ditylenchus destructor, some piccies up the net -, especially so.

They do not do much damage themselves, they move in after slugs, and holes dug by other bigger critters and through water cracks, etc, especially in damp soil.

You can just rub them off and use those tubers first, often there will be an enormous slug tunnel inside or similar.

Not much to worry, really.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
wireworm?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 21:31 »
i had Charlotte, Nadine, Anya (Pink for apple cross), Lady Balfour and Cara and all were attacked! Next year i think i will get them out of the ground a bit earlier.

Cawdor

xx
wireworm

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2022, 09:09
by rowlandwells
xx
wireworm

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 11:16
by Salmo
xx
wireworm

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 15:56
by GreenOwl
xx
wireworm

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 09:30
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 37 queries.