first egg at last!!!

• 26 Replies

Vivian

first egg at last!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 17:38 »
Hi  Its the best feeling ever.  My 5 hens started laying in January almost 3 months after I got them.  From only 2 eggs a week they have gradually increased in production and last week I got 19.  I think that's good going for Welsummers.  Anyway I can tell you the excitement of finding any eggs when you go into the coup never goes away.  My partner says you would think they were worth thousands of pounds the way I get excited when they've laid.  Somethings are better than money I say.  Hope you always get that good feeling when you find an egg.
There's always someone worse off than you

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
first egg at last!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 20:09 »
Brilliant psipower.  Did you take a picture  :?:

How did you cook them :?:

Aren't hens clever  :!:  :D

muntjac

first egg at last!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 21:31 »
you have a few happy birds there vivian . n welsummers are good .feed plenty of greens for even nicer eggs  :wink:
still alive /............

psipower

first egg at last!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 00:01 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Brilliant psipower.  Did you take a picture  :?:

It was 'er as did it, yer 'onor:

But judgin' by all the fuss and palava goin' on aroun' it, you'd as think he had laid it hisself

an' while the camera wuz out, she wern't goin' to miss 'er chance o' fame an' glory:

How did you cook them :?:

Boiled (to still slightly runny).

Aren't hens clever  :!:  :D

You mean the way they hop into the greenhouse when it starts raining, or to dust bath in the warm dry soil... :)  rather than squelching around in the mud? Or the endearing (or in the cochin's case 'clownish') way they run over to you when ever you pop out, thus persuading you to build them a nice large house incorporating the features their behaviour has demonstrated they like...

(oh dear - soppy human..., and veggie to boot, so they are going to live long relaxed lives...  - apart from the buzzards  :lol: )

eggs on legs

first egg at last!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 09:46 »
Been trying to load photos for weeks....will this work ?
Cherie always says:
"A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat, but then what does she know about anything".

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
first egg at last!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 10:36 »
Lovely pictures psipower How do you get your chooks to stand still long enough to take a clear picture  :shock:  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
first egg at last!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 10:37 »
Did they manage to eat the rabbit eggs on legs  :?:   Or were the put off by its radio active glow  :lol:  :lol:

eggs on legs

first egg at last!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 11:16 »
The chickens will stand still for hours if there is something to eat. I dont know why the rabbit glows - but he does like layer pellets. He thinks he is a chicken - roosts on the hutch roof with them. :shock:

Vivian

first egg at last!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 11:53 »
What lovely pictures.  Were they taken recently?  If they were, then I'm a bit  concerned about the condition of the ground where my chickens are roaming.  Your land has lush green vegetation but my chickens have reduced my orchard to a muddy barren space, devoid of anything green.  They seem to love scratching about in the mud and come into the coop looking like they are wearing shoes but I hope they will be ok not having grass to run on.  Any advice please  :(

eggs on legs

first egg at last!!!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 11:57 »
No you can relax - pictures were taken last autumn - garden is now wet and muddy. Wish I had an orchard !!!! :shock:

Vivian

first egg at last!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 12:03 »
At this rate, I won't have one for much longer.  My chickens love to scratch around the trunk of the apple trees and they are already down about 8 inches.  That in only 3 months - maybe this time next year all the trees will have toppled.

silver8

• Experienced Member
first egg at last!!!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 20:20 »
Got my first egg yesterday and another today. Over the moon - best valentine present ive ever had. On the small side but with large yolks with a wonderful colour.

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 28 queries.