Growing hawthorn - help pls!

• 9 Replies

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:41 »
Our allotment site is surrounded by a hawthorn hedge which the farmer enthusiatically flails about this time of year. However on the edge of my plot there is a good 6ft gap of nothingness which I want to re-plant with haw.

Can you take cuttings from hawthorn? I'm not sure...
The haw berries are getting nice and ripe, does any one know how to germinate them. The seed is inside the berry.. any ideas of getting the seed out and then how to prepare plant it? Will a day or two in the freezer help the seed germinate?

(I've tried training the blackbirds to excrete the digested berry and seed encased in handy drop of fertiliser straight into a seed tray but they just won't play fair...)

Any ideas folks?
ta amc

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:49 »
I have hawthorn in my lotty hedge too and I love it. the down side is that the thorns kept puncturing me wheel barrow tyre  :(  So now I have a solid one  :D

I think you could buy some good sized plants quite cheaply, or you might be able to cadge some from your local Groundwork , Woodland Trust, BTCV, or council as they like to encourage these in favour of leylandii etc. Worth a try  :D

Germinating your own is a lengthy process apparently. Have a look here  :D

http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/crataegs.php

Debz

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:50 »
I have a hawthorn on the other side of my fence and I am forever pulling little hawthorn plants out of my garden.  Are there no baby hawthorn plants under the existing hedge that you could transplant?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 22:49 »
Quote from: "Debz"
I have a hawthorn on the other side of my fence and I am forever pulling little hawthorn plants out of my garden.  Are there no baby hawthorn plants under the existing hedge that you could transplant?

That's what I've done with some seedlings that have sprung up this year under my own hawthorn.  I've potted them on into some compost and out of 9 seedlings 6 have taken so I will keep potting them on until they are big enough to go outside and I'll plug the gaps with them.

Johndeb

• Ashridge Nurseries
Hawthorn
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 15:18 »
Hi
Hawthorn cuttings can be struck, but it is such a cheap plant that you will get there quicker if you just buy some hedging hawthorn bare-rooted - the season will start in November.  This will save you a lot of time as you will need to cut your hedging back, hard, twice in order to make it bush out at the base and fill the gap so no one can get through.  If you strike cuttings, it will be next autumn before you can start doing that, so you lose a year, minimum.  If you want to find out more about the whole shebang this is a really good hedging and hedge plant resource.

Good luck
Good luck
John

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 19:53 »
thats a good link thanks compost queen, didn't know it took so long to germinate tho!!

Ta for the other ideas folks, I think I'll be finding self sets in the hedge bottom or buying some bare rooted saplings, a quick t'interweb search shows you can get em for about 35p a piece.

cheers amc

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 19:54 »
doh!

jaycee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44 »
please contact me via PM . Want to send you those gooseberry bush cutting previously promised.
Thanks
Jaycee.

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 08:55 »
Jaycee,
PM sent.
Cheers amc

Penny123

Re: Growing hawthorn - help pls!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 19:57 »
Firstly, to be sure I understood - you have vegetables growing in an area six feet away from a hawthorne hedge and want to fill the gap with more hawthornre. I was recently told by my veg growing experienced-neighbour that the reason my beans stopped growing when I put them out was their proximity to the hawthorne. It may be that the 6 foot gap was left by whoever created the plot for this reason, and you might be better to avoid having and haw closer to the veg than you have! I was looking for more info on this when I found your question! If you still want to , I would put small twigs into rooting compost indoors or greenhoused to cultivate new growth. Penny (or if you already found a way, I would be very interested to know if it effected your crops!

xx
hawthorn

Started by andyk on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 11, 2007, 21:11
by blackhobbescat
xx
Propagating Hawthorn

Started by upert on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 19:20
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Pink hawthorn

Started by DonnaM on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 14:24
by DonnaM
xx
Hawthorn Trees...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 21:47
by sion01

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 37 queries.